Patch Notes for September 10th, 2019

Leandro

I'm not sure if this is an issue related to the patch or if I'm just misremembering how things are supposed to work, but it seems like Superspeed combined with the Celerity +stealth IO no longer offer complete invisibility.  I tested it with several different types of enemies around the RWZ during a LGTF, and it seems like if I get close enough any enemy type can see me.

2 minutes ago, molten_dragon said:

I'm not sure if this is an issue related to the patch or if I'm just misremembering how things are supposed to work, but it seems like Superspeed combined with the Celerity +stealth IO no longer offer complete invisibility.  I tested it with several different types of enemies around the RWZ during a LGTF, and it seems like if I get close enough any enemy type can see me.

Rikti drones could always see through Stealth. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

So, legitimate question here, if HC sees all this feedback decides "okay, we need to open up the Hive/Abyss to let erryone in" but also, say, triples the HP on all the Mitos and Hammy increases their target caps, debuff/control resistance, etc.  Would you be cool with that?

I used to raid hamidon back when you had to clear mitos and the spawn was a mitos for every play in the goo. Honestly I would love it if Hamidon was a challenge again. I don't advocate for it, but I would not care. But I would imagine that this would make the leechers decide not to come and then you would have not the power you needed to kill him with the player population that did show up. So again kind of counter productive change at this point. 

Here is the thing people seem to be trying to find a way to prevent leechers from taking part while allowing "good players" to get in. It isn't gonna work. I played this game sincd like 3 days into original release. The orginal devs were always fighting this fight and never won. No matter what they decided was unintended they would change it and players adapted. Look at Ae farming, at some point if they nerfed that ot the point players found it to be a waste, it wont stop farming it will just move farming back out into the real missions like it was before the AE was around. And then you make changes there that punish everyone not just Farmers. Same thing here. The more changes they make because of random leeching complaints or whatever caused this change (I really don't know what it was, I thought I heard they purposely took the cap off the zones) is just going to punish eventually an unintended population of the game. 

Which is why I ask, why is it so damn important to keep the leechers from earning a reward? This is just like the people that hate power leveling so bad. How or what someone else is doing doesn't prevent you from doing or getting what you want, then why do you care? 

3 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Rikti drones could always see through Stealth. 

As I mentioned, I tested it out with several different types of enemies.  Various types of rikti (not just drones, and not just groups that include a drone), Nemesis, crey, and malta have all shown the ability to see through the superspeed + celerity combination if I get close enough.

Just now, QuiJon said:

But I would imagine that this would make the leechers decide not to come and then you would have not the power you needed to kill him with the player population that did show up. So again kind of counter productive change at this point. 

Well, see, here's my take, and why I asked: Hamidon raids right now are absurdly broken.  The "leechers" are clearly not impacting performance when a group in the Hive can ignore each and every Mitos and all the blooms and just war-crime the nucleus straight out.  If the problem was people who aren't contributing keeping those who are out of the zone, then all those non-contributers apparently haven't been a factor in that insane performance in the first place, it seems to me.  So it only makes sense to raise the bar anyway.

Just now, Lazarillo said:

Well, see, here's my take, and why I asked: Hamidon raids right now are absurdly broken.  The "leechers" are clearly not impacting performance when a group in the Hive can ignore each and every Mitos and all the blooms and just war-crime the nucleus straight out.  If the problem was people who aren't contributing keeping those who are out of the zone, then all those non-contributers apparently haven't been a factor in that insane performance in the first place, it seems to me.  So it only makes sense to raise the bar anyway.

There's a big difference between how much of an effect leechers have on a group as a whole when you talk about a group of 50 vs a group of 200.

Every leecher affects the group of 50 to a much higher degree than a group of 200.

5 minutes ago, molten_dragon said:

As I mentioned, I tested it out with several different types of enemies.  Various types of rikti (not just drones, and not just groups that include a drone), Nemesis, crey, and malta have all shown the ability to see through the superspeed + celerity combination if I get close enough.

I've been using my dude with SS + Celerity this morning, and it seems to be working as expected for me.  The numbers in the attributes window still match last night too.  Is it possible you've got some sort of aggro power on?

Just now, Foxfyre said:

Every leecher affects the group of 50 to a much higher degree than a group of 200.

Sure, but one would assume that if, say, there are 10 people leeching a group of 200, then there are only a couple leeching a group of 50.  The Hive doesn't magically just give the leechers priority.

I've taken to viewing MSR and Hami raids as a social experience.  They aren't hard.  You can clear Hami with about 35 people if you know the mechanics (and we did that on Everlasting once during the weekend).  What we're left with now is the loss of that social experience. 

