That got dark really fast

Gravitus

It's interesting to me that this post was originally made the same year that Brightburn came out and The Boys began.

In many ways, Westin Phipps/Haven House is classic COINTELPRO - you can read how <insert spy agency here> used front organizations and fake 'philanthropy' to infiltrate and interfere with populist movements all over the world. Arachnos setting Westin Phipps in place to play to part of the 'knight in shining armor and defender of the poor' of Grandeville so that an actual hero couldn't is, IMO, a rare example of a calculated evil - not just the mustache-twirling, over the top 'Mwah-ha-haa!' Evil (TM) stories we've come to expect. That Phipps actually enjoys crushing the hopes and dreams of the downtrodden in the most sadistic manner is just icing on the cake, as far as Arachnos is concerned.  

I mean, in addition to the dialog above, if you've successfully completed your mission to abduct Miss Francine and stop her rehab of the Freakshow, Mr. Phipps will say to you, 'Oh, poor little Francine Primm. I've got channels in Arachnos, I'm going to get every minute of her destruction recorded. Hmmm... I think I might even leak it out around the isles. Seeing the horrors visited on that girl should crush people's spirits all the more, and keep the next one like her away for some time.'  That's DEFINITELY dark and Phipps DEFINITELY has no chill.

And the other thing is - Phipps is saying that line to you. That means that you are complicit in crushing the hopes and dreams of the people of Grandeville, who are already living in horrible conditions (if they're not part of the Arachnos elite). You are sliding into Big Time Villany and by the time you've made it to Grandeville, you are now doing the Horrible and Terrible Things.  Some people don't feel comfortable with that.  

Anyway, a rather cool (and disturbing) series of missions. I was impressed when I first played through it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Fools!  We Will Destroy You All!

Would You Like To Know More? [YES] [NO]

- Aeon University Online

Markus Magnum - Praetorian DP/MA Blaster

48 minutes ago, Oz The Elderly Gaymer said:

It's interesting to me that this post was originally made the same year that Brightburn came out and The Boys began.

In many ways, Westin Phipps/Haven House is classic COINTELPRO - you can read how <insert spy agency here> used front organizations and fake 'philanthropy' to infiltrate and interfere with populist movements all over the world. Arachnos setting Westin Phipps in place to play to part of the 'knight in shining armor and defender of the poor' of Grandeville so that an actual hero couldn't is, IMO, a rare example of a calculated evil - not just the mustache-twirling, over the top 'Mwah-ha-haa!' Evil (TM) stories we've come to expect. That Phipps actually enjoys crushing the hopes and dreams of the downtrodden in the most sadistic manner is just icing on the cake, as far as Arachnos is concerned.  

I mean, in addition to the dialog above, if you've successfully completed your mission to abduct Miss Francine and stop her rehab of the Freakshow, Mr. Phipps will say to you, 'Oh, poor little Francine Primm. I've got channels in Arachnos, I'm going to get every minute of her destruction recorded. Hmmm... I think I might even leak it out around the isles. Seeing the horrors visited on that girl should crush people's spirits all the more, and keep the next one like her away for some time.'  That's DEFINITELY dark and Phipps DEFINITELY has no chill.

And the other thing is - Phipps is saying that line to you. That means that you are complicit in crushing the hopes and dreams of the people of Grandeville, who are already living in horrible conditions (if they're not part of the Arachnos elite). You are sliding into Big Time Villany and by the time you've made it to Grandeville, you are now doing the Horrible and Terrible Things.  Some people don't feel comfortable with that.  

Anyway, a rather cool (and disturbing) series of missions. I was impressed when I first played through it.

Couldn't agree more. 

• Like 1