Potential Placate Bug: No animation on Bane Spiders during redraw windows

Shin Magmus

I mean no animation, as in 0.0s animation time and it still happens with no time cost or opportunity cost.  It looks like a bug to me.  I recorded it on training dummies with some narration and cut out the waiting parts.

I'm not frame-counting myself, although with this video anyone can.  Based on how it appears to me, this new buff to Placate allows you to FREELY INSERT PLACATE ANY TIME YOU SWITCH BACK TO THE MACE FROM NON-MACE POWERS.  This is highly relevant for Banes, who are forced to awkwardly shoot their potent Venom Grenade from a stupid gun (they really need an option to shoot this from the mace).  It looks like you save the 0.8s animation of Placate entirely while still reaping the benefits of using it.  There's still redraw, but Placate plays during the redraw and then your Shatter or Crowd Control hits at roughly the same time... however just late enough that it works correctly and you get your crit, or "Executioner's Strike" on Shatter specifically.  This is very potent for finishing off tough targets in actual gameplay, because Venom Grenade stacks with itself.  If you're trying to take out the last bit of health from a Fake Nemesis or Paragon Protector, then Venom Nade -> Placate -> Shatter will almost certainly finish them.  Even if it doesn't, it knocks down and gives you time to follow up and chip off their remaining health.

Choose your weapon:  Okay, I choose words.

I do not believe the false notion that "your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge."

12 hours ago, ShinMagmus said:

I mean no animation, as in 0.0s animation time and it still happens with no time cost or opportunity cost.  It looks like a bug to me.  I recorded it on training dummies with some narration and cut out the waiting parts.

Good eye! I reproduced it just like your video.

Hopefully they'll fix when they do the VEAT review. Whenever that happens.

I'd like them to give VEATs some proper buffs and no redraw when they do that, and fix the Placate bug.  I also have a theory as to the cause of this bug, which is related to the fact that they just changed Placate to "activate" instantly in its animation.  Most powers have a portion of their animation be "startup", then the effect, then the rest of the animation is "recovery".  Placate got changed to have no "startup", so it is able to try and activate BEFORE the redraw animation starts playing... while pretty much every other power in the game is correctly interrupted by the redraw animation and delayed by it.  Very interesting.

Choose your weapon:  Okay, I choose words.

I do not believe the false notion that "your ignorance is just as good as my knowledge."