A Question from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

Wanna: Hacker Powers allowed, AE improvements, filling powerset holes, balance stuff.

Dontvont: paywalls, nefrs.

Edited by Purrfekshawn
  • Like 1

To keep this game safe, We have to give it to the world.

Arc ID #13097 - Archvillain Beatdown, try it out!

Arc ID #21066 - Archvillain Beatdown - Past Edition!

Letz now talk about existing Incarnate Lore Pets:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/50351-incarnate-lore-pets-look-through-fix-and-improve/

On 9/24/2019 at 5:08 PM, BurtHutt said:

t would be ideal to start pumping out new items and content.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. Unless the game is monetized to the point where the dev team can/will quit their day jobs AND hire minions we are never going to see the levels of development that existed prior to sunset. 

Right now it's easy to keep things running. They only need 4k a month to keep the lights on. You add a monthly salary to that for 5 devs (I don't how big the HC team is) and you're instantly going to 25k a month if they are willing to work cheap.  (That's a number significantly below the average game dev salary per Glassdoor and if I had the skill to be a game dev I wouldn't sell my services to anyone for that much below market value)

Do you think donations in the amount of about 1k a day are going to happen? I don't. That means they will have to generate revenue. From what? I honestly don't believe advertising will cut it. They will have to switch to a pay to play model, whether via subs or MTX. If you assume there are 5k people willing to pay a sub fee of 5$ a month, you might be able to get there. But I think that numbers a little high maybe. So more likely a mesh of a sub model and MTX's. But the MTX's are going to need a hook. Costume parts aren't going to put food on anybodies table.  (can you imagine the drama??)

That's for a 5 man team with almost absurdly low salary. And a 5 man team isn't going to be pumping out any kind of content, even on full time hours. 

So...

Don't get your hopes up about a steady stream of new content. I think we are going to see mostly upgrades and improvements to current content. Maybe another new TF or 2, maybe some better arcs, MAYBE something happening in KW. I'd be very very surprised if there was ever a new zone, or any new feature content at all.  

• Like 1

Freedom toons:

Illuminata

Phoebros

Mim

Ogrebane

5 hours ago, cejmp said:

I wouldn't get my hopes up. Unless the game is monetized to the point where the dev team can/will quit their day jobs AND hire minions we are never going to see the levels of development that existed prior to sunset. 

Right now it's easy to keep things running. They only need 4k a month to keep the lights on. You add a monthly salary to that for 5 devs (I don't how big the HC team is) and you're instantly going to 25k a month if they are willing to work cheap.  (That's a number significantly below the average game dev salary per Glassdoor and if I had the skill to be a game dev I wouldn't sell my services to anyone for that much below market value)

Do you think donations in the amount of about 1k a day are going to happen? I don't. That means they will have to generate revenue. From what? I honestly don't believe advertising will cut it. They will have to switch to a pay to play model, whether via subs or MTX. If you assume there are 5k people willing to pay a sub fee of 5$ a month, you might be able to get there. But I think that numbers a little high maybe. So more likely a mesh of a sub model and MTX's. But the MTX's are going to need a hook. Costume parts aren't going to put food on anybodies table.  (can you imagine the drama??)

That's for a 5 man team with almost absurdly low salary. And a 5 man team isn't going to be pumping out any kind of content, even on full time hours. 

So...

Don't get your hopes up about a steady stream of new content. I think we are going to see mostly upgrades and improvements to current content. Maybe another new TF or 2, maybe some better arcs, MAYBE something happening in KW. I'd be very very surprised if there was ever a new zone, or any new feature content at all.  

I pray they don't make any new zones. Don't we have enough already?!?! Seriously. 

So, I do realize the team is limited but there are many willing to also help and volunteer. My hopes? New TFs/SFs/Trials with NEW maps that are not found elsewhere. I'd prefer that over a zone. Make some new rooms/areas etc. That will give it a new look. Try not to have anything close to what we've had. Any new missions etc could take place on another planet or something like that. 

The Death From Below and Drowning in Blood are pretty popular and not too much of an ask to add something like that. Tons of players team to do those all the time. They're fun, quick and help you level. Add another one ASAP...new themes and looks, of course. 🙂

New power sets and/or AT. Not impossible here either.

Costume pieces.

