Some thoughts on mez and squishies

DrPippy

How, in a game where every player can achieve capped +Recharge, do you really make -Recharge powerful enough without also grossly penalizing those who don't take Hasten and/or build up significant +Recharge from IO set bonuses and Incarnate abilities?  How do you make existing status protection powers meaningful again, especially the ones which serve no other purpose, when they are less effective or broadly applicable than simply slotting enhancements, and avoid removing them entirely (which would necessitate multiple powers to be designed and implemented as replacements for the out-dated status protections)?

I think this is why I'd leave the magnitude system in place.  Essentially you'd have two separate debuff channels: the normal corruptor/defender debuffs, which would be resisted by Resistance, and the debuffs from partial status effects, which would be resisted by status protection.  (This is kind of analogous to Accuracy and ToHit, which are two different things that have the same effect of making you land hits more often.)  This is a bit of a kludge, and probably not how I'd design things if I were starting from scratch.  But it would probably be the most natural way (or at least a natural way) to add non-binary status effects on top of the current system.

It would be a very workable and flexible system, if we were creating the game from the ground up.  But as an adjustment of existing content, in the existing context of the game, it creates so many problems.  But, there's always hope.  System Shock 3 is in development, so a Co* 2 is always possible.

It definitely would be quite an undertaking to add to the current system, and would require lots of rebalancing under the most optimistic scenarios.  So fingers crossed for CoX 2.  Or who knows what they're thinking for all of the CoX spinoffs that are still in development...