Costume Request Thread!

QueenBethari

1 hour ago, TheOtherTed said:

Dear God, people, what have you DONE?!

The head on that design looks amazing! (The rest is great too, I'm just particularly impressed with the head.)

I don't know why, but I always write off the Organic Armor headpiece as "too specialized" for whatever I'm working on and skip right past it. I should stop doing that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

14 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

I've been struggling with this character's costume for too long.  The character is basically an insane genie from outer space, and the nominal leader of a trio of insane space genies.  I'm also struggling with powersets, but that's for another thread in the Archetypes forum.

I want her to look sinister (hence the oh-so-edgy black trim), with a main color that's vaguely reminiscent of fire (hence the wan yellow color).  Plus, she needs a mask that covers her lower face.  The character will be a Fire tank of some description - just not sure whether I'll go for Fiere Aura or Fiery Melee.  Definitely won't be both.

Specific points of frustration - I'm not fond of the cow-catcher mask or the color scheme.  I'm not typically a fan of bright colors, but maybe this character needs some Zazz and I just don't realize it.  You know, Zing, Zork, Kapowza.

Anyway, here's a current pic and the costume file, and my thanks in advance.

SpaceGenieBlech.png.3bf20aeee17a03317ff3299f16b63be8.png

SpaceGenieBlech.costume 6.99 kB · 0 downloads

I just threw this together, here is how I picture an insane space Genie.  Maybe not along the lines you were thinking, I tried to go outside the box from the typical genie look.

329653495_spacegenie1.thumb.png.b0ce93f6c67993c2c819bbe17f41d759.png723273379_spacegenie2.thumb.png.f2c474582f4dbfa721eaec1b4ddc6026.png

Edited by Mr. Apocalypse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mjolnerd said:

I always write off the Organic Armor headpiece as "too specialized" for whatever I'm working on and skip right past it. I should stop doing that.

That's what this thread is for, right?  Thanks to @Troo for the headpiece - I never would have thought of it (or the snakes) myself.  Not sure yet where this will actually go, but I'm now considering having 2 costumes - a vaguely human-ish being somewhere between my original design and yours, plus an "it's OVER 9000!!!" costume with the snakes and the headspikes and all the sticky-outy bits I usually ignore.  Will have to learn how to use them costume change macros that I've also been ignoring forever.

In any case, I may regress a bit and use a dark gray as the base color to match the ashen skin, and to give a singed look.  The trim will likely be orange or the gold-yellow just under orange, but brighter than I'm usually comfortable with.  Will have to play with it after work.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Apocalypse said:

I just threw this together, here is how I picture an insane space Genie.  Maybe not along the lines you were thinking, I tried to go outside the box from the typical genie look.

329653495_spacegenie1.thumb.png.b0ce93f6c67993c2c819bbe17f41d759.png723273379_spacegenie2.thumb.png.f2c474582f4dbfa721eaec1b4ddc6026.png

I'll be honest, I've been having a "should I?  could I?" dilemma about those boots.  Which tells me they need to go into the character's "final form" costume...

Also, is that spine a backpiece, or part of the torso piece?

Edited by TheOtherTed

3 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

That's what this thread is for, right?  Thanks to @Troo for the headpiece - I never would have thought of it (or the snakes) myself.  Not sure yet where this will actually go, but I'm now considering having 2 costumes - a vaguely human-ish being somewhere between my original design and yours, plus an "it's OVER 9000!!!" costume with the snakes and the headspikes and all the sticky-outy bits I usually ignore.  Will have to learn how to use them costume change macros that I've also been ignoring forever.

In any case, I may regress a bit and use a dark gray as the base color to match the ashen skin, and to give a singed look.  The trim will likely be orange or the gold-yellow just under orange, but brighter than I'm usually comfortable with.  Will have to play with it after work.

For the costume change, check this thread out: 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheOtherTed said:

I'll be honest, I've been having a "should I?  could I?" dilemma about those boots.  Which tells me they need to go into the character's "final form" costume...

Also, is that spine a backpiece, or part of the torso piece?