Those are my asks. Add items along these lines and we don't need a ton per issue. One new TF and some costume pieces. That would be enough for me in an issue and I realize the dev team is all volunteers etc. I've also volunteered.

I honestly don't think this game will work if they hire more people that solely work on the game. I can't see anyone paying a sub. for this game. I gladly donate but I know lots do not. I'm happy to play the game and have it run for a long time.

On 9/7/2019 at 3:13 PM, Jimmy said:

Hello everyone!

Today we have a simple question for everyone: What do you want to see out of a legitimate, licensed City of Heroes server?

As a caveat, this thread is not a Q&A and we won’t be answering questions here. We’re primarily looking to gather everyone’s thoughts and feedback about what they’d like to see from us going forward - both operationally and for the game itself!

- The Homecoming Team

Well.  For starters.  Homecoming.

Revisiting some of the ATs for a brush off the dust.  See Tank Beta changes.  (Swap out the BU for 1 stack of RAGE for all non SS tanks, non drop for Ice/Stone and Energy tankers...would be a big boost.)  Blasters have already had their passover late in i24 beta.

Sure, push for change but watch the stability.  (The last patch gave me sticky buttons and powers activating 3 seconds later....)

Possible move to Unreal 4 game engine to smooth out the old graphics and give them a brush up.  The ultra mode that Paragon did gave a big lift to the look of the game.  Similarly a move to U4 might be able to give more crispness to the game at 4k resolution.  That said, I like the look of the current graphics and animation.  Part of its  charm.  Atlas Revisited project had some nice examples of how the graphics could be taken forward to a CoH 1.5.

Any chance of roping in some of the original devs on a consolation basis and get the Battalion arc and the Moon base done?  That is low hanging fruit to me.  And completes the cycle of the original studio.  Consult Matt Millar or Jack Emmert via the Dark Web. 😉

There's plenty of power sets that the villains/resistance etc use that could be turned into ATs.

Council Werewolves.  Wolf at.

Resistances with their beam guns (much better than the beam set in my view.

More epic powers.  (How come electricity epic isn't available for elec doms?)

Finish the incarnate powers (the planned ones the devs didn't finish....off?)

Sorceror AT.  Storm covers some aspects of this.  But a magic set?

There's plenty of powers out there to chop and change some of the primary assault/attack sets into different combinations to create new hybrid sets.

I'd re-engineer the incarnate trees powers into a proper Super Epic set using the standard interface.  

Re-engineer some of the zones to give them new life.  

Lift the cap to 60 but no higher.  (Why?  Chance to use your epics and incarnates.)

Content 1-50 for each AT (PB/WS style.)  So that way when you role a new alt?  You get a 'new' story customised for you.)

That's just some.

But in general.  Honour the legacy in Safe hands.

Azrael.

PS.  COH already has a lot, loads of content.  But not all of it is often played and some of it is over played.  So maybe more rewards to take different paths through the game.  That said, some of the early paths are somewhat stale even though I like them.

Edited by Golden Azrael

Hello, i would like an automatic combat mode, of more "auto click" powers in my tray (like shift/Hasten)

I'm old and my hand hurts after years of clicking in that little powers trays….

It could be an option, you activate or you just Don't, like on mobile phone games. 

Would be very helpful and nice to see my chars auto fighting, with a few parameters to adjust on your own, epic.

But i already know that many people wont like my idea. Even if its really cool because many of us got a life now, and got old and sick.

• Like 1

Another thing that occurs to me:  A proper wiki, hosted by Homecoming and supervised by GM's.  (Though the playerbase would obviously do the work.)   There's a TON of stuff in this version that completely undocumented from the player POV.

• Like 1

Unofficial Homecoming Wiki - Paragon Wiki updated for Homecoming!  Your contributions are welcome!
(Not the owner/operator - just a fan who wants to spread the word.)

Kindly "old" faces. Different bone structures from around the world. More options for animal heads. Rename P2W vendor to something in-game. Re-add Statesman. The story makes no sense without him. Ms. Liberty doesn't as his replacement. I know this one will never happen due to Statesman's owner, but a boy can dream. Make a staff that looks like a rake for a Zen garden. Here's a biggie: Leave in the enter_base_from_ macro. Since it is cheating to do this in a PVP match, suppress it in those zones completely. It's a big change to the game, but it's efficient with our time. We are already living with many other structural changes from the days of yore.

