Costume Request Thread!

QueenBethari

16 minutes ago, ScarySai said:

My two newest characters that I put some extra costume love into.

These look great, but I think you were looking for this thread: 

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

• 3 weeks later

Currently working on making a Praetorian version of my villain Death Mute. She was burned in a Longbow raid and her throat/face were cyberized by a villain, and now she uses sound powers to get revenge on longbow and commit crimes to pay for her treatment. Her Praetorian version was injured by the Resistance, and cyberized by a Government scientist, and now uses her cyber eyes and PPD equipment to maintain order and keep others from getting hurt how she was. Sort of at that stage where im like This looks cool, but is it what I want? Does it communicate that they're flips of the same character? I want the second one to be more cybernetic, but its hard cause like I can't use jackets. Anywho if anyone has ideas or input on anything from costume pieces to colors, I'd love some help!

Death Mute Uncolored.png

Death Glare.png

• Like 1

unknown.png

This is Jungfrau. Natural origin Trick Arrow/Archery Defender, blueside.

Swiss olympic archer with a grudge against the Council, her left arm is a memory-metal prosthetic than can snap out into a bow to let her fight crime with a variety of gadget arrows.

I'm not feeling entirely satisfied with her costume and I'm not really sure why. Suggestions, critiques, improvements all welcome.

• Like 1

Tanking is only half the battle. The other half...

16 hours ago, Thayn said:

Currently working on making a Praetorian version of my villain Death Mute. She was burned in a Longbow raid and her throat/face were cyberized by a villain, and now she uses sound powers to get revenge on longbow and commit crimes to pay for her treatment. Her Praetorian version was injured by the Resistance, and cyberized by a Government scientist, and now uses her cyber eyes and PPD equipment to maintain order and keep others from getting hurt how she was. Sort of at that stage where im like This looks cool, but is it what I want? Does it communicate that they're flips of the same character? I want the second one to be more cybernetic, but its hard cause like I can't use jackets. Anywho if anyone has ideas or input on anything from costume pieces to colors, I'd love some help!

I like the concept here!  

I just want to say that, since some of the Praetorians look very little like their Primal counterparts, it's okay to just say "yeah, these are the same person from different universes" and have that be that.
However, if you wanted a closer match to your Primal character, I came up with something: 

deathmutePraetorian.costume

(I'm having trouble posting pictures; it won't let me post anything larger than about 150kB. Does anyone know what's going on?)
I ended up using a jacket anyway and trying to make the top look Praetorian with the star and wreath chest symbol.  IIRC, there's a Praetorian Police-associated super in Praetoria who wears the Alpha top, so I went with that.  I used the Chaos Leather on the pants to help parallel the Primal version, but colored it a bit more "respectably" for the PPD.

• Like 1

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

6 hours ago, Shocktacular said:

I like the concept here!  

I just want to say that, since some of the Praetorians look very little like their Primal counterparts, it's okay to just say "yeah, these are the same person from different universes" and have that be that.
However, if you wanted a closer match to your Primal character, I came up with something: 

deathmutePraetorian.costume 7.14 kB · 0 downloads

(I'm having trouble posting pictures; it won't let me post anything larger than about 150kB. Does anyone know what's going on?)
I ended up using a jacket anyway and trying to make the top look Praetorian with the star and wreath chest symbol.  IIRC, there's a Praetorian Police-associated super in Praetoria who wears the Alpha top, so I went with that.  I used the Chaos Leather on the pants to help parallel the Primal version, but colored it a bit more "respectably" for the PPD.

Oh hell yeah I love the colors and costume choices here. The star on the chest is great too. This is certainly something I can work on/with/off of! Thanks! As always I love when people help me make my costumes better or offer up cool ideas!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later

Need a little help please.

I recently watched "What If..." on Disney+ and was hooked on the idea of Capt. Carter becoming Capt. America.  I collect WW2 Pinup art and thus the "Golden Age" of comics from WW2 has always held a special fascination for me.  Thus, I present an homage character "Tailgunner Tina."

Now here's my request.

