A Question from The Homecoming Team

Jimmy

2 hours ago, chi1701 said:

im tri form and what buffs? mean inherent fitness in forms, or 2 attacks in forms?

Base damage changes, nova forms are higher than human form attacks

bigger +dmg% buff to nova form

some utility stuff got changed around, and you can now shapeshift while in light form

rest i just cant remember because of 7 or 8 year timegap

You can use Human form's Eye attacks in Nova form.  Glinting Eye (and whatever shades are called) hits harder than nova's second single target attack whos name also escapes me.

And you can use Human form's Bolt attacks in Dwarf form.

I only use human form to travel, nuke and use utilities.

You can -sort- of achieve that by hosting your own virtual server, @borgking001a.  It's been a long while since I've looked in to it, but I expect OuroDev still has all the handy details.
The only problem will be that you won't be playing on Homecoming's branch of the City of Heroes code, and wouldn't have all their specific features and content.  Nor would you be able to use the characters from your virtual server on Homecoming or vice-versa.

So, in regard to that . . . I turn my attention to The Team, and say . . . release the Homecoming branches for personal server use, pretty please!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GraspingVileTerror said:

You can -sort- of achieve that by hosting your own virtual server, @borgking001a.  It's been a long while since I've looked in to it, but I expect OuroDev still has all the handy details.
The only problem will be that you won't be playing on Homecoming's branch of the City of Heroes code, and wouldn't have all their specific features and content.  Nor would you be able to use the characters from your virtual server on Homecoming or vice-versa.

So, in regard to that . . . I turn my attention to The Team, and say . . . release the Homecoming branches for personal server use, pretty please!

I don't expect it to happen, but I would be a very happy camper if they released i27 server/client.  Not very likely to happen though due to, well you know...  😞  

As for @borgking001a, yes you can get everything (including instructions) from OuroDev but you will either be setting up a server with i25/i26 code (and client) or the OuroDev folks have their own branch they continue to develop independent of HC so you would be playing a slightly different game in some aspects but still CoX.  In addition to being able to get everything you need and set it up completely from scratch yourself the Ouro folks also have some premade virtual machines that can be setup more easily.  I use the term 'easily' kind of loosely here - it can still be a pain even with the vm's especially if you are new to VMware or Hyper-V.  They also have a Discord and they are wonderful at helping folks (where they can).

Lastly, your characters and progression etc would be only in your own server - your HC toons have to be played on the HC server online to progress those characters.  But still it would give you the option to play something👍

Edited to add:  Because you said your internet is terrible I have to warn you downloading these files to set up your own server will potentially be a bit of a challenge (also note they use magnet links so you will need to have something that works with those).  If someone else you know nearby has a fast internet setup it might be faster to see if you can utilize someone's better download speed (take your pc/laptop to their house and use their connection or perhaps have them download for you and copy files to a portable drive to move them to your pc). 

Edited by KauaiJim

Want to see my current list of characters?  Want to know more about me than you ever wanted to know?

Wish Granted!   Check out the 'About Me' in my profile:   KauaiJim - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

• 3 months later
On 9/7/2019 at 10:13 AM, Jimmy said:

Hello everyone!

Today we have a simple question for everyone: What do you want to see out of a legitimate, licensed City of Heroes server?

As a caveat, this thread is not a Q&A and we won’t be answering questions here. We’re primarily looking to gather everyone’s thoughts and feedback about what they’d like to see from us going forward - both operationally and for the game itself!

- The Homecoming Team

• New zones with missions and task forces and introductions to new hero/villain NPC's. 
  • New costumes! Absolutely this, there's a lot that can be taken apart from NPC appearances.
  • More base parts and elevated base part number limits for certain.
  • Elevated limited for global chat channels and zones.
  • Perhaps, and this a wild shot in the dark sort of cloud 13 sort of wish, more refined tools for UI adjusting, and additional window options for macro building to save account wide.

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

On 5/28/2021 at 5:14 AM, borgking001a said:

The ability to play offline in a single player mode.  Mainly because my internet is terrible right now.

I'd pay good money to be able to download the current version of Homecoming's server software and simply click install and have it run without needing to have lots of technical skills.

"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire posts, the posts become warning points. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

For me it's important to keep it a lot like the original game but more open world, more pvp, more end game content like doing big missions together. Also the architect place to make your own content should have a lot of (balanced) options.

