Base Commands Outside Base Editor

Hey all,

I recently tried my hand at some base editing.  After I left the edit mode and went back to the outside world, the commands on my keys and mouse didn't stay behind.  For example, instead of turning my character to the right, the 'R' Key instead did nothing and in the global chat window it said "Unknown command: rotate" 

By resetting my key binds it appears to have fixed the keyboard binds, but I have been unable to unbind my mouse buttons.  I logged off and back on, and even onto other characters, but the problem persists.  

Any advice?  Thanks!

• Game Master
Posted (edited)

Are we talking about a standard issue keyboard and mouse?  Nothing like a Razer Naga, so mouse buttons are Left and Right?

If so, the Keybind Profile also affects the "Reset Keybinds" button.  (I use different fonts, your client may vary.)

Screenshot2024-03-17at1_47_09PM.png.7ecf51623d989fc0b28440f2247fd81f.png

The choices are:

Modern - New profile with Issue 27, Page 7 Release: left click drag moves camera without toon movement, right click drag moves camera with toon auto-facing.  Camera reset by scroll-wheel zoom in, or press PageDown.

Joystick - Suggested settings for an XBox or Bluetooth Controller with six buttons and 2+ shoulder buttons layout.  (YMMV, as each archetype/powerset combo will have different needs past movement controls.)

Classic - Former profile from COH: Freedom through Issue 27, Page 6: left click drag does nothing, middle mouse click (or scroll-wheel click and hold) moves camera without toon movement, right click drag moves camera with toon auto-facing.

Launch (Issue 0) - Profile of Keybinds from the start of the game's history.  Major difference from the above three, autorun doesn't occur with any mouse actions.

The server holds only ONE set of keybinds at a time per character, which is why when you log off and back on, the same binds persist.  I suspect you're using the "Launch" profile and expect Classic or Modern, I could be wrong.  But see if picking Classic and click "Reset Keybinds" clears it up for you.

Clicking Reset Keybinds with one of those four selected will reset binds according to the above list.  The other buttons not pictured saves keybinds to a default file on your client so you can customize the list apart from these four profiles and preserve it from character-to-character.  Keybinds you save using the default file are on your computer only.  (Using another computer to play means the server has the custom keybinds saved, but clicking "Load from Default File" will not restore them because they're on the prior machine.)

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest setting the following Movement controls with a mouse primary or secondary bind to get control back to normal:

(DO NOT CHANGE = whatever is present, leave it there.)

Keybind Primary Secondary
Forward with AutoRun Left and Right Button* Not Set (or DO NOT CHANGE)
On Demand Mouse Look Right Mouse Button Not Set (or DO NOT CHANGE)
Rotate Camera DO NOT CHANGE Middle Mouse Button

* = Click the setting once, the setting will grow in size, then depress both left and right mouse buttons once.  It'll shrink with the new setting confirming the choice.

The core function of mouse buttons, left click action, right click menu, does not change and cannot be reassigned.  They can be reversed (right click action, left click menu) in the Controls tab of settings using "Reverse Mouse Buttons". 

If mouse clicks in this manner aren't being registered, there could be a hardware issue with the mouse (or operating system-related issues with mouse clicks) that we can look at further if this is the case.

Edited by GM Tock

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.