Dark/Time?

Agorazium

I've been leveling a dark/time controller which is in the 20s right now. When putting an endgame build together it seems like the combination is starved for slots, even with skipping multiple powers and one-slotting the three teleports. Was wondering if anyone could take a look and see if I'm under- or over-slotting anything. I skipped Hasten as I have perma-Farsight without it, and when building with Hasten and shooting for perma-Chrono Shift I felt like I was sacrificing too many other set bonuses for +recharge. Umbra Beast I just don't feel is useful (I have a Dark/ dom at 50) and Haunt I skipped for thematic reasons though I would not be opposed to fitting it in there somewhere.

The one power I feel may be over-slotted is Possess. I wouldn't drop it, but I definitely don't get enough use out of it to warrant six slots. I've never played Time to a high level so not sure if I'm even slotting the powers correctly. Time Stop feels like overkill and I don't play this character in melee range enough to get use out of Juncture.

Here is the build:

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Controller
Primary Power Set: Darkness Control
Secondary Power Set: Time Manipulation
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Force of Will
Power Pool: Teleportation
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Grasp

• (A) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Hold
  • (7) Basilisk's Gaze - Recharge/Hold
  • (7) Basilisk's Gaze - Endurance/Recharge/Hold
  • (37) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold

Level 1: Time Crawl

• (A) Impeded Swiftness - Chance of Damage(Smashing)
  • (3) Accuracy IO

Level 2: Temporal Mending

• (A) Numina's Convalesence - Heal/Endurance
  • (39) Doctored Wounds - Heal/Endurance

Level 4: Hover

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (5) Luck of the Gambler - Defense

Level 6: Possess

• (A) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused
  • (25) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused/Recharge
  • (40) Coercive Persuasion  - Accuracy/Confused/Recharge
  • (40) Coercive Persuasion  - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (40) Coercive Persuasion  - Confused/Endurance
  • (43) Coercive Persuasion  - Contagious Confusion

Level 8: Fearsome Stare

• (A) Cloud Senses - ToHit Debuff
  • (9) Cloud Senses - Accuracy/ToHitDebuff
  • (9) Cloud Senses - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (11) Cloud Senses - Chance for Negative Energy Damage
  • (11) Glimpse of the Abyss - Chance of Damage(Psionic)

Level 10: Temporal Selection

• (A) Recharge Reduction IO

Level 12: Heart of Darkness

• (A) Eradication - Chance for Energy Damage
  • (13) Scirocco's Dervish - Chance of Damage(Lethal)
  • (13) Obliteration - Chance for Smashing Damage
  • (15) Armageddon - Chance for Fire Damage
  • (15) Cloud Senses - Chance for Negative Energy Damage
  • (17) Obliteration - Accuracy/Recharge

Level 14: Fly

• (A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

Level 16: Distortion Field

• (A) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Hold
  • (17) Basilisk's Gaze - Recharge/Hold
  • (34) Basilisk's Gaze - Endurance/Recharge/Hold
  • (37) Basilisk's Gaze - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold

Level 18: Project Will

• (A) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage
  • (19) Devastation - Damage/Endurance
  • (19) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Devastation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge

Level 20: Weaken Resolve

• (A) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage
  • (21) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff
  • (21) Cloud Senses - Chance for Negative Energy Damage
  • (50) Shield Breaker - Chance for Lethal Damage

Level 22: Wall of Force

• (A) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage
  • (23) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance
  • (23) Positron's Blast - Damage/Range
  • (25) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (27) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy)
  • (31) Force Feedback - Chance for +Recharge

Level 24: Teleport Target

• (A) Endurance Reduction IO

Level 26: Shadow Field

• (A) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration
  • (27) Superior Will of the Controller - Control Duration/Recharge
  • (29) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge
  • (29) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance
  • (31) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Control Duration/Endurance/Recharge
  • (31) Superior Will of the Controller - Recharge/Chance for Psionic Damage

Level 28: Farsight

• (A) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Increased Global Recharge Speed
  • (33) Luck of the Gambler - Defense
  • (33) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Recharge
  • (33) Luck of the Gambler - Defense/Endurance/Recharge
  • (34) Kismet - Accuracy +6%
  • (34) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

