Can only open Tequila for a split second

frofer

Windows 10. Have been using Tequila to launch CoH Homecoming for over a year with no problems. Now, suddenly, when I launch Tequila (no intervening Windows update, btw), I get the initial screen for a split second and then it closes. Checked firewall and virus protection software, Tequila has permissions needed. Tried delete/reinstall, same results. In desperation and jonesing for CoH, even tried resetting Windows, Still same results. Help????

• Game Master

Next thing to check: .NET Framework.  Does your computer have pending updates for .NET Framework on hold in Windows Update?

(Even rebooting doesn't kick updates off on occasion, sometimes you need to check.)

Edited by GM Tahquitz
  • Like 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

If manually running updates doesn't work, you'll need to look in your Windows Event Viewer (in W10, just type "event viewer" into the search on the "start" menu) to see what's going on at a more granular level.  Look at the exact time when you load and look at the Security events and System events from that minute (there will be hundreds, possibly thousands, to sift through) but you should be able to track down some meaningful information about what's going on with your system.  What you're describing sounds like a security event.

• Like 1

Ran Windows update (yes, there was one needed, but no .NET update). Did not resolve or modify the problem. But thanks for that suggestion, to at least rule out one possible source. I did check the Windows Event Viewer, and see some security events that seem to correspond to my attempts to open Tequila/CoH, but the event codes I get, 4672 and 4624, don't give me enough information to figure out what's happening (barely computer-literate). Many thanks for taking the time to answer, regardless.

Thanks, Xanatos. That didn't work for me (still shut down Tequila immediately even with wifi off), but that's a clue that the problem is probably somewhere in the antivirus/firewall domain. IT detective work is not NEARLY as much fun as CoH. 🙂