Synching your custom mobs across several machines.

Heraclea

I created and temporarily published a story that I have been making, on two separate computers.  I made an extensive selection of mobs both custom and official and saved them to the temp version on the big box computer.

When I opened the story on the laptop, I had apparently lost the customized enemy file in the process. 

Is there a way to keep them synched short of copying all the critters files from one machine to another?

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

17 hours ago, Heraclea said:

I created and temporarily published a story that I have been making, on two separate computers.  I made an extensive selection of mobs both custom and official and saved them to the temp version on the big box computer.

When I opened the story on the laptop, I had apparently lost the customized enemy file in the process. 

Is there a way to keep them synched short of copying all the critters files from one machine to another?

No, that's the only way they were stored. When I put Homecoming on the new computer I was able to move the critters, groups, and missions folders from my old CoH backup and everything just kind of worked out for me.

Since Homecoming doesn't have to live in an install directory, I'd recommend using a cloud storage provider like Dropbox or OneDrive and just dropping Homecoming in a directory there, if you need to have it on multiple machines.

If the enemy group in your .storyarc file, or any of its critter files, are NOT on disk, you can still edit a virtual version of the one in your storyarc file since all the information is just copied into it. (If the enemy group is not on disk, but is in multiple storyarcs with the same name in each, the version you look at first will be the version used by all the other storyarcs you look at.)

But if the enemy group itself is in two different stages of development on two different machines, uh, oopsie?

Edited by GlaziusF
  • Thanks 1

I think you're right, unfortunately.  Never used OneDrive for anything, although it is constantly forcing itself on my attention.  May give it a try.   

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

• 4 weeks later

I think I may have found a workaround,  Before you edit your arc on a remote machine, delete all of the custom enemy groups you may wish to change on that machine. You may get an error: the first time I did this I was told that the enemy group was non-contiguous; impossible, because they were all customs.  When you load the group in the editor, it apparently has no choice but to fetch them from the server, and you should then have a synched copy on that local machine.  Save it and move on.  This will require that you use the same trick on the home machine as well.