Shield/Rad Build Review

Owenknowone

Please review this build.  I am wondering if I am on the right track or were or what should I tweak?  Looking for help also with incarnates.  Once I start working on my incarnates, is some of this slotting overkill?

This Hero build was built using Mids Reborn 3.2.17
https://github.com/LoadedCamel/MidsReborn

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Science Tanker
Primary Power Set: Shield Defense
Secondary Power Set: Radiation Melee
Power Pool: Flight
Power Pool: Fighting
Ancillary Pool: Energy Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Deflection -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(3), UnbGrd-EndRdx/Rchg(3), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(5), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(5), UnbGrd-Max HP%(36)
Level 1: Contaminated Strike -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- Rct-Def(A), Rct-Def/EndRdx(9), Rct-EndRdx/Rchg(11), Rct-Def/Rchg(11), Rct-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(13), Rct-ResDam%(13)
Level 4: True Grit -- Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(A), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(15), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(15), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(17), Ags-ResDam(17), Ags-Psi/Status(19)
Level 6: Active Defense -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(19)
Level 8: Against All Odds -- PrfZng-Taunt(A)
Level 10: Taunt -- Ann-Taunt(A), Ann-Taunt/Rchg(21), Ann-Taunt/Rchg/Rng(21)
Level 12: Phalanx Fighting -- LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(25), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(27), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(27), LucoftheG-Def(29), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(29)
Level 14: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-Travel(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(31), BlsoftheZ-ResKB(31)
Level 16: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 18: Radiation Siphon -- Hct-Dmg(A), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(31), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Hct-Acc/Rchg(34), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(48), Hct-Dam%(48)
Level 20: Grant Cover -- LucoftheG-Def(A)
Level 22: Tough -- ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx(A), ImpArm-ResDam/Rchg(33), ImpArm-EndRdx/Rchg(33), ImpArm-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(36), ImpArm-ResPsi(42), ImpArm-ResDam(43)
Level 24: Fusion -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(25), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(34), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(34), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(50), GssSynFr--Build%(50)
Level 26: Shield Charge -- SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg(A), SprMghoft-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprMghoft-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprMghoft-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprMghoft-Rchg/Res%(39)
Level 28: Irradiated Ground -- Erd-%Dam(A), ScrDrv-Dam%(39), Obl-%Dam(39), TchofLadG-%Dam(40), ShlBrk-%Dam(40), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(40)
Level 30: Weave -- Srn-Def/EndRdx(A), Srn-Def/Rchg(42), Srn-EndRdx/Rchg(42), Srn-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(43), Srn-EndRdx(48), Srn-Def(50)
Level 32: One with the Shield -- ResDam-I(A)
Level 35: Devastating Blow -- SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg(A), SprGntFis-Dmg/Rchg(43), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprGntFis-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprGntFis-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprGntFis-Rchg/+Absorb(46)
Level 38: Atom Smasher -- Arm-Dmg(A), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(46), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(46), Arm-Acc/Rchg(47), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(47), Arm-Dam%(47)
Level 41: Focused Accuracy -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Physical Perfection -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), PrfShf-End%(49)
Level 47: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 49: Cross Punch -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Gauntlet 
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Health -- Prv-Absorb%(A)
Level 1: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Stamina -- PwrTrns-+Heal(A)
Level 14: Afterburner 
------------

Edited by Owenknowone

• Owenknowone changed the title to Shield/Rad Build Review

Slotting a full set into a power isn't the best way to slot a power 90% of the time. The only power in your build where slotting a full set makes a lot of sense is fusion.

You need some basic knowledge of game mechanics. Specifically the value of Softcap defense to defense based builds, which Shield is a member of. The defense softcap for normal content is 45%. That means normal mobs have a 5% chance to hit you.

Defense is broken into 3 vectors for shield - melee, range and AoE. if you can get all 3 to 45% defense you will have pretty complete coverage against most attacks. Your build doesn't have 45% defense to all 3 vectors.

You also need to pay some attention to powers and the numbers behind them. Use the view totals button to look at how turning powers on/off affect your numbers.

Deflection offers a lot of melee defense, you should slot it for a combination of defense and resist.

Phalanx fighting gives you a static defense buff that can not be enhanced when you are alone. In other words, it's a one slot wonder.

You can have up to 5 of the same set bonuses, for example the Luck of the gambler 7.5 global recharge. Defense based builds should have no problem finding room to fit all 5 in.

You need some end reduction in Irradiate Ground, and even if you do throw procs in it you are missing the achilles heel -resist proc.

Rule of thumb, figure out the bonuses you want to focus on (defense/recharge/etc..) chase those exclusively and stop slotting more of the set in that power once you get that bonus from the set. Then figure out what to do with the slots you saved. (For example invest some of those into contaminated strike.)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Liberty, Torchbearer, Excelsior, Everlasting

Jezebel Delias

Level 50 Fire/Elec/Mace Blaster

I am the Inner Circle!