They are my favorite boots, I do however wish they has an alternative version with Skin tone for the base, and the two colors affect the organic armor portion only, similar to the how colors are applied on the organic armor shoulders.

the spine is a backpiece

Edited by Mr. Apocalypse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Apocalypse said:

They are my favorite boots, I do however wish they has an alternative version with Skin tone for the base, and the two colors affect the organic armor portion only, similar to the how colors are applied on the organic armor shoulders.

This!  A thousand times, this!  Same for the gloves.

• Thumbs Up 1

Want more from Praetoria? Check out my level 40+ Praetoria missions in AE! I've got 3 complete arcs, with a 4th in the works!
Praetorians can get to AE in Pocket D by going through Studio 55.

I semi-recently lucked into the name Metalhead(!!!) on Excelsior thanks to the server's Name release thread. Ever since then I've been trying to figure out what to do with it -- designing and redesigning, trying different powersets and ATs, then deleting and starting over. Currently he's a level 7 Sonic/Invuln sentinel, but that's at least the tenth iteration of the character so far. I've got a look that sort of works, but... eh. "Metallic guy in leather jacket," how clever. So I throw myself upon the mercy of the Costume Request Thread. I'm sure someone here (or a combination of someones) can help me come up with something better than this big ol' pile of generic.

At this point I'm not married to anything; gender, powers/AT, or any aspects of the design at all. I just want something, you know... \m/ METAL \m/. Go nuts, folks, I'll figure out the rest once I have a look that isn't more boring than a bass solo.

metalhead.png

Formerly of Virtue, now on Excelsior:

Ace of Spades Adamant Eve | Arch-Rival The BeBlackbelt Citizen Arcane Core | Ctrl Alt Defeat | Daddy Longlegs Diamant Freak Accident Galactrix Great White Shark

Heavy Machinery Highway Star The Howl Inter-GalacticaIon Maiden Knockout Artist Krakatoa Night's Templar The Pact Paroled McDonald Virtual Boy Volcaniac White Widow Yucatan

And my most recent 50, Cyber-Security (Shield Defense/Street Justice tanker, 16 March 2024)

1 hour ago, Mjolnerd said:

I semi-recently lucked into the name Metalhead(!!!) on Excelsior thanks to the server's Name release thread. Ever since then I've been trying to figure out what to do with it -- designing and redesigning, trying different powersets and ATs, then deleting and starting over. Currently he's a level 7 Sonic/Invuln sentinel, but that's at least the tenth iteration of the character so far. I've got a look that sort of works, but... eh. "Metallic guy in leather jacket," how clever. So I throw myself upon the mercy of the Costume Request Thread. I'm sure someone here (or a combination of someones) can help me come up with something better than this big ol' pile of generic.

At this point I'm not married to anything; gender, powers/AT, or any aspects of the design at all. I just want something, you know... \m/ METAL \m/. Go nuts, folks, I'll figure out the rest once I have a look that isn't more boring than a bass solo.

I would kind of expect a character named Metalhead to have a metal head...and just a metal head. 😛

Now not saying it is a good idea but then, War Mace/Ninjitsu has turned out to be a blast, so why not go all the absurd way to Titan Weapon/Ninjitsu on a scrapper?

image.thumb.jpeg.dfe2dfa8d5db108415101f5afade5e25.jpeg

Mother, tell your children not to walk my way!

I basically just took a bunch of stuff you'd see on metal album art (skulls, chains, fire, demons, etc.) and combined them into one guy. The corpse paint makes it kind of hard to see the skull's metallic shine - I probably should have gone a couple shades darker, but oh well. The power customization is from an old, shelved attempt to make a metal manipulator (couldn't come up with a proper character concept) - this variant was a Seismic/Bio Sentinel. Not sure it fits your concept, but tossed it in anyway.