The cities should feel immersive. Like there is a lot of random things going on with the people, police etc. and it should generally feel like a real city. People buying, selling, talking, laughing, media outlets with news about current events. Anything that makes you feel like you are in a real city. Also if you're a Hero you should get penalties for doing unlawful things and if you take it too far you become a villain. If you are a villain and you are doing good things you should become a hero. More fluid than going rogue (no rogue, if you go neutral you are a citizen. No superpowers but still able to do gta-like things). You can get caught by police or chased by gangs. Make sure the choices people make have real impact but it should not be easy to get on top. The work to really get good at what you do should be meaningful.
Working together should stay a big part of the game. Community vitalises the game. So cities can be taken over by villains and gang but can be reclaimed by the heroes.

Don't focus too much on making the game pretty. Meaningful gameplay and immersion is what is important. Don't make the DLC mistake. Let people reward you for making a good game with donations (people who love your game are generous and if they see you have a fair model compared to others i think you will get more rewards than the greedy cashcow tactics of today) or buying the full game and perhaps with a low monthly fee. But make sure the time you pay for only is spent in the game. Not when you are not playing it.

3 hours ago, Braptist2 said:

Don't focus too much on making the game pretty. Meaningful gameplay and immersion is what is important. Don't make the DLC mistake. Let people reward you for making a good game with donations (people who love your game are generous and if they see you have a fair model compared to others i think you will get more rewards than the greedy cashcow tactics of today) or buying the full game and perhaps with a low monthly fee. But make sure the time you pay for only is spent in the game. Not when you are not playing it.

Um, HC has already stated the game will forever remain free, no DLC's or hooks like that, no reason to when it's the community that's helping run it. The whole thing is volunteer ran, what donations are given pay for hosting the wiki, the game virtual servers and that's it. No perks, no special trumpets or flares. This is an old game, a relic of it's time, and honestly? Until you've played, you won't see how immersive the game really is until you watch the activity of the npc's, and see how they respond to heroes and villain's both. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Roleplaying mentor volunteer, and mentorship contributor.

Chatrange Popmenu/Where to find me/Beginners Links

blinkiesCafe-Ov.gif.461b52017365412a34160eb002f74cfe.gif

Yeah i got you guys confused with the original makers of the game, i just followed a link i got. Now i see this is homecoming and i know you guys aren't about payments like that. Also i thought this was about ideas for City of heroes 2. So that's a big misunderstanding. I didn't mean to be demanding or rude.

Then for homecoming i'd love to see (as before mentioned) city immersion with gang attacks,invasions big events that make people come together and face the common foe. More options for the architect, end game content and more different enemies, open world pvp, pvp arena,battleground and missions. Stuff that keeps the game going from being grindy to being more dynamic. Also it would be great if the looking for group and missions was easier.

I hope this isn't too demanding or anything i just like to share my imagination on what would be cool.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wishlist for "Official" Servers

-Continued Stories

-Updated Storylines to smooth them out

-Scaling Contacts to match your level (I know Ouroburos etc does similar, but that feels like it pulls us from the world)

-More Supergroup content (Base Items etc)

-Possibly Updates too the Model for characters (Fingers please if possible)

-More Badges (Possibly more categories of them)

-More Costume Sets and possibly more "Plain Clothes" or NPC outfits

Otherwise I'm more than happy to just play whats here. I really did miss this

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, SableShrike said:

A balance pass on Pool attacks is needed.

It makes perfect sense to have them be slightly worse than Primary or Secondary powers, but as of right now a lot of them are straight garbage.

Lookin at you, Flurry and Jump Kick…

Make the Flurry animation three times faster and do three times the damage, but last five seconds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

7 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Make the Flurry animation three times faster and do three times the damage, but last five seconds.

See, I'd be cool with that!  I like that Pools give us options to build in non-standard directions, but with a lot of the attacks being so terribly bad we as of now can't do that.

I think Flurry should be a Smashing-only AoE cone like Sands of Mu, too.

For "good" Pool attacks we have Air Superiority, Arcane Bolt (which got fixed recently), Spring Attack, and Cross Punch.

In short, I wanna have the ability to use other Pool attacks and still be viable.

Edited by SableShrike

Just now, SableShrike said:

See, I'd be cool with that!  I like that Pools give us options to build in non-standard directions, but with a lot of the attacks being so terribly bad we as of now can't do that.

For "good" Pool attacks we have Air Superiority, Arcane Bolt (which got fixed recently), Spring Attack, and Cross Punch.

In short, I wanna have the ability to use other Pool attacks and still be viable.

Yeah exactly, I like the balancing they've done with the other pool attacks so far, so I'm confident they'll get Flurry and Jump Kick in a good place too. 

Pocket D Zone Tour

Best Post Ever.... 568068478_BestContentEverSignature.png.4ac4138c1127616ebdcddfe1e9d55b57.png

Flurry presently has a small chance to Stun, right?