I am going for a "Pinup turned Superhero" motif.  And she has to live up to her "exploited" nature of being a war bond main attraction...showing off waaaaay too much skin to bring in the big bucks and then they gave her experimental treatments to tune up her skills and it backfired (see bio).  But what I've ended up with is, at least to me, more cheesecake than pinpup.  

My only requirement is that she obviously looks great doing her Dual Pistols thing and she has to be showing a bit of "cheeky-ness" to live up to her stage name.  I obviously went for Red/White/Blue but I also played with army olive-drab a bit before going this route.  I'm less fussed about the colors.

Any suggestions on how to improve her costume or come up with something far more pinup and far less "Space Stripper?"

Tailgunner.jpg

Animation2.gif

TailgunnerTina.costume

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Crysis said:

I am going for a "Pinup turned Superhero" motif.  And she has to live up to her "exploited" nature of being a war bond main attraction...showing off waaaaay too much skin to bring in the big bucks and then they gave her experimental treatments to tune up her skills and it backfired (see bio).  But what I've ended up with is, at least to me, more cheesecake than pinpup.  

My only requirement is that she obviously looks great doing her Dual Pistols thing and she has to be showing a bit of "cheeky-ness" to live up to her stage name.  I obviously went for Red/White/Blue but I also played with army olive-drab a bit before going this route.  I'm less fussed about the colors.

Any suggestions on how to improve her costume or come up with something far more pinup and far less "Space Stripper?"

A quick attempt before bed.

I think you've got a lot of good stuff in there already, mostly I just tweaked things a bit. It's a pretty good look as it is, and it doesn't need much of an overhaul. I kept a lot of elements from the original design -- the thigh-high boots, the flared gloves, the guns on her hips. That all just works.

• My first thought was that she needed fishnets/nylons. That says "sexy," but in particular it says it in a 1940s kind of way. The seam up the back lines up well with the seam on the boots, so I used the stripe pattern to accent that line and, you know, make her legs go all the way up, so to speak.
  • I gave her a more dated hairstyle to hammer home the era she's representing.
  • Overall I went for a mix of eye candy, and tactical utility inspired by the first Captain America movie (and the WWII scenes from The Ultimates). I wanted to use an "up" set of goggles, either blast or resistance, but they clipped badly with the bangs on her hair and I wanted to keep that. They're easy enough to remove if you don't like them, I'm not a hundred percent sold on them myself but I thought she needed something. Adding a cigarette might be a nice touch too (instead?), now that I think about it.
  • For whatever reason, there's a tendency people have when creating "patriot" superheroes  to use a very specific shade of blue, and it's... it's wrong, is what it is. Folks go WAY too light. If you look at a US or UK flag, the shades of blue on them are actually quite dark. Besides that, I think the darker shade helps with the whole "utilitarian" look I already mentioned.
  • Something I think looks great with flamboyant animations like you find in the Dual Pistols set is to have something trail behind the character while they twist and spin, but capes clip weirdly with long hair and, again, I wanted to keep that, so I tried something else: I added a combat-only Fairy Dust aura on her fists. I think it creates a neat effect, with the "sparks" flying off her weapons and enhancing the motion of some of the more extreme movements. I haven't quite figured out the whole screen-record-to-.gif thing yet, but if you load up the costume file, it's in there.

I'd like to try my hand at a less-showy olive drab variation too, but it's late and I'm tired, so I'll revisit this later and see what I can come up with.

Hope you like!

pinup.png

pinup1.png

PistolPinup.costume

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

On 6/16/2021 at 10:55 AM, Ukase said:

So, Ukase is far too embarrassed to ask this himself, so while he was on a call, I snuck on here and typed this out. He's at his wit's end coming up with a gorilla with a thong for reasons that escape any rationale I can think of. 

So..this is gonna sound super strange - but what he wants is the closest thing he can get to a gorilla. And, heaven help those whom he teams with, a thong. 
He claims it's impossible to have monstrous fur and a thong. Nor any gorilla/ape/monkey type heads. But he wouldn't really know - he just hits the random button most of the time. 

But, I'm sure some of you know the costume creator better than he does. Maybe it's hidden in there somewhere. 

