As requested, My needle books

Lynn Nexus

So as we were chatting before Ada was summoned today someone (who's toon name I have forgotten, please forgive me) Requested I post a picture of the needle book I'd just finished.  I figured I'd do one better and post the one I'd just finished and the one that I made for my purple kit.

needle book turtle1.webp

needle book turtle2.webp

needle book purple1.webp

needle book purple2.webp

I've never seen one of these before.  Didn't even know they were a thing, which is odd because Mom was a seamstress for 41 years.  Mom would use a cloth "tomato" for holding pins and needles.

Is this a tool specific to a craft?

• 2 weeks later
On 7/27/2024 at 4:46 AM, Techwright said:

I've never seen one of these before.  Didn't even know they were a thing, which is odd because Mom was a seamstress for 41 years.  Mom would use a cloth "tomato" for holding pins and needles.

Is this a tool specific to a craft?

It's an alternative for storing needles so you don't lose a needle in a tomato (Which I have totally not done and then been stabbed on the other side of the tomato... Nope nope nope!)

It's most often used in travel kits, No big need to store your needles when you're going to be sitting in one spot reaching to the same place you put your pins you know?  I do EPP (English paper piecing) and I like to carry it with me so that I can work on it in the car or while waiting in line or things like that.  It's all fiddly, teeny hand sewing, so it works out really well.  I can keep them still and even wrap tails around them like you see I've done with a couple.  But it's not as quickly accessible as a pincushion.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you for posting this 🙂 I will show it to my daughter who enjoys several types of sewing. She currently uses the tomato.

I was on Benediction when we chatted at Ada, thanks again for posting 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cryptorchid said:

Thank you for posting this 🙂 I will show it to my daughter who enjoys several types of sewing. She currently uses the tomato.

I was on Benediction when we chatted at Ada, thanks again for posting 🙂

Oh cool! Don't get me wrong, I still like the tomatos if for no other reason that the strawberry is a pin/needle sharpener... which... Sign me up! but with it going in the travel case... It's just so much safer for me XD