Level 30: Combat Teleport

Level 32: Fold Space

Level 35: Dark Consumption

• (A) Obliteration - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (36) Obliteration - Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (36) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (37) Obliteration - Chance for Smashing Damage

Level 38: Chrono Shift

• (A) Performance Shifter - EndMod/Recharge
  • (39) Synapse's Shock - EndMod/Recharge
  • (39) Preemptive Optimization - EndMod/Recharge

Level 41: Dark Obliteration

• (A) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage
  • (42) Positron's Blast - Damage/Endurance
  • (42) Positron's Blast - Damage/Range
  • (42) Positron's Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance
  • (43) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage(Energy)
  • (43) Annihilation - Chance for Res Debuff

Level 44: Soul Drain

• (A) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance/Recharge
  • (45) Obliteration - Accuracy/Recharge
  • (45) Obliteration - Damage/Recharge
  • (45) Obliteration - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge
  • (46) Obliteration - Chance for Smashing Damage
  • (46) Scirocco's Dervish - Chance of Damage(Lethal)

Level 47: Dark Embrace

• (A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)
  • (48) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%
  • (48) Impervium Armor - Resistance
  • (48) Impervium Armor - Resistance/Endurance

Level 49: Slowed Response

• (A) Achilles' Heel - Chance for Res Debuff
  • (50) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance for Negative Damage
  • (50) Touch of Lady Grey - Recharge/Endurance

Level 1: Brawl

• (A) Empty

Level 1: Containment 

Level 1: Sprint

Edited by Sovereigne
  • Like 1

Thank you for the feedback! Yeah, the concept is a probability manipulator hence two sets with a hoard of buffs/debuffs, and why I slotted PROCs wherever I could. Also why I struggle to find an APP that fits. 

I felt like softcapped defense was unnecessary because of all the -ToHit I'm throwing around. On harder targets it might not get me quite to 45% but with everyone and their mother running Maneuvers I feel like it won't be TOO much of a problem...

I hear you on Dark Consumption. I messed around with the build and dropped that and Fly for Hasten and either Time Stop or Haunt. Time Stop takes a lot of procs so I feel like it'll be more damage than Haunt.

Re: Living Shadows, I was considering taking Spectral Interface to make up for not taking the immobilizes, does that count towards Containment? If so, I have a pretty solid AOE rotation of Fearsome -> WoF -> Slowed Response -> Distortion Field -> Dark Obliteration that should get plenty of immobilize PROCs off.

Edited by Sovereigne
  • Like 1

Here's what I have now that the toon is 50 and can start thinking about purples. I'm pretty impressed with her endgame performance so far, the AOE damage is actually decent and the /Time buffs are appreciated if not always necessary. Toon is able to clear minions/LTs by herself. Single target damage is a little lacking but I think that's a cross most controllers have to bear. Moved some slots around to 5-slot Temporal Mending since it was underperforming with only one slot. I think the only power that's overslotted now is Distortion Field, since it's extremely underwhelming as a hold even with the Lockdown proc, but I don't know where else I would put them at this point...

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.0.4.7
https://github.com/Reborn-Team/MidsReborn

Level 50 Mutation Controller
Power Pool: Force of Will
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Grasp -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(37), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(37), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(39), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(40)
Level 1: Time Crawl -- ImpSwf-Dam%(A)
Level 2: Temporal Mending -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(40), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(43), Pnc-Heal(43), Pnc-Heal/+End(43)
Level 4: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(5), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(7)
Level 6: Teleport -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(7)
Level 8: Fearsome Stare -- CldSns-ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(9), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(9), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(11), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(11), CldSns-%Dam(13)
Level 10: Temporal Selection -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Heart of Darkness -- Erd-%Dam(A), ScrDrv-Dam%(13), Obl-%Dam(15), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(15), CldSns-%Dam(17), Arm-Dam%(17)
Level 14: Project Will -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(19), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Apc-Dam%(21)
Level 16: Distortion Field -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(40), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(46), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(50), Lck-%Hold(50)
Level 18: Weaken Resolve -- TchofLadG-%Dam(A), AchHee-ResDeb%(23), CldSns-%Dam(23)
Level 20: Time Stop -- NrnSht-Dam%(A), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(25), UnbCns-Dam%(25), GldNet-Dam%(27)
Level 22: Wall of Force -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(27), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(29), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), PstBls-Dam%(31), FrcFdb-Rechg%(31)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(31)
Level 26: Shadow Field -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(33), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(33), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(33), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(34)
Level 28: Farsight -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(34), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(36), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37)
Level 30: Combat Teleport -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 32: Fold Space -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 35: Slowed Response -- TchofLadG-%Dam(A), AchHee-ResDeb%(36), ShlBrk-%Dam(36)
Level 38: Chrono Shift -- PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(A), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(39), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(39)
Level 41: Dark Embrace -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(42), ImpArm-ResPsi(42), ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx(42)
Level 44: Dark Obliteration -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(45), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Ann-ResDeb%(46)
Level 47: Soul Drain -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(48), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(48), Arm-Acc/Rchg(48), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(50)
Level 49: Possess -- CrcPrs-Conf%(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), SynSck-EndMod(3), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(5)
------------

