Limited mouse usage after exiting CoH

I have a Radeon™ RX 560 video card with updated driver, running 2560 x 1600 display. Windows 10.

Ever since the last patch, 03/12, on exit from the game, my mouse will not move across the entire screen, like it's reduced to about 3/4 range from the top and left edges of the screen. Even more strange is the correlation is off so if I move the mouse all the way to the bottom right as far as it will go, the pointer is still far away from the corner but will click the Notifications icon to the right of the date/time.

This is the only game or program that does this and I have to use the keyboard to reboot to get it back to normal. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is the current conversation on the MIDS Discord. If you can think of anything, I'm happy to try. Thanks for your time.

— Yesterday at 5:08 PM
Yes, indeed.
It has to be something with CoH since it only started after the recent patch. I've been running MIDS and CoH simultaneously for a long time.

Zed — Today at 2:15 AM
This is most puzzling. You probably should call hc support as well.
Completely random things to try:
After mids is started, kill edge webview subprocesses:
taskkill /f /im msedgewebview2.exe
Try running coh in windowed/borderless window modes.
Kinda running on empty with this case 🤷

Shield — Today at 11:51 AM
Doesnt the HC Launcher also use edge webview?
I have not seen this and Mids is always open when I am in CoX, but I run in borderless 95% of the time.

Shield — Today at 11:53 AM
Are you running CoX at a different resolution than your desktop’s native 2500x1600?

— Today at 2:06 PM
Running CoX at different resolution for sure but will need to check setting when I get home tonight.
Will try the taskkill then as well.
Also discovered that if I run then close MIDS then run CoX, exiting has the same problem.
Will also contact HC support tonight.

Shield — Today at 2:50 PM
Is the 3/4 range you mentioned with mouse proportional to the resolution difference between desktop and game?  I.e, are you running CoX at… 1920x1200?  That’s darn close to 3/4

— Today at 8:53 PM
Yes, 1920 x 1200 is the setting.

— Today at 9:04 PM
Tried the taskkill in the CMD window in both the MIDS folder and the C:\users... folder after the problem occurred and got this both times: ERROR: The process "msedgewebview2.exe" not found.

— Today at 9:11 PM
With CoX in windowed mode, ran MIDS, closed both, no problem.

Windowed mode seems to be the temporary fix. If I do that before exiting, no problem. I did discover that if I go Windowed then back to 1920x1200, the game looks fine but the cursor correlation is off in game in the reverse effect with the pointer acting as if it's 2560x1600.

• Game Master

I'm on QHD displays myself (2560x1440), Borderless is likely to work better.  Also to answer the above: HC Launcher displays news content on its own, no WebView elements are used (Edge or IE).

The disconnect is the game client isn't being reported accurately what the actual resolution is at.  This can happen for a number of reasons:

• Graphics Driver is using a resolution altering feature that is incompatible with CoH.  Try using default settings and see if it clears up.
  • You have a multiple graphics system (AMD along with Intel Graphics from the CPU) and COH is using Intel graphics and not the desired graphics card.  Check Settings app in Windows, open System, Displays, and make sure City of Heroes is running off of the Graphics Card, not Integrated.  (If only one graphic card is present, these options will not be present.)
  • A monitor driver has been updated, which affected the gaming mode in question.  A "Driver Rollback" may fix the issue (Open Device Manager, navigate to your display, Properties, Drivers, click "Rollback Driver" button), which will stop the problem temporarily until another driver update is prepared.  If the driver is stock (no updates occurred, the current driver came with Windows 10 on installation), this is safe to ignore.
  • Microsoft Windows Update replaced your AMD driver with a WDDM graphics driver (you mentioned Server Maintenance is when this occurred, which also coincides with Microsoft's "Update Tuesday").  In which case, reinstalling the AMD driver will restore performance.

As both MIDS and City of Heroes is being affected, my suspicion is hardware-related.  (Not so much your graphic card is messed up, but drivers/settings pertaining to it is suspect to the sudden change.)

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

• 2 weeks later

So it seems it was a Windows issue. I discovered that every game and video appeared very choppy. Tried everything, had an IT friend check it out to no avail. Broke down and bought a Radeon RX 6600, just installed it and ran both CoX and MDS with no issue. Thanks for all the assistance!

• Thumbs Up 1