Costume Request Thread!

QueenBethari

So this is my current look for Kiluaea, a Hawaiian rookie hero and Earth/Fire Dominator with lava theme. 

I'm just increasingly not sure I'm feeling a lot of elements, and now that she's level 50 I find myself avoiding her original costume. I feel like the abundance of leather and gold maybe isn't right for getting the idea of 'volcano shaman' across.

image.thumb.png.656ee6ea3f9adc319aee28467880c2fb.pngimage.thumb.png.aae5ff7ab0822bac7a324d8841292932.png

I like the extremely long dark hair, but I think she needs a forehead object of some sort to break up all that forehead space, be it a set of goggles, or a tiara or headband. I've been messing with the barbarian headband and the Resistance goggles. I feel like I'm conceptually married to the Cybertech top and the glowing orange marks on her skin. I like the combination of carnie belt and Talons skirt, but I worry that the orange is overpowering and going to turn her into a traffic cone. I've just been staring at it so long I don't even know what to think anymore. I'm totally stuck, can anyone offer suggestions into making her a proper island-girl heroine?

image.thumb.png.ea0bafeb15962c595548c61659668bc1.png

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

3 hours ago, Crasical said:

but I worry that the orange is overpowering

Yes. Everything is proceeding precisely as pla... oowhat now...? Oh um yes, well obviously

when dealing with such a potent and awesome color it is best to use it sparingly. 07K1tHnz_o.png

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Haha 1

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

3 hours ago, Crasical said:

So this is my current look for Kiluaea, a Hawaiian rookie hero and Earth/Fire Dominator with lava theme. 

I'm just increasingly not sure I'm feeling a lot of elements, and now that she's level 50 I find myself avoiding her original costume. I feel like the abundance of leather and gold maybe isn't right for getting the idea of 'volcano shaman' across.

I'm totally stuck, can anyone offer suggestions into making her a proper island-girl heroine?

I went slightly off in my own direction -- brown and orange is hard to work with alone, so I wanted to brighten things up a little, thus the red. I get that it's not technically accurate to the actual color of lava/magma, but hey, ice isn't blue in real life either, all the cold-themed heroes wear it anyway because it suggests things even if they aren't literally true.

I liked the way the tattoos on the original design played with the Barbarian Ring, so I kept it, but changed the color of the ring to look more like obsidian. Glowing "lava" on (under?) her skin is a fun theme, so the Bioluminescence face adds a bit to that while also making the general head area more interesting, and keeping the same hairstyle you already had hides the monstrous-looking scaly parts in the back.

The big flaming back piece helps her look more powerful and impressive, I think. Rainbow path aura because, well, Hawaii I guess.

kilauea.png

kilauea.costume

Edited by Mjolnerd

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

Hmmm, the barbarian skirt and talon wraps are making the gears turn again. As does the robe top...

And yeah, I do two versions of this combo, one with the big fiery sigil and bioplasmic aura, one without, for 'powered up!' moments. It's a good pick.

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

... I know you said you wanted to keep the cybertech top, but hear me out...
The "Fire and Ice" fire top looks like glowing lava!
I tried a version of this with that fiery backpack, too, but I don't really think it needs it.

I used the seismic path aura colored orange to suggest that the extreme heat she puts out is causing the ground to crack and even melt a little.

I hope you like it!
 kilauea.thumb.png.64d6ba2e6b13bada067f6dd46bfe60e9.png

kilauea.costume

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mjolnerd said:

so the Bioluminescence face adds a bit to that while also making the general head area more interesting

That is the Organic Armor face Mjolnerd, Bioluminescence is not very human looking. 07K1tHnz_o.png

• Thanks 4

07K1tHnz_o.png

On 4/9/2021 at 8:16 PM, Crasical said:

image.thumb.png.656ee6ea3f9adc319aee28467880c2fb.pngimage.thumb.png.aae5ff7ab0822bac7a324d8841292932.png

