New player help staff/xxx

Seigmoraig

Hello !

Like many people I have found this lovely server and gotten back into CoV.

Back in the day I mostly soloed with a MM and I also had a Corruptor. This will basically be my first Melee character in the game.

I found staff to be a cool looking Archtype with some single, ranged and aoe capabilities that looked interesting (especially since your weapon can be a giant pipe)

I was wandering about which secondary power pool would pair well with Staff primary. I really have no idea what I am looking for in these power pools, as in what are some of the key power types I need to look out for when selecting powers.

I would like to make an old monk type character with a beard that is so strong he doesn't need real weapons so he smashes faces with his pipe

Any help would be appreciated !

:D

I am partial to Staff/Bio but based on the type of char you want, either Staff/SR, Staff/Invuln and Staff/WP should work fine. SR is def based set with +rchg perk, Invuln is a mix of res and def with an awsome self heal that also adds HP and WP which relies on +HP and +Regen to survive with the advantage that benefits from pretty much every single power pool, especially Fighting Pool.

I am partial to Staff/Bio but based on the type of char you want, either Staff/SR, Staff/Invuln and Staff/WP should work fine. SR is def based set with +rchg perk, Invuln is a mix of res and def with an awsome self heal that also adds HP and WP which relies on +HP and +Regen to survive with the advantage that benefits from pretty much every single power pool, especially Fighting Pool.

Thanks for the reply, I will look into these !

What about Ninjitsu as a secondary? Is WP that much better?

WP is a more comfortable choice since it has some defense, some resistance, regeneration and +HP so it has good survivability on its own plus it's really easy to boost with power pools and, if you like it, just a few sets and it is also a very passive set so it is pretty much easy mode.

Ninjitsu is also somewhat a mixed set although its main strength by far is positional defense. It has a few survivability tricks and a self heal so it is a far more active set than WP and will probably take a bit more effort power pool and set wise to take to an optimal spot which would be softcapping all positional defenses, but yep, great set nevertheless.

It is a matter of personal taste and playstyle, I personally find WP way too dull and although I tried to get into it many times because, let's face it, offers the best survivability for the minimum investment, I always ended up deleting my WP chars, namely lvl 50 spines/wp, lvl 50 claws/wp, lvl 50 BS/WP, lvl 41 DM/WP back in game and more recently a lvl 41 STJ/WP.

I did not recommend Nin because I felt for the cocnept char the OP mentioned, SR, Inv and WP would fit better but yep, Ninjitsu is a great set and would work well with Staff, of course.

Thanks for the feedback guys !

I ended up going with WP for my guy. The staff set is very dynamic and I will have my hands full (because im total noob) trying to get the most out of the set so WP works well for me. I played him last night up to level 10 and I had a great time :)