Update Posters for Inflation

Apparition

Some of the posters and billboards throughout Paragon City and The Rogue Isles have unrealistic pricing.  Like this:

cityofheroes_iJ169FOeE4.thumb.png.2bd7ca3ccd1307b9e92634fedd3c75d8.png

That Snoopers Troopers poster shows background checks for $99.  That's obviously 2005 pricing.  If you adjust for inflation, that should be $131.

/s

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I dunno, maybe it's because I live in a smaller town, but I boggle at those Pinnacle Apartments that start at $399,999. Mostly because the practice of actually buying your apartment, as opposed to renting, is odd to me (though I'm aware it does happen in some places), but also that one can buy a house with property around here for less than that, 15 years after those billboards "went up".

Edited by RikOz

17 minutes ago, RikOz said:

I dunno, maybe it's because I live in a smaller town, but I boggle at those Pinnacle Apartments that start at $399,999. Mostly because the practice of actually buying your apartment, as opposed to renting, is odd to me (though I'm aware it does happen in some places), but also that one can buy a house with property around here for less than that, 15 years after those billboards "went up".

Considering condominiums near my work go for $1 million on average, starting at $400,000 seems about right to me for 2005.

40 minutes ago, RikOz said:

Yeah, but condos and apartments aren't quite the same thing.

Many times in a high-rise condominium (or a co-op), each unit will be CALLED "apartment ###".

For example, I searched Zillow for condominiums and co-ops in Boston.  The top result "apartment 615" in it's building .... and it's listed for $1,168,000 ... for a 2-bedroom unit, roughly 1,100 square feet of space, and not even in the heart of Boston (it's in East Boston, not far from the airport ... two blocks or so away from Maverick Station on the Blue Line).  Granted, it's a corner penthouse unit, but still...

47 minutes ago, RikOz said:

Yeah, but condos and apartments aren't quite the same thing.

When renting, yes.

When buying ... "apartment" is often used as a short-hand for "garden style" condominium and co-op units (as opposed to townhouses, which have yards).

Also, the apartment building my mom rented a unit in when I was age 15-19, is now condominiums, so there's also that.

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Ooooooooh, yeah.  The town I live in hasn't even got a 6-story building.  The nearest "city", Lowell Massachusetts, has a handful of buildings over 5 or 6 stories (and one of them belongs to the University).

But in Boston?  In and around the Financial District?  Thirty, forty, fifty story buildings, three and four to a block.  A large number of them being chock full of condominiums.  And boy let me tell you, the price on some of THEM ...!

Hell, here's one that leaped out at me:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/220-Boylston-St-APT-1412-Boston-MA-02116/59176152_zpid/

It's on the 14th floorof a 15-story building, right across the street from the Boston Public Gardens.  2 beds, 2 Baths, just under 1,700 square feet, with valet parking and one deeded garage parking space.

The asking price?

$3,295,000 USD ... with an HOA fee of $3,596/month and a tax bill of $23,570/year.  Oh, and no pets allowed... 

(EDIT to add: there's a $5.5M unit in the same building, and a $6.85M unit in the building next door ...)

Edited by PaxArcana

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

Ha.  That's the core of Boston, in the most densely-built part of it.  And more, that's a building right on the Public Gardens.  Essentially, it's roughly the Boston equivalent of Park Avenue.

Down toward Roslindale, West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain, and Hyde Park - IOW in the far south of the city - you can find condominiums for between $200K and $400K, or full-on "house with a yard" for $300K to $550K.  🙂

• 2 years later
On 9/8/2019 at 8:13 PM, Apparition said:

Some of the posters and billboards throughout Paragon City and The Rogue Isles have unrealistic pricing.  Like this:

cityofheroes_iJ169FOeE4.thumb.png.2bd7ca3ccd1307b9e92634fedd3c75d8.png

That Snoopers Troopers poster shows background checks for $99.  That's obviously 2005 pricing.  If you adjust for inflation, that should be $131.

/s

Isn't CoH set in 2005? I mean, it's way before all the bad stuff happened!

8 minutes ago, Herotu said:

Time is funky in CoH.  I mean, clearly there were advances in the story line.  The Rikti invaded twice and were fought back, twice.  Sister Psyche and Statesman both died.  We watched Penelope Yin grow from a kid into the world's strongest psychic and become a valuable member of the Freedom Phalanx.  But yet, there are telephone booths everywhere, which were already antiquated by 2012, you can see Windows XP and CRT monitors everywhere, which again were already antiquated by 2012, and on some computers you even see Windows 98, which was way antiquated by 2012.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, just consider it 'alternate universe' and call it day 😛

• Thumbs Up 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

1 hour ago, Herotu said:

There's different ways to look it things in-game.  In a sense, "time = level" when it comes to the zones; Events taking place in PI occur after the stuff you experienced in Atlas and all the zones leading up to it...

Edited by biostem

Yeah... I would rather *not* bring modern-day issues or concerns into CoH;  If you want to do something like that, decorate your SG base to reflect current-day pricing or create some AE missions in that vein...

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

Time is funky in CoH.  I mean, clearly there were advances in the story line.  The Rikti invaded twice and were fought back, twice.  Sister Psyche and Statesman both died.  We watched Penelope Yin grow from a kid into the world's strongest psychic and become a valuable member of the Freedom Phalanx.  But yet, there are telephone booths everywhere, which were already antiquated by 2012, you can see Windows XP and CRT monitors everywhere, which again were already antiquated by 2012, and on some computers you even see Windows 98, which was way antiquated by 2012.

No sheep anywhere, badgers in every household, technological differences, mad scientists running things, shapeshifters... we're playing in Walternate's universe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get busy living... or get busy dying.  That's goddamn right.

10 hours ago, biostem said:

There's different ways to look it things in-game.  In a sense, "time = level" when it comes to the zones; Events taking place in PI occur after the stuff you experienced in Atlas and all the zones leading up to it...

I don't want to derail the thread, but I am confused about the timeline as I play the game - particularly the later events when you're probably max level. I remember that crey stuff was around 50 from the original game, but the extra content boggled my poor ickly brainypops 😞

On 6/8/2022 at 6:37 PM, Luminara said:

No sheep anywhere, badgers in every household, technological differences, mad scientists running things, shapeshifters... we're playing in Walternate's universe.

Socially Sanctioned Costumed Aggression with a Clearly Defined, if Intentionally Complex set of Rules? ..... Check.

Para-military organization that roams the streets in an attempt to police costumed weirdos? ...... Check.

Opposing, also para-military, shadowy organization attempting to keep the Antagonists organized? ..... Check.

Super-Scientists? ...... Check.

Cloning? ...... Check.

Sidekicks and Bodyguards? ..... Check.

The Cities are the closest I am going to get to living in the Venture Universe, and I sort of like to think about it that way. 😄

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

I have to get background checked for my job, it was only about fifty bucks until maybe say 2017?  So the Snooper poster price was someone gouging for the service back then!  These days that price is about right - and still a rip-off when you consider all it is is someone typing your name into a data base and then going "nope, no matches.  That'll be ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS please."  Talk about villains!

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