Power tray commands (and an anomaly)

Shenanigunner

This is sort of dull but I've found a quirk in the command structure that may have confused others, so let me document it here.

There are six slash commands that make power trays appear and disappear, and three sets of four commands that switch the default tray numbers around. Most work just as you'd expect, other than the almost meaningless "traysticky" power names.

All of these commands affect ONLY the default trays (primary, secondary, tertiary) — in fact, if there are any commands that affect tear-off or floating trays, I can't find them.

First, the commands that switch the VIRTUAL (numbered) tray in each physical (primary, secondary, tertiary) tray:

NEXT: advance the virtual tray number by one, looping around from 9 to 1:
  /next_tray  [primary]
  /next_tray_alt  [secondary]
  /next_tray_alt2  [tertiary]
  /next_trays_tray {1-3} [designated tray]

PREV: decrement the virtual tray number by one, looping around from 1 to 9:
  /prev_tray  [primary]
  /prev_tray_alt  [secondary]
  /prev_tray_alt2  [tertiary]
  /prev_trays_tray {1-3} [designated tray]

GOTO: specify which virtual tray to show in the physical tray:
  /goto_tray {1-9}  [primary]
  /goto_tray_alt {1-9}  [secondary]
  /goto_tray_alt2 {1-9}  [tertiary]
  /goto_trays_tray {1-3} {1-9} [designated tray]

Easy and trivial, right? The base commands for macro/trayswappers.

Now the commands that make floating trays appear, just like clicking the + icon:

Open new floating tray:
  /shownewtray

Trays are opened in an order that only matters for window control purposes, 4-9 (e.g. /windowscale tray4 1.5 will scale the first tear-off tray opened). There don't appear to be any other tray commands that can be used to control these trays; you have to set configuration and virtual tray with clicks. You can only dismiss these trays with a right-click command, or /windowclose trayn command. (Nor is there any way to identify the tray-window number, other than by memory and experimentation. Arrgh.)

Now the commands that make the default trays come and go:

Cycle the open tray set just like clicking the arrow icon (primary, primary+secondary,
primary+secondary+tertiary, back to primary):
  /alttraysticky

Cycle the tertiary tray open and shut:
  /traystickyalt2
This will open and close the third tray even if the second tray is not displayed.
There appears to have once been a corresponding command for the secondary
tray (/traystickyalt) but it no longer functions.

And cycle a designated tray open and shut:
  /traysticky {1|2| {0|1}
Other values are accepted for the tray number (including 0) but do nothing.
The secondary and tertiary trays can be opened and closed independently.
Note that this command, unlike the others, is apparently zero-based;
the secondary tray is tray 1 and tertiary tray 2, unlike the _trays_tray commands,
which are 1-3. Go figure.

And now we come to the SOB that confused me for some time and has probably frustrated a number of players who experiment with it:

/alttray {0|1}
  /alt2tray {0|1}

These commands open and close the secondary and tertiary trays, just like some of the commands above... but then lock the tray open as well. Other commands will no longer cycle or hide that tray. There is no warning or notice. if for some reason, you opened the tertiary tray with /alt2tray 1, you will be unable to close it even though the secondary tray can be cycled in and out of visibility.

My suggestion is to not use these two commands at all; I can't think of a reason you'd want to lock either tray open and immune to other control when there are other commands that don't have this quirk. And if you've got a secondary or tertiary tray that won't go away, hit it with a 0 command to unlock it.

Edited by Shenanigunner

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com