I will see to it that you're rewarded if you submit a file I can download for him when he's not looking, if yours is chosen. 

Thanks!

I know this is old

This is what I have.. If you want.. Just tell me how to get the costume file.

Face is Insectoid 

Helmet is cone

Detail 2 is mandible

478692175_gorillabody.thumb.PNG.742b76d53e7d58076f77c72b481af3fe.PNG615669213_gorillahead.PNG.25f2f2bfdb2d284efa0bc91d133080c6.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Mjolnerd said:

A quick attempt before bed.

I think you've got a lot of good stuff in there already, mostly I just tweaked things a bit. It's a pretty good look as it is, and it doesn't need much of an overhaul. I kept a lot of elements from the original design -- the thigh-high boots, the flared gloves, the guns on her hips. That all just works.

• My first thought was that she needed fishnets/nylons. That says "sexy," but in particular it says it in a 1940s kind of way. The seam up the back lines up well with the seam on the boots, so I used the stripe pattern to accent that line and, you know, make her legs go all the way up, so to speak.
  • I gave her a more dated hairstyle to hammer home the era she's representing.
  • Overall I went for a mix of eye candy, and tactical utility inspired by the first Captain America movie (and the WWII scenes from The Ultimates). I wanted to use an "up" set of goggles, either blast or resistance, but they clipped badly with the bangs on her hair and I wanted to keep that. They're easy enough to remove if you don't like them, I'm not a hundred percent sold on them myself but I thought she needed something. Adding a cigarette might be a nice touch too (instead?), now that I think about it.
  • For whatever reason, there's a tendency people have when creating "patriot" superheroes  to use a very specific shade of blue, and it's... it's wrong, is what it is. Folks go WAY too light. If you look at a US or UK flag, the shades of blue on them are actually quite dark. Besides that, I think the darker shade helps with the whole "utilitarian" look I already mentioned.
  • Something I think looks great with flamboyant animations like you find in the Dual Pistols set is to have something trail behind the character while they twist and spin, but capes clip weirdly with long hair and, again, I wanted to keep that, so I tried something else: I added a combat-only Fairy Dust aura on her fists. I think it creates a neat effect, with the "sparks" flying off her weapons and enhancing the motion of some of the more extreme movements. I haven't quite figured out the whole screen-record-to-.gif thing yet, but if you load up the costume file, it's in there.

I'd like to try my hand at a less-showy olive drab variation too, but it's late and I'm tired, so I'll revisit this later and see what I can come up with.

Hope you like!

pinup.png

pinup1.png

PistolPinup.costume 7.53 kB · 0 downloads

Great stuff!  -MUCH- more pinup, love the hairstyle.

And yes, with Dual Blades, Dual Pistols or Staff, I often use butt capes or scarves for the extra animations they bring.  I tried a butt cape on this one but I lose the dual pistol belt and thought it looked better.

Love the colors here too, especially the red/white on boots.

Pinup2.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, plainguy said:

Just tell me how to get the costume file

In the folder where you installed CoH, there's a "Costumes" folder.  The files are in there.  As for guerilla/simian appearances, I've seen some people use the alien face to great effect.

Here is a pic of my own money character "The Westward Traveler":

westward traveler1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/16/2022 at 2:43 AM, plainguy said:

I know this is old

This is what I have.. If you want.. Just tell me how to get the costume file.

Face is Insectoid 

Helmet is cone

Detail 2 is mandible

478692175_gorillabody.thumb.PNG.742b76d53e7d58076f77c72b481af3fe.PNG615669213_gorillahead.PNG.25f2f2bfdb2d284efa0bc91d133080c6.PNG

Thanks, but @peacock gave me a huge assist months ago. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 7:23 PM, Crysis said:

"Tailgunner Tina."

Here's my "olive drab" take on your character, (she's a nature/pistols defender "Pistols 'n Petunias"):

pistols 'n petunias1.jpg

pistols 'n petunias2.jpg

pistols 'n petunias1.costume pistols 'n petunias2.costume

*Edit:  I decided against adding any makeup or facial pattern, as I thought you could customize that yourself.  I ended up using a small mask over her eyes on mine, though...

