Dark/Psi Dom: So much fun. :-)

heyhylix

So in my project to rebuild a stable of control focused alts I now have my first two controllers working up (Fire/Storm and Dark/Dark) in their early 20's.

I started my first Dom since the live servers went down on that sad, sad day.

As a long time Mind/ player, I'm addicted to confuse and my main villain was a Fire/Psi permadom build that just tore through content.  I still like /Psi best out of all the blasts sets for a Dom though, so I've gone with Dark/Psi. 

Such fun.

My son has been getting Into COH recently, and has been enjoying how his Bots/Bubbles MM can generally handle things well. 

He mentioned that it can take him a bit to take down a single hard target like a boss esp if they are color shifted up much at all.

So I created Styxian (my Dark/Psi Dom), street swept him up to the point that I had two slots in Possess (lvl 7 for those playing along at home), and ran a +2 mission in the hollows with a full suite of SOs slotted, the new stores are sooooooo much nicer! Some of the purple 3 minion at +3 spawns got a bit hairy, adds were actually DANGEROUS but I finally got the the boss fight, with a full domination bar and my critical insps unused and ready. Got him to come watch the fight, popped a yellow and two purples and two reds, clicked domination, confused the provided minion/pet and went to town on the boss.

He went down like a wet noodle. Finishing blow was a perfectly timed and executed TK Thrust that threw the boss across the room to hit the far wall and sump bonelessly to the floor. Styxian wasn't even winded. It was glorious. 
I turned and looked at my MM playing progeny and asked him what he thought: "Impressive" was the response. 

Deeply enjoying the play style difference. One of the things that COH did so well was the deployability of having so many different play styles that make leveling up alts so much fun.  Got lucky on Lavan (My Fire/Storm controller) who burns down larger spawns and got a good recipe that provided about 5 mill inf to fuel SOs for new alts. Makes it so much fun. 

Went Speed pool on Styxian, SS just works well with his basic sprinting through content, Hasten is an obvious requirement for the future though I don't really need it yet. 
Picked up Combat TP for vertical movement and because it's a new power for me. The +ToHit is really quite good. I used to run Tactics for the +ToHit, CT looks like a decent substitute as well as shortening the run in time when using ST controls on a standard spawn. Fun.

Looking forward to how I expect the build to mature. PSW isn't is broken powerful as it was originally, but it's still dang good. Drain Psyche makes it hard for me to choose any other Dom secondary, and Psi Dart is probably the best Dom builder in the game until I get to late stage and permadom. -Rech stacking in /Psi is surprised me again in how much it helps when you're in the lowbie toddler stage of the build.

Anyway, just sharing the joy a bit. 

Dominators are so much fun, and make a perfect pairing to the Controller experience. 

Fire/Storm Controller for large spawns, Dark/Psi Dominator for smaller purple shifted smaller spawns and single hard targets. 

I think I need to find missions that provide a lot of bosses to feed to Styxian. To borrow a phase from my youngest (related to a youtuber with Kermit the Italian grey hound), Bosses are good for him, they help him grooooooow... :

• Like 1

Yeah I'd rate kitted out Dark/Psi as one of the most survivable Dominators you can build. That -ToHit and massive Regen/Recovery boost in Drain Psyche provides an intimidating number of layers of survivability. If I weren't already leveling a Dark/Energy which I consider equally powerful in a different way it's the direction I'd go.

• Like 1

• 2 months later

Are there any builds that anyone can share? I just rolled one as the combo just seemed great in the creator 🙂 If anyone has a permadom or the like, that would be great.

EDIT - Of course there's a build already: 

Edited by inqueblawt