Defining Moments - Discussion

Grog the Big

New chapter up.  Some credits from the first installment:

Shadowspawn is the creation of @Shadowspawn.  He was in the game right at kickoff, was one of the founding members of the HUB community, and, at one point, had the highest-level character on the Triumph server (Shadowspawn, naturally).  He was also the founder of the first supergroup on Triumph, Family Force.  His children @Too Cool and @Super Green played the game as well.  All good people.

G-Force Knight is the creation of @Spacio.  There was once a SG-only TF that was only accessible through the Supergroup Mission Computer.  It never made it to the live servers as the devs couldn't get the darned thing to work, but, while we were all on the test server trying in vain to get the mission computer to start the TF, @Spacio decided to try and fix the mission computer by dropping a Warburg nuke right on top of it.  We all had a good laugh at that.

All hail the mighty Grog! 

New chapter up.

Jenny, a.k.a. Jennifer Feldman, a.k.a. Firefox is the creation of @Void Tyger.  It was funny with the two of us having female toons in game and in the story as we're both men, kind of like that old joke about the Internet, where the men are men, the women are also men, and the children are FBI agents.  Anyway, he was a good sport.  The folks who donated toons that got a lot of screen time, so to speak, risked more than others who contributed toons for a cameo, so, many thanks to VT!

New chapter up.  Color (Colour?) Sergeant Barnes is my own creation, inspired by Colour Sergeant Frank Bourne as portrayed in the excellent 1964 movie Zulu. Still haven't rolled him as a character in-game yet.  The Lady Grey dialogue is taken as much as possible from the actual in-game dialogue.  That's not just me being laz- ahem, efficient, but also trying to push the in-game feel of interacting with the character that we players would be used to.

I forgot to give some credit last time to The Deadly Mime, a creation of @BuzzSaw/@Doc Plutonium (he changed his global).  That incident recounted in the last update was one back before the aggro cap, defense nerf, and ED, so you can imagine how long ago this happened.  I was getting PLd by my buddies in the Unai Kemen Freak-verse mission, and the Deadly Mime was the highest-level toon.  He went and rounded up nearly the entire map of Freaks and led them back to us so we could smash the whole lot of them at once.  After the aforementioned nerfs dropped I was a little sore but, because of the Mime being able to herd an entire map by himself, I understood why the devs felt them necessary.

• 2 weeks later

New chapter up, with a slight delay due to computer crash.

Lots of credits to give out this time:

Supa Fly is the creation of @Rhynwa. Unlike everyone else, she provided reams of background material, character quotes, in-game macros and binds, screenshots of all of Supa FLy's costumes, everything I could ever want to breathe life into her creation.  She even wrote and posted a short story based on events in the tale on the Forgotten Legion fansite.  Any time we teamed with her on Supa Fly, she left me in stitches.  I don't think I ever saw all the emotes, macros, and binds she created for that toon: there were so many!

Bellona is the creation of @Darque Beast, @Rhynwa's RL husband.

StarDust is the creation of @Goddess of Wind.

Thunder Dragon is the creation of @Dark Sentinel, one of the founders of the Forgotten Legion supergroup, charter member of HUB, and the maintainer of our fansite.

Tetsu Sensei is my creation.

AGM-88 HARM is the creation of @Quantum Storm, my brother.  As he complained to me, "You used my most vanilla character!  Why?"  Well, sometimes it's best to work on a blank canvas.  One interesting note: @BuzzSaw noted after a SG PvP event that our group was sorely lacking in firepower, and he petitioned for creating a group within the group, The Minutemen, all Blasters, all named after real-world missiles.  AGM-88 HARM was one of The Minutemen.

Fallenz is the creation of @Fallenz, another of the charter members of HUB.

• 2 weeks later

New chapter is up.  I took some inspiration from the Top Cow/Image City of Heroes comic series for this one.

We've jumped away for another arc in the tale.  There's always something going on in the city, and, while we'll be paying attention to these two missions, we know that the fight against evil is so big no one can keep track of it all...

...except Lord Nemesis...

...or maybe that's what he wants you to think...

• 2 months later

New chapter is up, finally.  After some travel for work and fighting formatting issues, all is well, and I'm back to regular updates.  Sorry about that.

As an apology, and a way to help keep track of who's who, I have a screenshot from when the players behind the characters actually ran the LGTF, with one stand-in: @Robert the Brute on Tai Pei instead of Tetsu Sensei.  I can't dual-box, so I played Shining Crystal, and Robert graciously brought his Ninja/TA MM to sub for my ninja lord.  Thanks, Robert!

Defining Moments cast.jpg

• 2 weeks later
  • 5 weeks later

Chapter 9 is up.  It's another episode from the Fallenz sub-arc.  You'll see this a lot.

Creidts to:

@Mister Coyote for Captain Glacier.  The player has a thick New Hampshire accent, and I had fun writing that in.

@MonochromeMolly for Monochrone Molly.

@Warbow for Warbow.

@Pheonix of Syrinx for Phoenix of Syrinx.  Almost all his toons had the name Pheonix of Syrinx (yes, I know it's misspelled, I corrected the spelling for the story) with punctuation added to distinguish the names in the system.  It wasn't easy inviting him to a team by name...

@Ziggy Stardust for Flog, who makes a repeat appearance.  Sorry I forgot to guive credit the first time!

@Lucius Quintus for Lucius Quintus

All HUB members on Triumph.  Miss you guys!

Edited by Grog the Big

• 2 weeks later
  • 4 weeks later
  • 4 weeks later

Chapter 12 is up.  As mentioned in my original post, I owe @Blue Battler a debt of gratitude for his excellent fan fiction (on Live forums) about Peneolpe Yin, the Clockwork King, and his vision of a relationship between them.  His work inspired much of this installment.  Enjoy!

• 2 months later

Chapter 13 is up.  How did I let this go so long without an update?

Credits aplenty for this one:

@BlackSun17 for The Doomsday Chicken (first soldier story).  The chicken wasn't played for laughs, but he always left me in stitches.  Thanks, BS17!

@Grandpa Wisdom for topical storm (second soldier story).  Grandpa was an odd duck but a solid player, except when he played topical storm (Mind/Storm controller).  He was the kind of stormy who give stormies a bad name, once causing a party wipe becuase he scattered an entire mob away from an AV and saved them all from our alpha strike.  Still worth teaming with, just make sure he isn't playing a stormy.

@Quantum Storm for Quantum Storm.  My RL brother, he created Quantum Storm for Shining Crystal to duo with.  Didn't take long before we realized two support toons working together still need help...

Chapter 14 is up.  We jump back to the other team for a moment for some philosophical discussions and some fierce action.

What is the nature of a hero?  Some are born to it, some have it thrust upon them, and some... really belong on the other side of the War Walls.  Which character belongs in which category?

• 3 months later