City of Heroes 20th Anniversary: Time Capsule Event, Q&A With Original Team, Costume Contests

Arcanum

• City Council

:city_of_heroes_statesman_icon_sh: City of Heroes 20th Anniversary! :city_of_villains_arachnos_icon_s:

Today (April 24th, 2024) marks the 5 Year Anniversary Homecoming's first shard (Torchbearer) coming online. It's been an incredible year so far, not the least of which was Homecoming being granted an official license to host City of Heroes earlier this year. While that alone is cause for celebration, this year also marks the 20th Anniversary of City of Heroes (which is officially observed on April 28th).

As such, we have numerous festivities planned!

New Annual Event: Anniversary Time Capsules

May is the month in which we celebrate City of Heroes' Anniversary. This mainly involved a new annual anniversary badge, but we wanted to go the extra mile this year. We are introducing a brand new annual event: Anniversary Time Capsules.

image.thumb.png.270692888586cb7bd012c9fbe26c1eb8.png

Starting on Tuesday, April 30th, these time capsules will begin appearing all over Paragon City, The Rogue Isles and Praetoria. Within them you'll find a range of goodies including some brand new vanity pets, new temporary powers, new badges, new temporary costume powers, Anniversary Tokens (which can be used to acquire most of these rewards from Luna in Ouroboros and Echo Plaza), as well as some additional surprises from the past.

image.thumb.png.4a84479f363cf49423f86b245cd0d389.png

Of course, a new anniversary badge will also be available this year:

image.png

Reunited

Be sure to check out the patch notes on Tuesday, April 30th for full details!

City of Heroes 20th Anniversary Q&A

Next up, we've invited the original City of Heroes team back for a special Anniversary Q&A. These members of the original team will be participating:

• Melissa "War Witch" Bianco - Lead Development Producer
  • Christopher "Back Alley Brawler" Bruce - Senior Animator/VFX Artist
  • Floyd "Castle" Grubb - Powers Team
  • Tim "Black Scorpion" Sweeney - Powers Team
  • Hosun "Black Pebble" Lee - Brand Manager
  • Keetsie "Tunnel Rat" Braz da Cunha - VFX Artist
  • Kevin "FreitagCallanan - Community Team
  • John "Protean" Hegner Designer / Writer
  • Phil "Synapse" Zeleski - Powers Team
  • Stephen "Rockjaw" Reid- EU Community Team
  • Sean "Dr. Aeon" McCann  Designer / Writer
  • "GhostRaptor" - EU Community Team
  • C.W. "Pohsyb" Bennett - Programmer
  • "TheOcho" - Community Team
  • "JLove" - Senior Artist
  • "Fireman" (aka Bass_Ackwards) - QA
  • "Hero 1" - Designer / Writer
  • "Manticore" Designer / Writer
  • "Dark Watcher" - Senior Programmer

Head on over to this thread to submit your questions before 11:59PM EDT on Wednesday, May 1st. After that we'll begin gathering the answers to post up later in May.

City of Heroes 20th Anniversary Costume Contest!

Finally - what would an official Homecoming Event be without a costume contest? Well, we'll be hosting two contests (one on Torchbearer, one on Reunion) towards the end of May, with several members of the original City of Heroes team joining us as guest judges!

This will be an anything-goes (within the confines of our Code of Conduct) costume contest with no specific theme. Bring your best costumes!

When?

Torchbearer: Sunday, May 19th @ 10:00PM UTC (click to see 10pm UTC in your timezone - the contest will take approx. 1 hour)

• 3:00PM Pacific time
  • 6:00PM Eastern time
  • 11:00PM UK time
  • 12:00AM Central European time

Reunion: Sunday, May 26th @ 10:00PM UTC (click to see 10pm UTC in your timezone - the contest will take approx. 1 hour)

• 3:00PM Pacific time
  • 6:00PM Eastern time
  • 11:00PM UK time
  • 12:00AM Central European time

Where?

Echo Plaza. Heroes and Villains can reach Echo Plaza via TUNNEL Teleporter, Long Range Teleporter, or Pocket D (Truck near AE section).

Prizes!

Due to event taking place on a limited number of shards, the permanent golden title will be applied to a character of player's choosing on any shard.

The overall best costume will win: 

The  runner-up best costume will win:

The 4 runner-up costumes on each shard will win:

Please note that multiboxing during these costume contests is strictly prohibited and will result in disqualification and prizes being revoked.

Finally, we'd like to extend a special thank you to the community - celebrating 20 years wouldn't be possible if it weren't for each and every one of you!

See you in the city!

