Proposed weapon changes

While there was much within DCUO I couldnt get into there was one thing that it did better than COH as far as player options go.  I liked how powers and weapons werent locked together.  So you could have a fire based character and still have that toon equip a bow or sword.  The idea was that you were shooting fire arrows or using a fire sword.

Now in COH, barring Beam Rifle, all the weapon sets do smashing or lethal damage.  The most resisted damage types in the game.  It also restricts some concept themes, such as a hero who is able to fire a freeze ray/bullets  or shoots fire arrows.

What I propose is that when you select your tier 1 or 2 power you would gain a new option to select your damage type.  All your shots now do that type of damage and have the associated existing damage procs.  Initial power options would include; Fire, Cold, Electrical, Psychic, Dark, and Radiation.  You can also choose default if you wish to keep the standard damage type.  Your power choice would also dictate what control shot you would have.  So Archery would have Stunning Shot affected, AR would have Beanbag, Beam Rifle would have Lancer Shot affected, and Dual Pistols would have Suppressive Fire affected.

So if you chose Fire, Ice, or Electrical then you would get a hold like Char, Freeze Ray, and Telsa Cage.  Dark, Radiation, Psychic would get stuns like Scramble Thoughts.  Powers within a set, such as ARs Flamethrower would be exempt from the changes as already is an elemental attack.

Dual Pistols already has something along these lines with swap ammo, but with more limited options and you can swap ammo at any time, vs what I propose would lock your damage type in unless you did a respec.  The question of what to do with DPs Swap Ammo power I had a few optional ideas for.  One would be to loose the ability and add another shot to the power options.  Since the set lacks an Aim power, that was one thought.  The other was to leave the power alone with one little change.  If you chose either fire or Ice as your main weapon damage you would lose that ammo option.  So if you chose Fire then you could only swap to Cryo or Toxic rounds.  If you used Swap Ammo you would act the same as it does now and your shots would no longer be doing fire damage till you turned it off and swapped back to normal rounds.  Having attacks doing two different procs and damage types at the same time would likely be problematic.

Aside from improving player options this could also help with some of the issues sets like AR experience with dps.  Giving players the option to use a different damage type could help the set considerably.

For melee you dont need to add damage type options, as all the damage types are already covered with different power sets.  What melee can use though is more animation options.  So for example you chose to make a Fire scrapper, but wanted him to be channeling his attacks thorough a mace.  So add options to allow players to choose different weapon animations for their attacks if they so choose.

Edited by dragonhawk777