Metalhead1.png.e4c7d074d4d2350d42d6a53fe33756fb.pngMetalhead2.png.2ea5035ba575883ceda182cfac1eaa27.pngMetalhead5.png.f0bcbe2588ed77ac85485ca770065c5f.pngMetalhead3.png.750260f3773aaaf3ad4a3f67c131d88e.png

Metalhead1.costumeMetal Sent.powerCust

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, VeiledOwl said:

I basically just took a bunch of stuff you'd see on metal album art (skulls, chains, fire, demons, etc.) and combined them into one guy. The corpse paint makes it kind of hard to see the skull's metallic shine - I probably should have gone a couple shades darker, but oh well. The power customization is from an old, shelved attempt to make a metal manipulator (couldn't come up with a proper character concept) - this variant was a Seismic/Bio Sentinel. Not sure it fits your concept, but tossed it in anyway.

Pure awesome!

I am dealing with a "clipping visor dilemma" and seek your expertise and advice!

This is a particular half-helmet/visor/mouthpiece combo I really like:

image.jpeg.686fbc78a87482bd1e02a9c2b1d32f37.jpeg

But on female characters, the visors clip horribly, and I just can't seem to capture the same look with other eye pieces:

image.jpeg.02983a2f6de2883bea0c15e1c70f53e4.jpeg

Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed!  Thanks!

Edited by biostem

10 minutes ago, biostem said:

Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed!  Thanks!

did you try shrinking the head width or depth?

• Thumbs Up 1

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I wonder if the issue is that the visors are kind of rotated/tilted up a bit too much, as evidenced by the larger gap under the visor and above the mouthpiece, (notice the larger amount of skin you can see vs the male model).  For a visor that is already tilted more downward, the head sliders help a lot more:

image.jpeg.3e2d244496f61700c958a525bb7c9b65.jpeg

Hey all, currently struggling with a costume for a Bane Spider. He's an inventor who creates his energy staff that allows him to fly, shoot bolts, bend light around him to turn invisible. I'm a big Jack Knight Starman fan, and wanted this character to be more the golden age style though, going for a Doctor Mid-Nite, and original Starman look but everything I've come up with so far hasn't made me happy. His name Lantern-Keeper based on the light of the staff he carries.screenshot_230222-17-35-57.thumb.jpg.b4b3e876fa224804d562285e82fb8b11.jpg

18 hours ago, MagicalAct said:

Hey all, currently struggling with a costume for a Bane Spider. He's an inventor who creates his energy staff that allows him to fly, shoot bolts, bend light around him to turn invisible. I'm a big Jack Knight Starman fan, and wanted this character to be more the golden age style though, going for a Doctor Mid-Nite, and original Starman look but everything I've come up with so far hasn't made me happy. His name Lantern-Keeper based on the light of the staff he carries.

Have you considered just going full homage?

image.jpeg.f0fd870316ba357da22582a45c60cd0d.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later

This is "The Lithe Spectre" - She gained superhuman agility & grace from "The Laurel of Athena" and is able to conjure dark and murky ichor thanks to a "Crown of Hades", (Dark/SR Sentinel).  While I like the current costumes she has, (heavier armored and more formal/dressier versions below), I am trying to come up with something more elegant.  The only requirements are the laurel and crown.  Thanks for your consideration!

lithe spectre2.jpg

lithe spectre1.jpg

17 hours ago, biostem said:

This is "The Lithe Spectre" - She gained superhuman agility & grace from "The Laurel of Athena" and is able to conjure dark and murky ichor thanks to a "Crown of Hades", (Dark/SR Sentinel).  While I like the current costumes she has, (heavier armored and more formal/dressier versions below), I am trying to come up with something more elegant.  The only requirements are the laurel and crown.  Thanks for your consideration!

I had a hard time balancing the colors to look good, so I just split them into two outfits.

Red:

1617161082_LitheSpectre5.png.1f5762eac3fa2208114059741b462cbc.png50436880_LitheSpectre6.png.d2b62f5ed678e6603cb34b37f2cb6f3f.png

LIthe Spectre4.costume

Blue:

91697886_LitheSpectre7.png.211a64cedb9645266b4370f6465b5096.png2005746723_LitheSpectre8.png.34c885cbf1fb3c0c0b88b67f2166fdb5.png

LIthe Spectre5.costume

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 2:13 PM, VeiledOwl said:

I had a hard time balancing the colors to look good, so I just split them into two outfits.

