Lost Connection to Server after selecting server

Yeoshu

Hey, I'm just jumping back in to this game after a while, and I'm running into an annoying issue. After I log in and choose a server, it immediately says, "Lost connection to server. Would you like to go back to the login screen?" I've tried turning of my firewall, reinstalling, waiting on that screen, nothing. This isn't the same computer as the one I used to play on, so it would seem some difference between them is causing the issue. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Just to cover the basics:

Did you place the game folder on the Hard Drive in it's own folder or in Program Files? ( can't be in Program Files or any Windows controlled location )

Have you tried connecting to different shards? ( Even if you don't have Characters there it may help narrow down the Issue )

Are you using Tequila or the Homecoming Launcher? ( Homecoming Launcher is generally preferred, check if it is the correct Version )

Are you using a Wired or Wireless connection? ( if you can be Wired, I would, Latency and Lost Packets will kill this games connection )

( Being able to stream music or video, or being able to Surf the web does not prove anything, all of those are buffered and can handle lost packets, etc., COH can't )

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

2 hours ago, Marine X said:

Just to cover the basics:

Did you place the game folder on the Hard Drive in it's own folder or in Program Files? ( can't be in Program Files or any Windows controlled location )

Have you tried connecting to different shards? ( Even if you don't have Characters there it may help narrow down the Issue )

Are you using Tequila or the Homecoming Launcher? ( Homecoming Launcher is generally preferred, check if it is the correct Version )

Are you using a Wired or Wireless connection? ( if you can be Wired, I would, Latency and Lost Packets will kill this games connection )

( Being able to stream music or video, or being able to Surf the web does not prove anything, all of those are buffered and can handle lost packets, etc., COH can't )

Thanks for your reply. It's in its own folder on the root of the drive. I've tried connecting to every shard. Sometimes, I can connect for a few moments. Sometimes I can get as far as logging in, but I get disconnected with time. I'm using the Homecoming Launcher as well, the newest version, as I've reinstalled the game multiple times. I am unfortunately forced to use a wireless connection. The game works on another computer I have, but it is too slow to actually play the game. I've tried using my phone's hotspot to see if it was a problem with my internet and not the computer, but no dice on that front either. It's extremely likely that its something with that specific computer, but I cannot figure it out.

Below is some ideas from @Tahquitz from a different topic. BTW, as it still works, you might try a separate install of Tequila to see if you get a different result.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Network communications appear to stop with the game immediately after login.  This has happened on Paragon Chat a bit back in the day for the same reason.

Three things:

1.) Secure communications is time-dependent.  Check your system time/date/timezone and make sure they're set correctly.  (This is fairly unlikely except in edge cases, as an incorrect clock would affect your HTTPS browsing as well.)

2.) There's some client advice from Paragon Wiki/HC Wiki from back in the day:

Game Ports

The game client is somewhat Firewall and NAT friendly. However any issues can be resolved by ensuring the following ports are open:

• TCP 2104
  • TCP 2106
  • TCP 443
  • UDP 7000-7200

See if opening these ports makes a difference in Windows Firewall or your security app of choice.  (Outgoing Rules ONLY, setting these in Incoming Rules creates more vulnerabilities without helping to connect any better.)

3.)  If neither of these help, you can use a Launch Parameter to see disconnection errors better in your case:

--console

This will show you the network activity upon login in a different window.  Be careful, as if the client is closed or crashes, the console window dies immediately.  (A second monitor, even if it's hooking a HDMI cable to your TV temporarily, may be helpful.)

When you have the info you need, clearing the Launch Parameters box in Tequila will stop the Console Window from opening when starting the game.

Marine X

1 hour ago, Marine X said:

Below is some ideas from @Tahquitz from a different topic. BTW, as it still works, you might try a separate install of Tequila to see if you get a different result.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Network communications appear to stop with the game immediately after login.  This has happened on Paragon Chat a bit back in the day for the same reason.

Three things:

1.) Secure communications is time-dependent.  Check your system time/date/timezone and make sure they're set correctly.  (This is fairly unlikely except in edge cases, as an incorrect clock would affect your HTTPS browsing as well.)

2.) There's some client advice from Paragon Wiki/HC Wiki from back in the day:

Game Ports

The game client is somewhat Firewall and NAT friendly. However any issues can be resolved by ensuring the following ports are open:

• TCP 2104
  • TCP 2106
  • TCP 443
  • UDP 7000-7200

See if opening these ports makes a difference in Windows Firewall or your security app of choice.  (Outgoing Rules ONLY, setting these in Incoming Rules creates more vulnerabilities without helping to connect any better.)

3.)  If neither of these help, you can use a Launch Parameter to see disconnection errors better in your case:

--console

This will show you the network activity upon login in a different window.  Be careful, as if the client is closed or crashes, the console window dies immediately.  (A second monitor, even if it's hooking a HDMI cable to your TV temporarily, may be helpful.)

When you have the info you need, clearing the Launch Parameters box in Tequila will stop the Console Window from opening when starting the game.

Thank you again for helping me. I've found that if I actually get as far as getting to the character selection, when I actually select a character, it boots me back to the login screen. The console shows a server timeout. It's really a shame, because I thought I was getting somewhere. It looks like I can sometimes connect to the DBserver and stay connected, but if I try to connect to the mapserver it never works.

You might read through this, if you haven't, as it covers what does and doesn't work with COH pretty thoroughly. 

Laptops and COH: A Modern Guide - Help & Support - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

Marine X

8 hours ago, Marine X said:

You might read through this, if you haven't, as it covers what does and doesn't work with COH pretty thoroughly. 

Laptops and COH: A Modern Guide - Help & Support - Homecoming (homecomingservers.com)

Hi again, I read through it. I should be fine on the specifications front. My desktop has an RTX 3070, 32 GB of ram, and a Ryzen 5600x processor. It was my intention for it to be able to run any game I would ever want to. Thanks for sticking with me on this, though.

3 hours ago, Yeoshu said:

Hi again, I read through it. I should be fine on the specifications front. My desktop has an RTX 3070, 32 GB of ram, and a Ryzen 5600x processor. It was my intention for it to be able to run any game I would ever want to. Thanks for sticking with me on this, though.

I figured it out. For some reason, if I have google chrome open, it makes the game disconnect. It is a bit annoying, but I'm glad to have figured out it's an easily fixable issue.

• Like 1