Rad/Fire help

Humtake

Hello all!  I have a fire farmer Rad/Fire brute.  When I find mids builds, they all seem to have Electrifying Fences and Ball Lightning, but I don't get those options in the Epic pool sets.  I read something that I have to do Mender Ramiel's arc so I did but still do not have the options.  

Did something change (the mids builds I've found are a little old)?  Or, I did the Ramiel arc only after I hit 50 and chose all my powers...do I have to do the arc before that to get the option?

https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Patron_Power_Pools

You have to do Arbiter Rein's missions in Grandville as a villain, or run them with a friend who is a villain. Once you get to a certain point in those missions you will receive a message saying "Patron Pools Unlocked" or something like that. You get a badge for running the mission as you select a Patron to become your mentor(ish). 

Once you get the patron pools unlocked you can pick any of the patrons to choose from and select their powers. 

Posted (edited)

Thank you, didn't realize it was villain only.  I'm struggling to get my fire defense resist up to the 45 cap.  It stays at 33.18%.  I'm assuming part of the reason is because I don't have those powers or any like it that allow the sets that are typically used in the Electric patron pool.  I'm thinking I may just need to respec and add a couple throwaway powers that accept those sets.

Edited by Humtake

I think you might benefit from reading through the guides section and playing the game outside of the AE to increase your general information of the CoH environment.

Regarding Ancillary and Patron Pools, every alignment can access the Ancillary pools available to them at lvl 35. At the same time, Villains and Rogues can start a mission in Grandville, which the game directs you to if you're alignment matches, that allows you to select one of Lord Recluse 's Lieutenants as a Patron (Mentor so to speak). The choices are Ghost Widow, Black Scorpion, Scirocco, and Captain Mako. The one you select sends you on a series of story arcs. The completion of the first story arc for each awards a badge and a free Respec which allows you access to any of the patron power pools (way back in the day it only opened the patron that you chose).

When picking powers, when you choose a patron pool it is mutually exclusive with the others much like the Ancillary power pools.

As a Vigilante, Rogue, or Villain, you can join someone else's mission running a patron unlock to unlock the pools on a character without running the whole arc yourself.

But wait, you're a Hero? Then you can't. But you can either run alignment missions or speak to Null the Gull in Pocket D to change your alignment, and then you can. You can even unlock a patron power pool and then change back to hero. Pro tip, most players set their alignment to Vigilante or Rogue to get access to all the zones in the game.

But yes most people farming take Mu for electric fences to group and immobilize mobs close to you, and also ball lightning for an extra AoE attack. Especially if the character farming is running an AT that doesn't have access to taunt or a punchvoke.

• Like 1

Thank you for the in depth response, going to run this. I play an elec blaster and use ball lightning all the time so I really want it for farming, that slotted aoe is perfect for the job.