Rad/Savage Tank questions from a newly returning player

Redknight

Downloading the game now and am 90% sure I am going to main a tanker. Neither of those sets existed when I played last and looking for advice.  I am not a big alt player usually and don't want to waste a lot of time getting him to 50 if it's going to be a really subpar powerset combination.  With it being my first character it will have to be able to function on the cheap for a very long time I imagine, so please keep that in mind. With all that said is rad/savage a good powerset combination?  If so any build advice would be VERY appreciated and if not what do you recommend out of the newer powersets that's better?  

Thanks in advance!

Rad is an amazing tanker primary. Really strong, honestly OP. Savage Melee is it's own cup of tea, given that it's mostly DoT based, it's not a lot of upfront burst damage. That said each set has advantages towards recharge buffs so you'll always have powers recharged, and likely won't need hasten.

If you don't alt around (I do, and have a 50 of every armor or melee set, so I have a little experience), I'd be content with Rad Armor, but would want something else instead of Savage Melee, probably either Titan Weapon or Rad Melee to be honest. Not to say you can't have fun with Savage Melee if that's how you wanna roll, but I don't see someone breaking any pylon records with Savage Melee.