Retail Investing

BafflingBeerman

During this whole shelter-in-place thing, my wife and I decided to invest a little personal money into the market, because of all the talk of how it is crashing and hence, an optimal time to invest. We are having a little competition about who picks the better stocks. She's going mainstream (Disney and Apple) and I am going little-heard. She is, of course, winning. We are using Robin Hood and Wealthfront, which picks stocks using an AI. So I hope before the robots kill us all, they at least make me a little money. It has become something of a surprise hobby for me, reading earnings reports and various books. I am currently reading a book first published in the early 90s and it is a good laugh anytime the author recommends a business or strategy that the next 20 years disprove as being viable (i.e. stay away from anything that is advanced technology).

Anyone else doing retail investing?

Yeah, that Lost guy from back in the day.

• 7 months later

I'm a retail investor as well and most books are just theory but in practice things are much harder. It's really arrogant to say that investing is an easy task for anyone. I remember a friend who opened a car shop without doing any research or even considering the budget that he needed to open it. Long story short he ended up without money after two years of opening the place and declared bankruptcy. I want to open my own business at this point and I've started by analyzing all the requirements and reading about the budgets first of all https://www.juststartinvesting.com/best-budgeting-books/. I will invest my money only when I feel ready that I will not fail for sure.

Edited by Ambassaduss