Lack of Mission Progress

srmalloy

I discovered yesterday that it's possible to be too good at your job. My AR/EM Blaster had talked to Levantera to start the 'welcome to Vanguard' series, and Borea sent me out to defeat 10 Rikti. She flew out, parked herself up N of the warehouse due S of the base exit, popped Boost Range, and started sniping the minions standing around on the roof. She'd dropped three before they noticed where the attacks were coming from, and two more while the Headman Gunmen inaccurately shot back. It was at this point I noticed that the mission goal still read 'defeat 10 Rikti' -- apparently, with Positron's Blast slotted in Snipe, and Boost Range to crank its max range out even further, I was too far away to get credit for taking down my targets. I find it amusing that the game lets me reach out and whack them (firing high-velocity, copper-jacketed, armor-piercing arrest warrants, of course), but won't give me credit for doing so. Unfortunately, at that point, the character was 39 (I'd neglected to run that series when she'd hit 35 during the MSR a couple days previously), so I'm going to have to go out and find higher-level targets to hit at extreme range to determine whether it's just defeat credit that I'm losing out on, or whether I don't get XP for them, either.

Just a random thought: while you're doing that, is there any possibility the issue was that you were personally too close to the base and it didn't count as being out in the warzone? The way you're describing it you were still within the perimeter of the camp and for some reason this post is jogging a hint of a vague recollection.

Edit: note: Vanguard base area is an extension to the original Rikti Crash Site, which is why I'm thinking it might not count as "being in the zone" for kills.

Edited by Erydanus

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

11 hours ago, Erydanus said:

Just a random thought: while you're doing that, is there any possibility the issue was that you were personally too close to the base and it didn't count as being out in the warzone? The way you're describing it you were still within the perimeter of the camp and for some reason this post is jogging a hint of a vague recollection.

Boost Range isn't that good; back on live, even with Boost Range and three Dmg/Rng HOs in LRM, II'm not sure whether I could have reached that roof from at or north of the Vanguard gun towers at the height I was. Remembering my position at the time, there's a Vanguard squad in the 'parking lot' across the street from the gun towers edging the Vanguard base, and I was south of the squad, shooting at the rooftop SE of me, with considerable altitude to put me out of range of everything but the Headman Gunmen shooting back at me. Grabbing part of the map and marking myself as green and my targets as red:

LRgStIN.png

Edited by srmalloy

Back on live, the version of the character I had then could stand on the landing near Imperious in Cimerora and hit the mobs in the courtyard over on the other side of the valley with LRM with Boost Range; I'd have to move a little closer for Snipe. LRM would aggro them right off; with Snipe, I could generally drop the first one without them figuring out that they were being shot at; I'd be able to drop a second before they'd aggro. But I wasn't doing it for defeat credit, so I don't know if the same 'problem' existed back then.

Edited by srmalloy