Patch Notes for September 10th, 2019

Leandro

• Retired Game Master
Just now, Foxfyre said:

What if a bunch of them get together to just prevent a league from being able to fully form?  Granted we could just move to Hive 2 if that happens, but I foresee this being a problem.

We'll cross that bridge when it comes to it.  So far, the worst griefing problems we've had have been solved by just forcibly removing the offenders from the zone.

• Retired Game Master
Just now, Snow0wl said:

250 wanting to raid , guess what they all can we just get 5 hive/abyss instances not one of them would be left out.

Yes those scary organized Grifers ,  guess what having zone cap actually helps with that. If they did get together and left the Hive and Abyss with multi bloom mess to grief, having zone caps solves that by letting a raid max out that instance then switching when another instance opens . So thank you@QuiJon for showing a potential issue and proving that fixing the zone caps was a good thing and not having a zone cap is bad.   I'm glad you come to see your self entitled exploiter greed was clouding your vision on what was right and better for the health and longevity of the game.

It's not half assing restoring things to how they were suppose to be. Then looking at it and what could be done if there is an issue. It a responsible way to handle it. 

Take it down like three notches.  You can disagree with QuiJon without insinuating that he's trying to exploit or be greedy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leandro said:

Fixed the zone cap in The Hive, The Abyss and the Rikti War Zone to be 50 (this was accidentally changed in May - it should have always been 50).

Sweats profusely from the amount of tells I'm going to have to deal with and how much earlier than the schedule I'll have to form up the raid every day.

But on the plus side, we will actually raid Hami correctly now instead of just nuking the poor jello 100 to 0.  More fun to do it properly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Veracor - Veracor, Bio/TW Tanker on Everlasting.

Everlasting raid leader, Hamidon main tank, iTrial main tank -- hit me up if you have questions!

1 hour ago, QuiJon said:

If that was the cap at times we have had 1500 players on the server we would have had to have had at least 300 instances of maps to keep them all in zones at 50 per zone. 

I mean....https://forums.homecomingservers.com/status/

Whenever I look seems like on average there's about 2 people map instance...(currently 2329 online players spread across 1080 maps)

I get your point and your agrument as a whole, generally agreeing, but those hard numbers aren't doing you any favors when the numbers are easy to look up, and are actually worse than your actual 'bad-scenario' example.

Edited by Eclipse.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:35 AM, Leandro said:

Not putting a raid in a zone where players are running missions and doing other stuff, but that ship sailed with i10.

Yes, that would be a solution.  But since that ship has sailed, could we try for another one, something actually viable?  I gotta say, boosting the RWZ cap to 75 to compensate for the spare people running around the zone for other content would be a great one and seems quite workable.

The MSR has been a great social gathering, at least on Indom.  My SG runs the nightly MSRs there, and we've got a real community around them, people I look forward to seeing of an evening.  We routinely kick AFKers and leechers, and everyone who comes regularly is aware of and alright with this.  We run two raids nightly.  The first routinely gets an attendance of about 60, the second, an attendance of around 40 since folks start doing Hamikaze runs an hour after we start the MSRs.  It's quite possible to do an MSR very successfully with 40 people (five full teams).  We've done it with less, on occasion, and the rewards aren't substantially different - maybe 100 V-merits less than running with 60.

But it's not possible to do a raid with 20, imo.  If we had 80 coming, we could just split between two instances of the zone and have two separate raids.  But that's not what's happening.  The impact of capping the zone at 50 will be to lock about a third of those who participate in MSR on Indom out of raiding at all.  With the new caps on Hive/Abyss, Hamikaze is effectively dead, and I expect to see 60 or so people at both raids going forward.  Upping the zone cap to 75 seems reasonable under the circumstances and would let them all participate.

Edited by Torcel
Fixing typos
  • Like 5

34 minutes ago, Veracor said:

But on the plus side, we will actually raid Hami correctly now instead of just nuking the poor jello 100 to 0.  More fun to do it properly!

>implying there is a "right" way to do anything in this game

• Like 2

"If you can read this, I've failed as a developer." -- Caretaker

Proc information and chance calculator spreadsheet (last updated 15APR24)

Player numbers graph (updated every 15 minutes) Graph readme

@macskull/@Not Mac | Twitch | Youtube

The 50 person cap on The Hive/The Abyss is disappointing, but I suppose understandable.  The 50 cap on RWZ seems absurd.  1 raid + 2 people in a zone?  That's gonna require a whole lot of moving around and cause confusion starting raids.  I would be much more supportive of RWZ cap at 100 or so.