I like the extremely long dark hair, but I think she needs a forehead object of some sort to break up all that forehead space, be it a set of goggles, or a tiara or headband. I've been messing with the barbarian headband and the Resistance goggles. I feel like I'm conceptually married to the Cybertech top and the glowing orange marks on her skin. I like the combination of carnie belt and Talons skirt, but I worry that the orange is overpowering and going to turn her into a traffic cone. I've just been staring at it so long I don't even know what to think anymore. I'm totally stuck, can anyone offer suggestions into making her a proper island-girl heroine?

image.thumb.png.ea0bafeb15962c595548c61659668bc1.png

hs.JPG

• Like 3

I could use input on my current main. She is my vigilante RPSG's answer to Doctor Strange, Scarlet Witch, etc. i.e. the token magic one. I did not want to go full-on witch with her costume because she has a more organic backstory - street urchin who survived using powers she didn't know she had. I was really digging the costume until I saw her in a Dark Astoria cutscene with a bunch of NPCs and she just looked bland in comparison. I would like to keep the headpiece, since it gives her a unique silhouette compared to the rest of my toons who are in more traditional bodysuits, but I think it could maybe use more flair somewhere?

Kind of hard to tell from the SS but the bolero, chest and headpiece are dark purple, and the pants are black/purple with the Malaise pattern.

roulette.png

Edited by Sovereigne
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Grindingsucks said:

@Sovereigne  I actually think this costume is really cool looking.  I dunno, maybe you just need to switch up to a brighter color scheme?  Try playing around with different colors in the costume editor.  Maybe you'll find something that is more appealing to you.

Thank you for the input. I messed around with the colors and came up with a couple options that "pop" a little more than the original, where the purple and black sort of blended together. Still working on the character bio too - haven't figured out how to bridge the gap between hustler and sorceress - so inspiration may strike again when I have a better handle on her. Thanks again!

Roulette color change.png

1 minute ago, Grindingsucks said:

@Sovereigne  Looking good!  Make sure you play around with the auras, too.  Those can add a really interesting look to a character.

Oh for sure! I'm holding my breath for Soul Noir to be added as a permanent aura, she's a Dark/ troller so has that effect on most of the time and it fits really well:

soul noir.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sovereigne said:

I could use input on my current main. She is my vigilante RPSG's answer to Doctor Strange, Scarlet Witch, etc. i.e. the token magic one. I did not want to go full-on witch with her costume because she has a more organic backstory - street urchin who survived using powers she didn't know she had. I was really digging the costume until I saw her in a Dark Astoria cutscene with a bunch of NPCs and she just looked bland in comparison. I would like to keep the headpiece, since it gives her a unique silhouette compared to the rest of my toons who are in more traditional bodysuits, but I think it could maybe use more flair somewhere?

Kind of hard to tell from the SS but the bolero, chest and headpiece are dark purple, and the pants are black/purple with the Malaise pattern.

Keeping most of your elements and colour choices intact, and riffing off your second comment about bridging the gap between her street life and magical potential...

image.thumb.png.a4d167a41df709129b1739065cc9687c.png

notscarletwitch.costume

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

9 hours ago, Sovereigne said:

I agree that the current look is already pretty solid, but I think there's potential for something more, too. Here's my try at it.

I went a little witchier(?), hopefully not too witchy. I did lighten up the purple a bit, but I also set that lighter shade against more black -- hopefully the contrast helps the areas of bright color "pop" a little better. Dark on dark, even the slightly-lighter-dark I put in there, can look muddy without some kind of strong accent color, and I've always found a glowing neon green to be a good balance with a black/purple/gold combo (plus it looks all magic-y!), thus the belt and aura. It's tempting with a "dark" character to stay away from bright colors and light sources in the design, but I think it adds something by making the dark parts feel darker by comparison.

witch.png

witch1.png

witchywoman.costume

• Like 3

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

On 4/19/2021 at 3:51 PM, Sovereigne said:

roulette.png

I like the original costume too, it's nice and clean. Here's my take if you're looking for an alternate look.

uw.thumb.JPG.47eeba008451a6b551a2adfa54ef59e8.JPG

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 2:51 PM, Sovereigne said:

I could use input on my current main................................

I would like to keep the headpiece............ but I think it could maybe use more flair somewhere?

roulette.png

On 4/19/2021 at 8:51 PM, Sovereigne said:

.............. options that "pop" a little more than the original, where the purple and black sort of blended together.