Edited by biostem
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, biostem said:

Here's my "olive drab" take on your character, (she's a nature/pistols defender "Pistols 'n Petunias"):

pistols 'n petunias1.jpg

pistols 'n petunias2.jpg

pistols 'n petunias1.costume 7.23 kB · 1 download pistols 'n petunias2.costume 7.24 kB · 1 download

*Edit:  I decided against adding any makeup or facial pattern, as I thought you could customize that yourself.  I ended up using a small mask over her eyes on mine, though...

The first one is very similar to what I was trying to accomplish with olive drab.  But on screen it just seemed too subtle to me for a flashy war bonds rally gal.

Love it thought, the bow really sets off the hairstyle well!

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I could use help with this one! I really wanted a psychic character, a classic-looking female tank, and an excuse to use the Tech Knight belt, so here is Diamondstorm, a WP/psi melee tanker. The inspiration was Emma Frost in a Captain Marvel outfit. I like the color scheme, and I feel like it's *almost* there, but something about it just isn't clicking for me. Maybe too much gold?

diamondstorm.png

Edited by Sovereigne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sovereigne said:

I could use help with this one! I really wanted a psychic character, a classic-looking female tank, and an excuse to use the Tech Knight belt, so here is Diamondstorm, a WP/psi melee tanker. The inspiration was Emma Frost in a Captain Marvel outfit. I like the color scheme, and I feel like it's *almost* there, but something about it just isn't clicking for me. Maybe too much gold?

diamondstorm.png

I like it!  I think you did well with blending the looks of your inspiration and I can totally see this as a Psi Tank.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never really came back to show you how I ended up with Tailgunner Tina.

I liked both of your costumes, so one became my "Show" costume for Bond Rally's and the other became my modernized crime fighting costume.

For both, I changed hairstyle and face as I was really liking the Sci Fi face with the beauty mark.  And because I fiddled with hairstyles (went with Beverly Thrills) I could incorporate the short Fortune cape which gave her that much needed 'flourish' that all dual pistoleers should have.  The hairbow really help to set things off for both as well.

So two different costumes, both thanks to you two, but something to tie them both together as uniquely Tailgunner TIna.

Thanks to both of you @Mjolnerd and @biostem

Here's her "classic" Bond Rally costume.....

Tina_Classic.gif

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/24/2022 at 10:15 PM, Sovereigne said:

Oh the joys of wrestling with Tech Sleek. My character Mind Blaze (male) worked with that costume and color theme (less the gold). 

I am guessing you are leaning more heavily into the Emma Frost side of things for color while leaning more Carol Danvers in costume feel (warrior versus pyschic). At a first go, I thought I would try dropping gold from the costume and not wandering too far from the base you've provided. Then I added the gold back in, included a chest symbol to match the name and the one on Captain Marvel's costume. Shame the Alpha chest aura sits away from the body on women otherwise I would have gone for the effect you see in my avatar image to the left:

EmmaDanvers.thumb.jpg.3815311db99f515c922864b335677a67.jpg  EmmaDanvers2.thumb.jpg.70366208024754c02442c15580a27cc3.jpg

EmmaDanvers.costume  EmmaDanvers2.costume

Work permitting, I will try to update this post with another costume later today.

Edited by Erratic1
  • Thanks 1

I posted this in General Discussion to make sure I was not missing something obvious. I was looking for a half-mask option (a la Iron Fist from Marvel). The opinion was this did not exist organically within the character creator and you have to kludge something together. As others said in that thread, a full set of tights and using the bald face option with a head pattern to replicate a mask always looks wonky - the texture never seems to match the costume. Has anyone successfully replicated a decent half-mask look? I'd really love the loose cloth strips hanging from the back, but I do not see how that would be possible.

Yeah, no great options for decent half masks.  There are none that are textured.  Only the "tight-look" from the Face option seems to be anything that gives a half-mask.   The  best I could come up with is below: 

• Full Masks
  • Face option = Half
  • Detail 2 = Tied Headband

1987440029_Screenshot2022-03-30131046.png.da5d865f86c63967254bbf2ba9472156.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1