Caddoch of Helios, Caddon the Lifegiver, Caddryo

The Cosmic Council
https://discord.gg/DVksJ4N

15 hours ago, Leandro said:

General

• Native High DPI Scaling mode. The game will now use the Windows UI Scaling setting for the monitor it is currently played on. You can disable Automatic UI Scaling from the Options (under the Windows tab) and change it manually. This slider can scale a lot more things than the old Window Scaling setting, which is still available via slash commands for individual windows.
  • Added option under Windows tab to independently change the size of the names above players' / NPCs' heads.
  • Added the ability to select Borderless Fullscreen mode in any monitor connected to the system.

One!  Two!  Three!  Three amazing QoL improvements, ahh, ha, ha! 🧛‍♂️

I personally hate them. It's almost like the Wachowski Bros wanted to make a live action anime, it follows all the main tropes. Hero get's more and more powerful until Hero dies in fight with equally power villain. Which is sad, the first Matrix was a master class in sci-fi. The rest could have simply been an akira add on.

• Like 1

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

My FPS has crashed since the patch.  The character select screen is at a crawl, as well.  Once I finally zone, it's a power point presentation and then the game crashes.  No messages pop up, either.  The window just closes out.

I have tried this on both 32 and 64 bit and have re-validated.  Any suggestions?

Just now, GM Widower said:

Oi, this is a thread for patch notes, not discussing The Matrix! 😛

*hold mah beer*

Technically the matrix is a great subject for patch notes because people are 'logged' into the 'matrix' where they have 'superpowers' much like we are 'logged' into 'paragon city' where we have 'superpowers'.

The only difference is the interface they use is plugged into their wetware, whereas we have to go through hardware that we aren't plugged into.

*chugs beer*

• Like 1

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

6 hours ago, Apparition said:

Excelsior had 150+ people a night, and believe me, there was tons of lag.  It was so bad that I stopped going over a month ago.  Besides that, it was pretty danged clear that Hamidon raids were completely and utterly broken.  Now Hamidon raids will be slightly challenging again and people get to relearn the raid mechanics.

Any lag I experienced on Excelsior Hamidon raids was always resolved by turning graphics settings down to minimum before the shift to the 64-bit client.   

After the shift to 64-bit, graphic setting adjustments during the Hami-farm seemed unnecessary.

• Like 1

Looks like the DPI Scaling settings have messed up some of the text scaling, or perhaps reset it, but either way it looks funky.

Before, I ran with 120% Window Scale at 1920x1080 resolution and 12 point chat font, and everything looked hunky dory. When I logged in today, text in the Nav window, the game menu and the transportation menu (trams, Ouro, TUNNEL, etc.) is bigger than it was yesterday. I think before it was smaller than the text, but with the UI changes, it's now scaled up like everything else.

Any way to change it back without reducing my entire UI scale?

7 hours ago, Profit said:

The point is that entitled hipster leechers who don't do anything at the raid shouldn't be there. Will they still show up? Probably. Will the people who actually bother to lead the raids learn their names quickly, not invite them to league, move the raid to the abyss and not tell the leechers? You bet all these things will happen.

For what it's worth, Leandro showed up on the Discord COH General channel this morning and discussed matters with the folks hanging out there. He brought up the possibility of looking into creating instanced 1-league LFG teleporter versions of the Hamidon Raid and Mothership Raid (with the MSR being in an instanced portion of the zone with just the northwest area containing the saucer in it, with a field hospital added, chopping off the bit with the Vanguard base in it), while leaving the non-instanced versions alone.

He also took note when folks pointed out that a multi-league raid was a desirable social event not currently available in any other form in the game. While being careful to make clear he wasn't promising anything, Leandro suggested it might even be possible to look into making a version of the zone Hami raids that would scale up to present an appropriate level of challenge for 2 to 4 leagues rather than simply being a jello curbstomp. Hopefully something can come of that.

• Like 7

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

6 hours ago, Foxfyre said:

You could do this sure....but don't be surprised when it becomes hard to find a team because people remember who you are.

.... and the community is small enough that it doesn't take pissing a whole lot of people off, before you find yourself on /global_ignore by all the active raid leaders.

It is, literally, a self-correcting problem.  Social Darwinism, at work.  🙂

• Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

First griefing will always be a problem. On live a second hive did not spawn offen. If the servers are red (high amount of people) the server can only spawn new zones as resources are available. Loading 150+ in one raid zone is not good but it's better on the servers than a new zone spawning. Holding/spawning an additional zone plus the same amount of people.

2 minutes ago, PaxArcana said:

.... and the community is small enough that it doesn't take pissing a whole lot of people off, before you find yourself on /global_ignore by all the active raid leaders.

It is, literally, a self-correcting problem.  Social Darwinism, at work.  🙂

You can rename your toon at anytime.