Lagging on Decent Hardware

Blenk0Chenk0

I don't normally do forum posts so sorry if it is formatted incorrectly.  I just started playing City of Heroes and finished the tutorial; I've enjoyed it so far.  However, I was getting some strangely low frame rates on my relatively decent rig.

Specs:  I5 7400, RX 470, 8gb DDR4

As the game is over a decade and a half old, I thought I could run it without an issue.  Yet, when turning the world detail settings to only 100% I get frames around low 50s to high 40s.  It is very rarely at a stable framerate unless I'm indoors.  I've tried modifying the settings, but I'd like to know if this is an issue with my hardware, or simply another issue that can be resolved.  Any help is appreciated.

• Game Master

Doing fine on the forum posting.  The info is most important, and you got that right off the bat.

And your experience isn't uncommon40-50 FPS on Recommended or Quality Settings is actually standard for most video cards.  Getting 60+ FPS is mostly a dice roll.  Some hardware combos nail it, most don't.  The usual compromise of choosing between visual quality and performance is what most users have to decide.

• Thanks 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

Welcome to the nearly completely unoptimized City of Heroes codebase.  It's a sixteen year-old video game using a twenty year-old codebase as its foundation, but it still can bring a state-of-the-art gaming PC in 2020 to its knees.  You can throw all of the horsepower you want at it, it's still not going to run as well as some modern games that are highly optimized.

1 hour ago, GM Tahquitz said:

Doing fine on the forum posting.  The info is most important, and you got that right off the bat.

And your experience isn't uncommon40-50 FPS on Recommended or Quality Settings is actually standard for most video cards.  Getting 60+ FPS is mostly a dice roll.  Some hardware combos nail it, most don't.  The usual compromise of choosing between visual quality and performance is what most users have to decide.

Well, that's sad to hear.  Thanks a ton for the reply, it's what I was expecting but not what I wanted to hear :P.

34 minutes ago, Apparition said:

Welcome to the nearly completely unoptimized City of Heroes codebase.  It's a sixteen year-old video game using a twenty year-old codebase as its foundation, but it still can bring a state-of-the-art gaming PC in 2020 to its knees.  You can throw all of the horsepower you want at it, it's still not going to run as well as some modern games that are highly optimized.

Thought so, I was hoping it was a problem on my end :P.  Oh well, thanks for the info.