Dark/Storm build notes

Thraxen

Hello again.  Made a dark/storm.  Love it.  Lots of fun.  Dark Mastery is for thematic reasons.  I might wanna try out new T5 power but don't really need another ranged power anyway.  Any notes appreciated.  End looks horrible but I'm hoping that the two procs in health and the plus end in the heal help it some.  

Goth Thrax - Defender (Dark Miasma - Storm Blast) 2.mbd

Lemme break it down. I'll try to reign in my bullet points 😅. You've got a strong base going with very clear design choices, it's a very well put together build.

You're falling for something I've seen people doing lately which is toggling on situational powers you don't use all the time in mids. Don't toggle on Darkest Night. It is very useful but can be somewhat cumbersome. Groups are moving too quickly, your toggle target dies, you find yourself using too much end. I usually just 1 slot end red and use Fearsome Stare as my quicker application of -tohit.

Oppressive Gloom is only strong enough to disorient like minions? unless you can stack it with something else. Here you only have Howling Twilight, which is strong enough by itself and not up often enough to synergize. You could lose it for Dark Consumption for more end.

You're missing Chain Lightning which is the only truly reliable source of aoe in Storm outside of Jet. The dpa on it is also strong enough to outshine Hailstones as a single target attack. Definitely take it.

Tough can seem like a viable strat to get the last bit you need to softcap s/l res. However, the difference between 50 and 75 s/l res isn't so great that you're missing out on much. Especially with layered defenses and heals. Tough also requires a bit more slotting to be viable. I typically 1 slot set mule it and look away.

You can make some changes to still achieve 45 ranged def and get perma Hasten on top. The second 3 set ATO. Cat5 and Storm Cell need some recharge reduction, Posi's Blast isn't the best for this.

Given all of the above, I took your existing build and made the changes I recommended. Oppressive for Dark Consumption, Assault for Chain Lightning. Perma Hasten, 45 ranged def, dropped your s/l res. Take a note of the toggles I have on, you should have more than enough end for what you need. I would probably reorganize the level at which some powers are selected.

Goth Thrax - Defender (Dark Miasma - Storm Blast) 2.mbd

Edited by Wimbochismo
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven't tried out the chain yet.  I'm gonna give dark/dark a try before I settle on dark/storm.  The dark/storm is at 45 now.  I find the dark/ part fun.  I'm getting kinda tired of the /storm part.  I really want to like it.  Maybe it is better suited for a blaster or a sentinel with a passive secondary.  

Took Oppressive Gloom more for theme than anything.  I'd definitely slot up more -to hit into darkest night though.  I'd never take tough and not toggle it on unless it's over cap.  The difference between 50% resist and 75% is taking twice as much damage from the most common type.  I do a lot of ITFs too so its mostly that and coincidently enough  dark which just happen to fit.  

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Thraxen said:

I haven't tried out the chain yet.  I'm gonna give dark/dark a try before I settle on dark/storm.  The dark/storm is at 45 now.  I find the dark/ part fun.  I'm getting kinda tired of the /storm part.  I really want to like it.  Maybe it is better suited for a blaster or a sentinel with a passive secondary.  

Took Oppressive Gloom more for theme than anything.  I'd definitely slot up more -to hit into darkest night though.  I'd never take tough and not toggle it on unless it's over cap.  The difference between 50% resist and 75% is taking twice as much damage from the most common type.  I do a lot of ITFs too so its mostly that and coincidently enough  dark which just happen to fit.  

All good - I do enjoy a tanky Defender.

Storm does feel smoother on a Blaster/Sent. I've got one on Sent. Even with the incoming changes, the setup of Cat5 and/or SC and fishing for procs takes extra time. If you wanted to do something like debuff first, by the time you're landing attacks and ramping aoe dmg, everything is dead. Although for ITF's there are plenty of predictable and almost never-ending enemies where you can do some pre-setup, or new enemies flow in.

Well few things after playing a bit more on it.  Direct Strike stuns at mag 4 when in Storm Cell.  So that stacks with OG.  Mids lets you slot accurate tohit debuff sets, but in game it doesn't.  I do like chain lightning after trying it.  I think I'll end up taking but not even using the T2 attack.  Might mess with build not chasing perma hasten.  

After your notes, may go with something like this.  Still not final.  It looks like I won't really need hailstones at all.  I currently have it on bar but don't use it.  There are attack gaps but it is small and usually something else to do, heal, put back out stormy, cat5, retoggle darkest night, put tar patch out, etc.  

Goth Thrax - Defender (Dark Miasma - Storm Blast) 6.mbd