AOs and other IOs for pets

Donin

So this is for MM because of Command of the Mastermind, but im sur ei can get a general answer for other archs, even though i currently only play blaster, defender and MM.

So CotMM, i see a lot of builds that use sovereign right and expedient reinforcement over CotMM.  are those just considered better or is CotMM just terrible?  most still use Mark of Supremacy (or superior).  is there a better choice between them?

If it matters my 2 MMs are Bots/electric and merc /time.   and yes yes, i realize it may depend on the rest of my build, but lets say on a general basis.

on that note, are there other AOs that are just so bad they shouldnt be used?  the general builds i have for my blasters and defender both use both sets, but im a little curious overall if those and others are "bad".

CotM's aura buffs pet AOE defence, which is useful... but it's quite possible to hit the softcap to all positions (eg Melee, Ranged and AOE) without using it. Plus, since enhancement slots in pet powers are limited often it can come down to a choice between using it or a "better" option (damage procs etc). Personally, I dislike it but it still has a place in many people's builds.

The real aura IO to avoid like the plague is Commanding Presence: Taunt/Placate Resist.

Regarding other ATOs? Sentinel and Brute have a few real Stinkers; but the rest range from "worthwhile" (Controller) to "utterly game changing" (Stalker)

Edited by Maelwys
  • Like 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

18 hours ago, Donin said:

So CotMM, i see a lot of builds that use sovereign right and expedient reinforcement over CotMM.  are those just considered better or is CotMM just terrible?  most still use Mark of Supremacy (or superior).  is there a better choice between them?

[...]

on that note, are there other AOs that are just so bad they shouldnt be used?  the general builds i have for my blasters and defender both use both sets, but im a little curious overall if those and others are "bad".

Generally, for my MMs, I 4-slot Command of the Mastermind, and 2-slot (three times) Mark of Supremacy. This give 4 of 5 allowable 10% global Recharge bonuses for MMs (for the superior versions)... and they are decent buffs (equivalent to 50+5 IIRC) for the henchmen.

After this, as @Maelwys wrote: the "aura" uniques for boosting the nearby henchmen's defense (especially, but resistance can be good too) are important.

Expedient Reinforcement is a bit of an outlier for MMs IMO. The unique is a resist aura, which may or may not be useful for some henchmen. I write this only because for some MM primaries (and secondary choices) the henchmen may already be at resistance caps, and so exceeding the caps yields marginal improvements for almost all content. The 4-slot bonus for Expedient Reinforcement is another global recharge bonus, albiet only 6.25% for levels 25+, and there are two /Recharge pieces in the set... so a power like Gang War could take 4-pieces of this set I suppose.

As for other ATs besides MMs... I typically use some of the ATO in all classes (I don't play Brutes, but some of the Brute pieces are less than useful). I don't go out of my way on Controllers to use Overpowering Presence because (a) the set bonuses are mediocre, MMV and (b) usually I can find an alternative piece (like a Hami/DO or Purple) that enhances whatever power better... this really depends on what I am doing with a Controller build. Some ATs don't get as many powers that can accept ATOs as others. For example, Blasters can typically slot ATO in most of (both) their primary and secondary attacks. ATs that only get attacks in the primary or secondary have fewer options.

• Like 1