Thinking of re-rolling some of my Brutes to Tanks - Talk me off the ledge

Achilles6

On 6/4/2020 at 5:59 AM, drbuzzard said:

The tanker damage scalar is higher, hence the bonus you get from rage is greater. 

Brutes have a damage scalar of 0.75 vs. tankers now having a damage scalar of 0.95. 

So if we look at a brute at the fury cap ( which is around 80% in normal situations iirc, but I may be a bit off), that gives +160% damage plus normal slotting (gives close to +100% base damage, again, not quite, but I'm math lazy and like round numbers). 

That means a slotted up brute at fury cap does 0.75 *3.6 = 2.6 * base damage of a power. 

A tanker, however, with normal slotting (again rounded to +100%) is 0.95 *2 = 1.9 * base damage of a power.

We then add rage which boosts the user with 80% damage boost. 

Brute goes to 0.75*4.4 = 3.3 * base damage of a power 26% increase

tanker goes to 0.95 *2.8 = 2.66 * base damage of a power 40% increase

We double stack rage and:

Brute goes to 0.75*5.2 = 4.94 * base damage of a power 37% increase

tanker goes to 0.95 *3.6 =3.42 * base damage of a power 80% increase

So while brutes do remain ahead in damage, the gap gets smaller with rage (and even moreso with double stacked rage) and the benefits are more pronounced on tankers. 

In relevance to the OP, I've been build building some brutes of late to contrast to the many tanks I build to try out the big tanker buff. It's quite clear the damage gap is still strongly in favor of the brute, especially how easy it is to hold up fury now. However, if you pick a set which leveraged the AOE changes (war mace is a very strong example), tankers really do a great job of reaping crowds now, and hit notably harder than they did. The durability gap is also quite large. As with all things, there's that opportunity cost on making builds, and as you like durable brutes, you have to make a lot of design choices chasing durability on a brute that come much easier on a tanker. Getting to 90% resistance, or higher defense numbers is simply tougher. The tanker will simply heal more due to greater base and max hit points.  I also make my brutes as tough as I can, and I've been playing the recent ones through DA missions, and the durability gap really shows there since it's generally about as hard as the game gets. The brutes will get beat down if I set to maximum, while my tankers will pretty much stroll on through. If the brute is durable to the particular faction attacks, the advantage in damage is evident how fast I can clear, but if there's a damage hole, the brute will have to be much more cautious or sets things much lower. 

Wouldn't it technically be even closer ? It looks like you have a typo for the brute calculation on double stacked rage:

0.75*5.2 = 3.9

So 3.9 vs 3.42 of tanker

1 minute ago, drbuzzard said:

You are correct. 

Thanks! Still learning the game maths and this just made my decision to keep my shield/SS tanker rather than re-rolling much easier! Especially when Against All Odds gets added into the mix, holy moly.