This operation was canceled by the user

Alicia Jewel

• Game Master

I know this doesn't help the situation, but this is an error message I've never seen in Tequila before.  I've been beating up Tequila on my system to get the same error message to appear, and nothing works.

I can see from your post history you've been around since Homecoming launched, so you're no stranger to this.  And clearly the game worked at one point for you.  Was it a while you were away and came back? 

I'll suggest the following, and to be honest, they're long-shots.

• Tequila Install Directory: is Tequila installed in a user folder (C:\Users\... <-- Replace the ... with anything at all) or either of the Program Files folders (x86 or normal)?  You can install Tequila in any folder you want except those locations (a common user suggested location: C:/Games/City of Heroes).
  • .NET Framework, since this is a specific to Tequila issue, are there any pending Windows Updates waiting to finish?  Run Windows Updates and see if this clears up.  (.NET is not needed for the City of Heroes client, but .NET is required for Tequila to work.)
  • At the bottom of this guide is a list of folders in the Tequila directory that are worth backing up (scroll down to the big yellow "EXTRA CREDIT" header.)  If you want, try backing up your local files, then wiping out and reinstalling Tequila on your system.

Let me know if any of those three wake up the launcher.

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

• 3 months later

I am brand new to City of Heroes and just finished downloading via tequila. I have confirmed my patch matches the recommended but when I hit play in tequila I too am getting the , "operation canceled by the user" message. I just ran a windows update but am still having the issue. Any new thoughts?

• Game Master

.NET Framework 3.5 needs to be installed for Tequila to work.  Did you install it first, or are you using a newer version of .NET Framework?  (Compatibility is weird: newer versions of .NET are not necessarily backward compatible with all the prior ones.)

You can get it here.

• Thanks 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.