Fixing A Specific Kallisti Wharf Client Side Issue

Aoide

Disclaimer: Please note that what is covered in this guide will not fix every issue that may happen in Khallisti Wharf. It is only for one specific issue. And it might not even work for every instance of that specific issue.

This guide is for my fellow players that go to Kallisti Wharf and notice things.... Missing. Or worse, will crash somewhere in Kallisti Wharf and are then unable to log the character that they were on in anymore without the client instantly crashing.

Things that may be missing include, but are not limited to: The drawbridge between One Statesman Plaza and The Old Slough, the tallest building in the zone (which is located at the center of One Statesman Plaza), the Statue of Statesman in One Statesman Plaza (where the exploration badge is located), plus other things including in places entire sections of the ground located in various areas of the zone.

The reason this happens: I currently do not know. BUT this issue has been noted as something that happens to players who have used Paragon Chat and Titan Icon (mainly before Homecoming went public). It is also something that could easily effect players who have copied all the files of their instal from someone who used Titan Icon and/or Paragon Chat.

Update!  According to a Developer (Faultline, see below), this issue is due to the various programs having, and trying to use different versions of the Kallisti Wharf Zone.

The fix: Go into the folders where you have City of Heroes installed. Find the folder labeled 'data'. Go into said folder and either delete (or rename) the 'bin', 'geobin', and 'object_library' folders. Then just to play it safe, you may want to Re-Validate your City of Heroes installation via your Launcher (this step is optional, but recommended due to the fact that you are mucking with game files).

With that done, many of the missing textures and objects should now appear properly in the Kallisti Wharf Zone, and if you crash there you should (in theory) be able to log back in without having to ask a GM for help.

Happy Hunting!

Edited by Aoide
Adding new information
  • Thanks 1

• City Council
7 hours ago, Aoide said:

The reason this happens: I currently do not know. BUT this issue has been noted as something that happens to players who have used Paragon Chat and Titan Icon (mainly before Homecoming went public). It is also something that could easily effect players who have copied all the files of their instal from someone who used Titan Icon and/or Paragon Chat.

It's because they have a different version of the Kallisti map that was built for Titan Icon and the HC client is trying to load that version, which is incompatible. Any folders under data other than texture_library and sounds can cause crashes.

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2020 at 11:29 PM, Faultline said:

It's because they have a different version of the Kallisti map that was built for Titan Icon and the HC client is trying to load that version, which is incompatible. Any folders under data other than texture_library and sounds can cause crashes.

Thank you!  Original post edited to add new information.

As is I kind of feel bad about having even made this guide, but given the number of times in the past where I've crashed out of HC, and had to have my character sent to another zone via a GM, and how it wasn't until a few days ago I even found any information on the forums as to the fix (I usually searched after every crash and would find all sorts of random KW related posts, but nothing related to fixing this issue or even it's cause), I figured I'd try to do something to help anyone else who's experiencing this issue.

Again, thank you Faultline!