Maybe Flurry should be a moderate-to-high chance to Confuse instead.

After all, there are already plenty of Pool and Ancillary Powers which can Slot Stun Sets.  It would be nifty if everyone had the opportunity for a weak Confuse (and naturally more potent for Controllers and Dominators).

• Like 1

Flurry should be a cone, but also have a good chance to give +Recharge so you can spam it to get your good powers up faster, as an alternative to Hasten.

• Thumbs Up 1

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

Do you want Speed to be the pool for Speedsters, or do you want it to be any of the pools that lets you slot Luck of the Gamblers? Since Flurry is so lackluster it would have to be a good bonus if you're going to spend time using it.

Check out my stories in the Mission Architect. Just search for "@Take One" or "SFMA". Here are some enticing titles:

• Praetoria-related: Earth Revolution Red, Earth Revolution Blue
  • Mercenary Action: West Libertalia: Born And Raised, West Libertalia: Global Empire, West Libertalia: Love And Rockets
  • Soldier of Arachnos Arcs: The Tangled Weave, A Taste For Evil, Faultline By Night, The Warburg Connection,
  • Various: Project Dragon, Evolve Or Die, The Murders in the RWZ Morgue, The Last Crystal Out Of Cimerora

5 minutes ago, Take One said:

Do you want Speed to be the pool for Speedsters, or do you want it to be any of the pools that lets you slot Luck of the Gamblers? Since Flurry is so lackluster it would have to be a good bonus if you're going to spend time using it.

Let's add knockback so we can slot Force Feedback +Rech procs!

• Thumbs Up 1

Pocket D Zone Tour

Hope. At least maybe some increased functionality of some sub content such as Day Jobs etc. Costume Sets are always a plus.

- "Lost my mind, went looking for it, now I'm lost too..."

I am on Excelsior - @The Game Changer - I am active (7am Eastern / 5pm Eastern)  

Got another idea for a possible MasterMind pet, Dragons with an Evolutionary-like upgrades. To start with, the First summons can have 3 Lindwurms-type dragons being around the size of Dogs and when you upgrade them each time they evolve into different dragon-type for each one while also growing in size in order from Dog size to Bear size to the same size as the Second Demon summon skill in Demon Summoning. The First of them will be a Fire-type Lindwurm and when you evolve that one he grows back legs and gains new Fire powers as a new features along with the normal dragon features like more developed horns, more muscle, etc, with the second upgrade evolving it into a classic western dragon similar to the one like in the Dragonheart movie franchise or Eragon or like the Dragons from the Fairy Tail anime series. The Second of them will be a female Ice-type with only the Back-Legs instead of the Front-Legs that evolves into a Wyvern gaining Storm summoning as a secondary power as it evolves, and the last one will be a Earth-type that evolves into a Behemoth (Dragon or Drake, its up to the devs) gaining Nature as a secondary power as it evolves. The 2nd summons skills will summon two different dragons with their sizes starting from Bear size to Demon size then a size close to Assault Bot size, the First Dragon will be another Wyvern with Lightning elements, basically becoming a Lightning-Wyvern (with full lightning powers like electrical/electrical affinity for example) and the second one being an Eastern dragon as a full on Psychic Chinese Dragon (feel like the gender should be female since a Psychic Dragons makes me think its colors would be pinkish-purple or just purple for some reason) which sounds kind of interesting in some way since when is the last time or if there has ever been any dragons using only Psychic powers comparable to people like Jean Grey and Scarlet Witch (at least I think she's using psychic powers idk). And the last one would be an Elder Black Western Dragon with their size starting from Demon size with their size increasing as they evolve (upgrade) until they're bigger than the Demon Prince and Assault Bot if they were standing next to the Dragon on either side of them, their powers will be a combination of Fire/Darkness powers in a slightly unique way with the Fires he/she uses turning black once they start getting more darkness powers (along with fire powers) as it evolves and obviously being very powerful, it can even have the whole Umbral Beast power but when it uses that, the shadow forms a random dragon type (Body-type wise) with the same powers in any forms instead of a wolf. The Dragons combat roles would be like this if I had to guess it from their powers, 1st summon minions in order: Fire: DPS, Ice: DPS/CC, Earth: Tank/Healer. 2nd summon minions: Lightning: DPS/Support/CC, Psychic: Support DPS. 3rd summon minion: Elder: DPS/Tank. And if they ever do get added they should come with their own flight skills (like Robots should also have since they have that flight animations) when they either evolve to a certain stage to grow wings for it or using their powers to fly, like for example the Behemoth, if it doesn't get wings in its final form, it can fly like Terra on Teen Titans did with the rest of them using their wings to fly obviously.

• Confused 2