RWZ being a zone with TFs in it means scheduling a MSR is going to be hard to coordinate and not in a fun way.   If we had a way to spawn "private" zones for leagues, this wouldn't be a big deal.  If the cap on RWZ, at least, were - say - 75 to account for all of the non-MSR traffic, this wouldn't feel so bad.  Having a league of 48 trying to fit into a cap of 50 just seems like it's going to generate much more annoyance than anything else.

• Like 4

Maybe a small dumb thing, but as soon as I logged in after the patch, I immediately sensed a headache and nausea coming on. Which is something I get from some games though never from CoH before. My FPS is at a steady 60+ so that wasn't it but it definitely belt like something is off.

I turned off the automatic windows scaling and the feeling went away. So maybe something is going on with that setting? Anyway, the UI scaling looks great now that it isn't trying to murder my brain! 😄

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

The caps not being 50 was an unintentional error on our part that happened when we moved to OVH. All we did was correct a mistake.

Yes, but after 4 months and after it became the standard on every server....was there any need to correct it? 

Edited by Foxfyre
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, swordchucks said:

I've taken to viewing MSR and Hami raids as a social experience.  They aren't hard.  You can clear Hami with about 35 people if you know the mechanics (and we did that on Everlasting once during the weekend).  What we're left with now is the loss of that social experience. 

RWZ being a zone with TFs in it means scheduling a MSR is going to be hard to coordinate and not in a fun way.   If we had a way to spawn "private" zones for leagues, this wouldn't be a big deal.  If the cap on RWZ, at least, were - say - 75 to account for all of the non-MSR traffic, this wouldn't feel so bad.  Having a league of 48 trying to fit into a cap of 50 just seems like it's going to generate much more annoyance than anything else.

Honestly instancing the raids, if possible, I think would be the ideal solution.  At that point we just need a staging zone that has greater than that cap (Since everyone needs to be in the same instance to use LFG tool) or a mission to start it and a door entrance for the raid.

Fixing the caps to how they should of been of course is the correct thing to do even if it has been months, just because something breaks and people enjoy abusing it doesn't mean it becomes the new standard. If you actually care about the longevity and health of the game you can't dispute this.  What fixing the zone caps does is now allows us look at both zones individually and find solutions for their individual problems.

100 seems too high for Rwz don't really need two raids worth of people in there, but allowing for TFs and quests maybe start with something like 75 and see how things go.

For Hami leave it at 50 but what would it take to make it so a league could queue into an instance of Hami, like an Itrial? This way it cuts the griefing  and leechers out , and if someone still wants to run a regular public one they can.

Edited by Snow0wl
Rephrasing
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Leandro said:

Yes, that fix was a dud. There is another fix on the queue but it's part of the "page 3" update branch with all the PVP and tanker changes which will hit the testing server later today, so it will be a while before it makes it to the live servers.

Were these tanker changes discussed anywhere already?  I'm quite curious.

30 minutes ago, Lazarillo said:

I've been using my dude with SS + Celerity this morning, and it seems to be working as expected for me.  The numbers in the attributes window still match last night too.  Is it possible you've got some sort of aggro power on?

Ah, you're right.  I forgot AAO from shield defense included a taunt.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Leandro said:

General

• The 32-bit client should now work properly on Windows XP and old versions of MacOS; please let us know if you still need the Safe Mode client.

32-bit client still doesn't launch in 10.10, only the Safe Mode/Legacy client works.

28 minutes ago, SchnauzerXL said:

Honestly instancing the raids, if possible, I think would be the ideal solution. 

I'd be perfectly happy with that solution.  I don't see how putting the caps back to 50 really makes things better.  You just end up trading out one set of issues for a different set of issues.  Having to fight the zone population cap isn't what I'd call a positive addition to gameplay.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Foxfyre said:

Yes, but after 4 months and after it became the standard on every server....was there any need to correct it? 

For the crowd already possessing tricked out, expensively-equipped enhancements, looking for a new challenge, you bet!   These are the Classic Wow purists who love their sandbox.

For those who are legitimately trying to earn merits via Hami each night, these heroes may now be potentially shut out of a raid because of a few vocal purists.

Who cares if the Zerg isn’t how Hami was intended to be taken out?   Apparently not the original devs - who clearly underestimated the power that IO sets and bonuses brought to this classic raid.

I’m not disputing the merit of learning how to take him down the original, Mito-clearing way.   I’m disputing the actual reasoning behind the timing of ‘fixing’ the population cap bug.

• Like 4