• Like 1

Put into practice that which cannot be thought

Badges: Victory: 1345 Homecoming: 1596
Discord: Blue Jay#2187

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

Three main things for me. One would be a more nuanced costume and power animation system, as this is the aspect of the game that I've always heard the most people speak of with the most fondness when it comes to City of Heroes. The second would be more game content. I think we have plenty of powersets and overpowered characters but it would be nice to have more content to use them in in a variety of different ways. The last, and one of the most interesting to me, would be an overhaul of the AI system for critters, so that we could have a greater variety of player/critter/NPC interactions. This last one would probably be pretty challenging, but a new, more nuanced A.I. for critters and NPCs would really add a lot to the gameplay experience of this game.

A few things I personally would like but the server is good where its at for now to be honest.

1.  More shared zones for villains, heroes and rogues/vigilantes as well as relevant story lines for each main alignment with consequences for your actions.

2. No excessive slimy ncsoft tenticles in the code, server, admin...  they gave it up and abandoned it because they didnt bother to read or research the western/european the market their loss let them eat crow.

3. I would want to keep the characters i made and developed but with one change  limit the characters to one account 20 or 30 but let those that made more than that keep what they made  but not let them make any more untill they trim the fat.

4. Add a third coloring option for select costume pieces mainly luminiscent gear,  so the glowing parts can be colored seprately from the standard non luminiscent parts.

5. No pay to win or "exclusive" stuff that you cant earn legitimately in game permanently or seasonably (as in earn and work towards, not rng based) I highly doubt thatll happen but  covering all bases.

6. Add some polish in the existing zones especially the origional ones so it all works code wise and graphically blends in with whats possible with the current character graphics without loosing the games original charm. Finishing the wharf would be a nice touch as well.

Edited by Dragonrage77
added a note

To see your work evolve what we loved into something better. A lot of things were wrong with City of Heroes. Not enough to make it a bad experience, not at all. But that doesn't mean things should stay the same. Anyone who wants to say that they just want city of heroes back with no changes forgets that CoH itself changed a lot over it's lifetime. I would hope you continue to change it.

I would like to see content for the first 10-20 levels updated. These levels are absolutely painful to run and not interesting enuff to power through anymore. This might get somewhat of a handle on the PLing too. I'm guilty of PLing but only to get past these levels.

Would honestly like PLing to be a thing of the past but I don't see that happening. *shrugs*

Allow me to unify my many game accounts under a single Master Account.

Let me pay a sub for that Master Account.

Let me multi-box more than 3 at once. (Off peak, low population server, etc).

Just want to see what I can achieve... and while I could do it on a homemade server I want to play i26 which isn't public AFAIK.

But ultimately I want to be able to play, I don't need anything but the servers to stay up, if I make my own it would be like playing on Pineapple, instant 50 bored after a few days.

I just remembered what else can be added, and it's related to AE.

Add some of the maps from a devastated Praetoria with access to the hamidon infested underground (from the Number Six storyarc), add the maps with a devastated Portal Corp as well as some of the maps from the New Praetorians storyarc, and finally, expand some of the zone maps to include sections of the other zones in Paragon City (IE Kings Row, Skyway, and all others not already in there).

If possible/feasible, the solo personal stortylines of all the Praetorian characters not navigated: Neuron's Personal Storyarc (which shows what happens to him), Bobcat's Personal Storyline, Mr G's, Chimera's Personal Storyline, Mother Mayhem's, Praetor White's and Citadel's Personal Storyline, as well as all the others.

If I think of other things I'll add them later.

A PvP Ladder or some sort, with perma costumes or Reward Merit prizes. That's probably a self-organizing thing though, but mostly a way to get +HP accolades across my alts without re-grinding them. Would pay some amount of $ for this. For Arena/PvP zones only, of course!. 😄

Alright I know this thread is old now but I just thought of this while playing last night. Why don't we have access to all the costume pieces used for villain NPCs? Being able to use some of the Tsoo accessories like the various weapon sheathes they have would be awesome. Same with the Knives of Vengeance, they have some cool pieces that we don't have access to in the character creator. 

File:Tsoo Crane Enforcer 01.jpg

Like check the dual sheath, I need that in my life

Edited by wcubero383