.................. haven't figured out how to bridge the gap between hustler and sorceress

nfRxN3fY_o.jpg

Okay so keep the headpiece but something that "pops" more.

You know other than using straight color to make something pop

you can let contrast & the shapes/contours do the heavy lifting for you.

For me at distance read my eyes are drawn to the gold of the belt and gloves.

I took the gold from there & moved it up to her head to draw the focal point up.

I then changed the belt to a purple sash with silver ring to blend back in and changed

the gloves to a more bulky design to add flair to her silhouette. I changed her hairstyle to

something that didn't collide with the head gear so much and it also added to the V shaped

point neck/collar piece by making it more of a triple point or even heart shaped in the negative

space with her cleavage. Went with a different mask to open up the area around her eyes and bring

the neck V up onto her face and chin also so more about the design reads as "pointy" from a distance.

Finally I changed her boots to have Barbarian Fur adding more diagonal white shapes to match the

shoulder Bolero shape and then added the rings on instead of bindings to match her belt ring.

Overall I think it "pops" more & reads better at distance without losing the color scheme. 

As for bridging the gap maybe keep some less impressive items like the simple cloth

wrapped gloves she hung on to rather than replace with fancy golden gauntlets?

Anywho that's my take on her @Sovereigne and you have several other great

options here to incorporate into your design. Best of luck with your Bio! zb7XgP0P_o.png

01Roulette.costume

• Like 7

07K1tHnz_o.png

1 hour ago, Christopher Robin said:

nfRxN3fY_o.jpg

Okay so keep the headpiece but something that "pops" more.

You know other than using straight color to make something pop

you can let contrast & the shapes/contours do the heavy lifting for you.

For me at distance read my eyes are drawn to the gold of the belt and gloves.

I took the gold from there & moved it up to her head to draw the focal point up.

I then changed the belt to a purple sash with silver ring to blend back in and changed

the gloves to a more bulky design to add flair to her silhouette. I changed her hairstyle to

something that didn't collide with the head gear so much and it also added to the V shaped

point neck/collar piece by making it more of a triple point or even heart shaped in the negative

space with her cleavage. Went with a different mask to open up the area around her eyes and bring

the neck V up onto her face and chin also so more about the design reads as "pointy" from a distance.

Finally I changed her boots to have Barbarian Fur adding more diagonal white shapes to match the

shoulder Bolero shape and then added the rings on instead of bindings to match her belt ring.

Overall I think it "pops" more & reads better at distance without losing the color scheme. 

As for bridging the gap maybe keep some less impressive items like the simple cloth

wrapped gloves she hung on to rather than replace with fancy golden gauntlets?

Anywho that's my take on her @Sovereigne and you have several other great

options here to incorporate into your design. Best of luck with your Bio! zb7XgP0P_o.png

Your explanation has taken my own "mindlessly make 10 variations of the same idea and pick the one you hate the least" process into question. I have an art degree so I can't even write it off as lack of knowledge. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Yellowjacket said:

Your explanation has taken my own "mindlessly make 10 variations of the same idea and pick the one you hate the least" process into question. I have an art degree so I can't even write it off as lack of knowledge. 

Yeah CR does that a lot. It'd be annoying if I didn't also feel like I was learning something every time I read the orange text. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, DJ1 said:

Oof mission accomplished that pops for sure. Think someone forgot the costume file again though. :classic_wink:

Yep. Sorry I keep thinking once someone sees the image

they can just copy it from knowledge of the CC.

I went back and added the costume file.

35 minutes ago, Yellowjacket said:

Are we talking art history here or do you draw/paint/sculpt or something as well?

21 minutes ago, DJ1 said:

Yeah CR does that a lot. It'd be annoying if I didn't also feel like I was learning something every time I read the orange text. 

Lol it sounds like there may be a compliment buried in there somewhere, thanks? rs4wmRnk_o.gif

• Like 5

07K1tHnz_o.png

Thanks Sovereigne and you're quite welcome, glad it helped. zb7XgP0P_o.png

Bonus points to @Mjolnerd for a cool take on the costume and for

slipping an Eagles reference into his costume file. I see what you did there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

07K1tHnz_o.png