• Like 60
  • Thanks 26
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Finland 1
  • Moose 2
  • Banjo 1
  • Staff of Aesculapius 2
  • Microphone 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 3

Please contact me on the Homecoming Discord for a faster response! Arcanum#7164

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

As per always, passing on every heartfelt thanks and congratulations to the Homecoming team.  Without you, ladies and gentlemen, we would have been left with nothing but screenshots, Google images and the occasional YouTube video.  This game provides me with a reason to stay awake on Saturday afternoons, after the work-week and the volunteer work is done.  Hoping very much we get to pass on our appreciations in person some day, be it at a gaming convention or the like.  Until then, know that you have everyone here watching your backs, and that the monthly funding call will be answered, and fulfilled, in perpetuity.  All best always.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for putting together this event! What you guys have done here is literally unprecedented! I hope that your trailblazing opens the way for CoH and many other MMOs that were lost well before their time to enjoy a new life with new communities!

• Like 3

Will this be the only event happening or are we going to see the other events pop up for a week like previous years?  I have one alt who desperately needs one of the winter event badges.

Currently playing on Indomitable as @Zork Nemesis; was a Protector native on live.

• City Council
36 minutes ago, ZorkNemesis said:

Will this be the only event happening or are we going to see the other events pop up for a week like previous years?  I have one alt who desperately needs one of the winter event badges.

This will be the only event happening. But, “winter is coming”.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Looking forward to this!

"I wear these colors for me. Not for the government, not for any partisan group, not for any ideological group-think and certainly not because I think I'm #$%@ing superior to anyone else! And other Americans may not feel the same way, some justifiably or not, too angry to represent. And as long as they're not hurting anyone else, there's nothing wrong with that, which puts you a mother%#@&er like you out of the category! I like the people here, man. Even those with struggles and life experiences different from mine. I want to help them be as happy as I am, as they can possibly be. You're going to remember that every time you see these %^#ing colors, Omniphase." -American Speedster, Chapter 1 of the "Philippine Born, U.S.A. Forged" series

small test.gif

It's really, really cool to see the Live devs rejoin the community. Thank you for highlighting that and thanks to those devs for coming back and devoting their time to our rabidly engaged community. 

Also, I appreciate the consideration for time zones. As a +9 GMT player I'm really glad I won't have to take a day off just for a chance at the costume contest. 😄 Hopefully some of the players from Hawaii, Oceania and the Philippines can make it too.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is freaking awesome to hear about the Q&A, especially getting to reacquaint with the original CoH team! *flashes back to CuppaJo's goodbye party & the mayhem that ensued in a particular PvP zone* I love the time capsules event occurring, sound like quite the fun way to mark such an amazing multilevel celebration!

• Like 2

I don't Suffer from Insanity . . . I Enjoy every minute of IT! 🤪

People Around me get to SUFFER! 😼

48 minutes ago, Conviction said:

This will be the only event happening. But, “winter is coming”.

Neat! Although here in New Hampshire we did get a surprise snowstorm (with bonus power outage) a couple weeks ago, so I’m kinda hoping a “sauna is coming”. XD

• Haha 3

I have so many thoughts on this. This makes me so very happy, and so very old, I was like 33 when this came out officially in 2004, and yes I prepurchase, reserved name, and got in on Beta.  Got the tee shirt and collectors box too. Had the comics for a time as well. I might even have that hero click and PVP comic still. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Looking forward to this event! But I also want to say thank you all so much for making this game what it is (Devs and players alike). I cannot believe how welcoming this community is. I have been online gaming since the 28k dial-up days and I have never seen a gaming community that was this welcoming and helpful. It may sound dumb but this community gives me hope for humanity lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

It really tickles me that I share my birthday with City of Heroes and it's always great to get these presents 🎉🎉🎉 

Here's to 20 more years 🥂

Edited by Lunchmoney
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1
  • Pizza (Pineapple) 1

I used to play under the handle @Purple Clown, back on Live. Now I play under @Lunchmoney

I'm in the UK and play on Reunion.

tenor.gif?itemid=7820555&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=9d1a6cd4a2471ee8b0caeb44964610d54dd721275359c0fdb3a54a0c19a1e57e&ipo=images Well done. AND Congratulations Everyone! Reunited.

• Like 2

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Woah... I know that is impossible to accomodate everyone, so don't take this the wrong day 🙂 ! That time for the CC is criminal (at least for me), midnight on a Sunday 😅 Any chance of NOT having both costume contest exactly at the same hour? That may help some people to participate at least in one of them

EDIT. Or maybe, not on the same day of the week (ie: Saturday and Sunday)

And of course, thanks a million for all the effort! The above would be just icing the cake 😄

Edited by Lyrium
  • Like 2

Salutes!

Over the past several weeks, I've introduced probably a dozen friends to City of Heroes. I've seen the proof that all these years later, the costume creator, the world design, writing, level-scaling, trials, all of it still impresses even the pickiest gamers. (And they finally understand why I never shut up about this game.)

Saving, or conquering, Primal Earth and beyond deserves to be experienced. Here's to twenty more years of experiences!

• Like 3

I was 21 when I had a good enough job to get a "good" computer (and finally cable internet vs dialup) and finally try out one of the new breed of MMOs/games.

At the time I finally got to try out: Baldur's Gate II, World of Warcraft, Star Wars Galaxies and ofcourse City of Heroes.

Happy Anniversary all! Glad to see the old devs still a part of this crazy train. 😄 

• Like 1