Edited by Sovereigne

On 4/7/2021 at 12:35 AM, Sovereigne said:

unnecessary because of all the -ToHit

I'm right there with you on this! Unless you are really gearing towards incarnate content, of course, where stacking more on both ends may be pretty handy.

If I'm using a set with strong -tohit that isn't annoying to apply, I consider it a prime opportunity to ignore that big sprint to softcap and instead focus on recharge and/or proccing out.

My impressions of your final build listed here:

• Love the HoD proc bomb!
  • Others have commented on Umbra and Haunt. Honestly the set is usable without, but pretty lackluster. I do understand if you are pursuing theme and preference heavily here.
  • Since you have foregone Umbra and Haunt, you are also lacking some of your prime damage tools. Wall of force and Dark oblit are great, but you don't have good containment for them. D-field is too unreliable in its mez, and Shadow field is on a long cooldown. I would recommend finding a way to pickup Living Shadows to setup aoe containment. I suppose I am echoing 5099 here as well. Personally, I would drop soul drain or time stop for it. If you dropped Time stop, switch the hold procs to dark grasp. The IO bonuses there are nice, but not a huge sacrifice.

I'm sure you'll do fine with it either way! I did go a little more proccy on mine (procced d-field, procced living shadows), and kept the pets. Even then, damage only okayish in practice - but hey, you're a controller!

Edited by Onlyasandwich

5 hours ago, Onlyasandwich said:

I'm right there with you on this! Unless you are really gearing towards incarnate content, of course, where stacking more on both ends may be pretty handy.

If I'm using a set with strong -tohit that isn't annoying to apply, I consider it a prime opportunity to ignore that big sprint to softcap and instead focus on recharge and/or proccing out.

My impressions of your final build listed here:

• Love the HoD proc bomb!
  • Others have commented on Umbra and Haunt. Honestly the set is usable without, but pretty lackluster. I do understand if you are pursuing theme and preference heavily here.
  • Since you have foregone Umbra and Haunt, you are also lacking some of your prime damage tools. Wall of force and Dark oblit are great, but you don't have good containment for them. D-field is too unreliable in its mez, and Shadow field is on a long cooldown. I would recommend finding a way to pickup Living Shadows to setup aoe containment. I suppose I am echoing 5099 here as well. Personally, I would drop soul drain or time stop for it. If you dropped Time stop, switch the hold procs to dark grasp. The IO bonuses there are nice, but not a huge sacrifice.

I'm sure you'll do fine with it either way! I did go a little more proccy on mine (procced d-field, procced living shadows), and kept the pets. Even then, damage only okayish in practice - but hey, you're a controller!

Thanks for your input! I'm curious about the math behind Haunt vs. TIme Stop. TS is doing 200-300 damage every 10 seconds or so which I think is the highest single-target damage of any of my controllers.

I am missing the immobilize more than I thought I would. I think if anything I will have to drop Fold Space, which is incredibly useful on some teams and worthless on others. 

