No Sound

ikencu2

Hi all, I somehow stumbled upon this game, I used to play back in the day with my late sister, this brings back many nice memories. I'm having trouble with sound, there is none. If I launch the  homecoming.exe, I have sound but don't see the servers. If I launch tequila, the game runs ok but no sound. I'm running on windows 10.

• 4 weeks later

I am having the issue but only missing about 50% of the sounds. For example, cant hear enemy sounds or the jump noise the characters make when you hit the jump key. Very strange. I did re-install and that did not fix the issue. 

• Game Master

@Spine91 I'd look at your volume settings in-game.  Sound FX, Music, and Voiceover are the three volume controls, sounds like Sound FX might be turned down.

As for the others, City of Heroes uses the Windows Audio system to playback sound.  Things to check:

cyE2UDz.png

If you have the game Volume turned up in the Options > Graphics & Audio area, you'll see the client appear in the Volume Mixer on the device it's playing back on.  "Speakers (4- ATR USB Microphone)" is my default playback device.  To see the mixer, right-click your sound icon in the taskbar and select "Open Volume mixer."  City of Heroes audio will be played on your default playback device.  If the Volume Mixer shows City of Heroes is on a device you do not expect, you will need to change your defaults in either the Settings app under the System Icon, or in the Sound Control Panel.

Windows 10 added a quick way to change the default, too.  When you left-click the Sound icon, a volume control appears.  If the top line has an arrow icon, that means more than one output source has been found: click the arrow and you can change your device on-the-fly.
jVCiDE0.png

• Like 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

3 hours ago, GM Tahquitz said:

@Spine91 I'd look at your volume settings in-game.  Sound FX, Music, and Voiceover are the three volume controls, sounds like Sound FX might be turned down.

As for the others, City of Heroes uses the Windows Audio system to playback sound.  Things to check:

cyE2UDz.png

If you have the game Volume turned up in the Options > Graphics & Audio area, you'll see the client appear in the Volume Mixer on the device it's playing back on.  "Speakers (4- ATR USB Microphone)" is my default playback device.  To see the mixer, right-click your sound icon in the taskbar and select "Open Volume mixer."  City of Heroes audio will be played on your default playback device.  If the Volume Mixer shows City of Heroes is on a device you do not expect, you will need to change your defaults in either the Settings app under the System Icon, or in the Sound Control Panel.

Windows 10 added a quick way to change the default, too.  When you left-click the Sound icon, a volume control appears.  If the top line has an arrow icon, that means more than one output source has been found: click the arrow and you can change your device on-the-fly.
jVCiDE0.png

This worked!! I just had to fix the settings for the speakers I am using, took 30 seconds using the above information. Thanks so much GM!

• 3 months later
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 10:39 PM, GM Tahquitz said:

jVCiDE0.png

In case this helps anyone, I had sound last night after downloading i27 and the new installer, but this morning suddenly there was no sound/music in the game at all.  All settings in game and PC sound looked correct and hadn't been changed.  Sound was working fine except for CoH.

CoH was not appearing in the sound mixer, even after a restart.

I have two playback devices listed: Speakers/Headphones and RealTek Digital.  Switched from Speakers to Digital and then back again, and the sound returned!