Thank you so much for the designs!  I decided to go in a different direction, and ended up with this, to further emphasize her connection to the Roman pantheon:

lithe spectre roman3.jpg

lithe spectre roman2.jpg

Dear gods, you people are crazy. I played all through live and a brief return in 2019, now I've been back a few weeks and thought I was pretty good at costumes, but you guys have dumpstered that belief! 

So I come to you with a challenge: Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares from the board game Spirit Island, except female, for my Dark/Dark tank.

I know it won't be possible to get too accurate so just carry that tall, thin nightmare spirit vibe if you can. Thanks in advance you mad costume warlocks! 

Bringer_of_Dreams_and_Nightmares.png

Call_on_Midnight's_Dream.png

Dreams_of_the_Dahan.png

Predatory_Nightmares.png

3 hours ago, LadyKalma said:

Dear gods, you people are crazy. I played all through live and a brief return in 2019, now I've been back a few weeks and thought I was pretty good at costumes, but you guys have dumpstered that belief! 

So I come to you with a challenge: Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares from the board game Spirit Island, except female, for my Dark/Dark tank.

I know it won't be possible to get too accurate so just carry that tall, thin nightmare spirit vibe if you can. Thanks in advance you mad costume warlocks!

I took a brief stab at it. It's a very unique looking character and, like you said, not possible to faithfully recreate in this game. I made some stylistic choices of color and design that might convey a sinister magic being. I used the Talons 02 head for the horrifying, gaping mouth, but sadly there's no way I'm aware of to have a colored aura emanate from a character's mouth, so the eyes might have to do. Let me know if you have any questions or notes about any of the pieces.

Bodan 1.jpg

Bodan 2.jpg

Bodan 3.jpg

Bodan 4.jpg

• Like 5

@dungeoness and @eloora on Excelsior

<Federation of United Cosmic Knights>

14 minutes ago, Dungeoness said:

I took a brief stab at it. It's a very unique looking character and, like you said, not possible to faithfully recreate in this game. I made some stylistic choices of color and design that might convey a sinister magic being. I used the Talons 02 head for the horrifying, gaping mouth, but sadly there's no way I'm aware of to have a colored aura emanate from a character's mouth, so the eyes might have to do. Let me know if you have any questions or notes about any of the pieces.

Bodan 1.jpg

Bodan 2.jpg

Bodan 3.jpg

Bodan 4.jpg

Thanks so much! This is an angle of approach I hadn't even considered, I was focused far too much on something more beastly. 🖤

Happy to help! Like you mentioned earlier, sometimes I feel like I can throw together some slick costumes, but then I'm humbled by the creativity on display in game, on the discord and on this forum. It's always fun to dip a little bit into crowdsourced inspiration!

I definitely intended to build her with the monstrous claws glove option, but you can only build that with smooth forearms, and I liked the idea of a spikey detail there more than just long fingernails. There's also not a lot of ways to create a very geometric yet tribal pattern, so I scrapped a more robotic initial design for something more organic.

• Like 1

@dungeoness and @eloora on Excelsior

<Federation of United Cosmic Knights>

Hi there first off I want to say this place has been a big source of inspo when trying to make characters, everyone here is so talented oh my gods. So I wanted to ask for some advice if that's okay ❤️ I made a character heavily inspired by The Matrix and wanted to mix the characters of Switch and Neo into something. Hence the white hair and red glasses but the iconic black leather outfit. Would anyone give me any tips in how to improve this outfit, please? I'd like them to still keep the androgynous look. I tried to use one of the gloves as a prosthetic hand but couldn't find one that stood enough to be noticeable. W0rmz is a Dual Pistols/Martial Arts Blaster for reference.

3033d7d3d03587ba30a7948033efc677.png

895cbdadd2052dfcc66387fdfc600153.png

3c6ff2953c9cc9fd805a33938d3236ea.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1