Lots to think about still, but what's the fun of hitting 50 if not respeccing 12 times until your build is exactly right 😁

Now that I've run most of the endgame content with the toon, I have another build that I will be testing this week. It drops Force of Will, Teleportation and Soul Mastery to make room for Power Boost, Umbra Beast, Living Shadows and Tough/Weave. Reasons being:

• Wall of Force was my least useful AOE power - meaning that by the time I blew the rest of my AOE load, either everything is dead already or my other powers are up again. I have a few other controllers where WoF is useful but it wasn't bringing much to this character. The ST powers are OK but the activation times just feel bad. There are better things I could be doing with those ~5 seconds.
  • ~35% ranged defense wasn't cutting it in certain content, especially in groups where I have to tank (or at least open). Power Boosted Farsight+Weave gets me well over the softcap, and my S/L resistance is capped now as well.
  • Living Shadows' AOE containment isn't super valuable on such a proc-heavy build...but neither was Soul Drain, which forced me to stay in melee range for longer than I liked with questionable results. I will miss the -ToHit of Dark Obliteration but I think Primal Mastery wins out overall.
  • With dropping the two ST Force powers, my single-target damage is even worse. Thus, Umbra Beast.

Overall though this toon was already kind of a monster before these changes, and is a blast to play. I get a lot of compliments and have been able to carry a few struggling teams. Buffs are always welcome and Heart of Darkness w/ procs is devastating, let alone paired with Void Judgment. Curious to see how it improves after min/maxing it a little better.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Level 50 Mutation Controller
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Primal Forces Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dark Grasp -- UnbCns-Hold(A), UnbCns-Hold/Rchg(43), UnbCns-Acc/Hold/Rchg(43), UnbCns-Acc/Rchg(46), UnbCns-EndRdx/Hold(50), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(50)
Level 1: Time Crawl -- ImpSwf-Dam%(A)
Level 2: Temporal Mending -- Pnc-Heal/EndRedux(A), Pnc-Heal/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal/EndRedux/Rchg(17), Pnc-Heal(19), Pnc-EndRdx/Rchg(39)
Level 4: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(15), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37), Flight-I(40)
Level 6: Living Shadows -- PstBls-Dam%(A), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(7), TraoftheH-Dam%(7), CldSns-%Dam(37)
Level 8: Fearsome Stare -- CldSns-ToHitDeb(A), CldSns-Acc/ToHitDeb(9), CldSns-Acc/Rchg(9), CldSns-ToHitDeb/EndRdx/Rchg(11), CldSns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(11), CldSns-%Dam(23)
Level 10: Temporal Selection -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Heart of Darkness -- Erd-%Dam(A), ScrDrv-Dam%(13), Obl-%Dam(13), Arm-Dam%(15), FuroftheG-ResDeb%(25), CldSns-%Dam(25)
Level 14: Recall Friend -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Distortion Field -- Lck-%Hold(A)
Level 18: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(19)
Level 20: Time Stop -- NrnSht-Dam%(A), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(21), UnbCns-Dam%(21), GldNet-Dam%(23)
Level 22: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 24: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(40)
Level 26: Shadow Field -- SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(A), SprWiloft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(27), SprWiloft-EndRdx/Rchg(27), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(31), SprWiloft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprWiloft-Rchg/Dmg%(36)
Level 28: Farsight -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(29), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(29), Rct-Def/Rchg(31), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(31), Rct-ResDam%(50)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RedFrt-Def(37), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(40)
Level 32: Umbra Beast -- ExpRnf-Acc/Rchg(A), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg(33), ExpRnf-Dmg/EndRdx(33), ExpRnf-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), ExpRnf-EndRdx/Dmg/Rchg(34), ExpRnf-+Res(Pets)(34)
Level 35: Slowed Response -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A), TchofLadG-%Dam(36), ShlBrk-%Dam(36)
Level 38: Chrono Shift -- EffAdp-EndMod/Rchg(A), PrfShf-EndMod/Rchg(39), SynSck-EndMod/Rech(39)
Level 41: Power Blast -- Apc-Dmg(A), Apc-Dmg/Rchg(42), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Apc-Dam%(43)
Level 44: Energy Torrent -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(45), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(46), Ann-ResDeb%(46)
Level 47: Temp Invulnerability -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(48), Ags-ResDam(48), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(48)
Level 49: Power Boost -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Flight-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(3), Mrc-Rcvry+(3)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), SynSck-EndMod(5), SynSck-EndMod/+RunSpeed(5)
Level 50: Intuition Radial Paragon 
------------

Edited by Sovereigne