Need help with Windows 10 memory settings -- been BSOD'ing

Keen

I've got a memory-related Blue Screen of Death for the second time this week while running CoH, and was wondering if I could tune my memory settings to try to keep that from happening.

My current setup:

• Windows 10 Pro 64bit
  • 16 GB physical RAM
  • Windows installed on C drive, COH installed on D drive
  • Running the 64bit game client
  • No pagefile (I previously had a pagefile setting on the C drive but the crashes kept happening)

I'm not hardware-savvy and don't understand how I should tune my memory settings. Should I set a pagefile? (Do I need it?) If so, how big? Does it need to be set on the same drive the game is running?

Thanks.

Edited by Keen

@Keen Stronghold (Virtue, Everlasting)
Hamidon Raids - Role Guide

Hello,

So, two things you can do or have someone do for you is to have them run a diagnostic of your memory chips (RAM sticks) to see if you got faulty memory, but, with this being Windows 10 and full of update problems, I'm also under the impression that a windows update could have caused an issue. The pagefile should normally be set to about 1.5x the size of your RAM (24GB roughly), if it doesn't have a pagefile, I'd say you should set one just to be on the safe side.

Another thing you can also do, is submit a trouble ticket and provide as much information as you can (BSOD Error code), and another thing that could be causing a problem (it happened to me during the summer) could be a failing hard drive, either way, backup what you have right now. If you know someone who can perform a backup for you, have them do so, and without the BSOD it's a little hard to narrow down the issue.

Good luck

Especially Windows 8 & 10, the OS likes to use "Fast Boot" to page all the RAM contents into the hard drive before shutdown to speed up boot times.  Sometimes this means memory doesn't get cleared.

While this won't matter if it's bad RAM, you can try to disable Fast Boot to give the PC a blank slate.  Be advised, Microsoft resets this preference between major updates of Windows 10, forcing users to turn it back on, so you might need to bookmark these instructions to do it again.

Inactive account.

So I disabled Fast Boot (barely noticed a difference in boot times, probably because my C drive is SSD) and set pagefile to 24576 (16GB x 1.5). I set the pagefile on the C drive because I thought if I had it on the D drive (where the game is installed) it would affect the game performance negatively. If I get another BSOD I'll report the details here. Thanks for the tips!

Edited by Keen

@Keen Stronghold (Virtue, Everlasting)
Hamidon Raids - Role Guide