Installing the launcher on a Steam Deck

Surprisingly simple, and the game runs like a dream on Steam Deck.

I'll keep it short and direct assuming you're already familiar with the device.

First of all, you need to add "hcinstall.exe" into Steam in Desktop Mode, and run it from there as soon as you choose forced compatibility under Proton Experimental.

You could settle for regular WINE, but the one in Discovery has been outdated for a while now. Or you could do it with Bottles, but that's a whole other separate tutorial, and also surprisingly simple. But more of a user preference really.

Besides, this method will be very important for a later step.

It will open up, and you can install it as you would on Windows.

As soon as that's done, to put the launcher itself into Steam, and get it to run in Gaming Mode, you're going to need "protontricks" in order to fetch the Shortcut in the quickest way by opening the WINE profile for the shortcut you made in Steam through "protontricks", and browsing the files (not through the WINE Explorer, but the other option through Dolphin) until you get to the "launcher.exe" file in the Win64 folder.

Simply add it into Steam the same way you did the installer, rename it, set it to run with Proton Experimental, install the game, log in, exit the launcher, get back into gaming mode, launch it from there, and presto, it should work.

Don't worry about the launcher, it will close itself as soon as you open the game.

You can max it out completely, and you'll get anywhere from 40-90 FPS, depending on the intensity of the effects around you.

But heed my words, this game is a pain to play without a keyboard.

I think it needs a very specific controller template configured in the menu, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

You can set the "X360 Controller" option as you usually would, and the game's completely playable (the touchscreen is very handy), but it's still a bit of an annoyance to play it that way.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to provide them to you. This was meant to just be a quick summary to people who wonder if the game can even run on it. Which it completely can.

DSC_3193.JPG

Edited by SecularSteve
  • Like 1