His last leap...was the leap home(ish)

DR_Mechano

A bright white flash filled the prison cell, illuminating the dank surroundings, thankfully the guards were too busy dealing with the whole Arachnos deal to actually notice the strange occurrence. Once things had finally settled down a small, grey skinned, white haired bearded old man got up to his feet. Dusting himself down with a sigh.

"This had better not be another....wait..."

He patted himself down, pausing for a moment to stare at this hands, he knew these hands (well HAND, the other arm was purely mechanical but it was familiar), he knew this body. It had been years spent traveling, what felt like eons, constructing portal after portal with whatever magic and technology he could piece together in the dimensions he had visited. Each time the device had been a one way trip, each time a new place and a new body. New rules he had to abide by. But now he was here again.

He pulled down the goggles...goggles...one of his two last remaining pieces of tech that had followed him throughout his adventures. They whirred into life, scanning the surroundings, bring up reams and reams of data. The old man tapped his foot impatiently.

"Yes, yes but is it home?"

With a sigh he finally found his answer as it flared up on the HUD.

"It isn't home...but it is close enough, at least I'm not under three foot in height this time and I'm finally back to being me again..."

He gave a soft chuckle to himself, reaching into his pockets, feeling around and pulling out a small communications device, the other piece of tech that had been with him through thick and thin. It had somehow survived worlds of magic and sorcery, worlds so close to this one but yet so very far. Turning it on he took in a deep breath. He didn't expect a response, he never did. He doubted that even if his former allies had somehow survived whatever it was that had happened to force him into that damned portal...he was old and his memory a little fuzzy.

"This is Doctor Mechano, broadcasting on all E.V.I.L. Frequencies along with all known frequencies of past associates, I'm back and once I'm out of this place...I would very much like a pick up if any of you are still around and kicking or even the same person you were when I knew you. I require a workshop, a fresh set of clothes and a long, hot bath...I'll take two out of three..."

With this he set off, the prison would provide enough parts to scrounge together a basic combat drone until he could get to work remembering how to program proper AI. He went to throw out his hands to power on his forcefields and...nothing happened...

"OK...guess that's a little different from before...might have to try to work something new into the mix...high frequency radiation is usually something I can make man portable in a short space of time...I just need a microwave, a washing machine, several TV remotes and some copper pipe..."

With that the Doctor trudged out of his cell an into the surrounding chaos...this world was a new one, a fresh start as it were and that could mean so many more chances...it could also mean he already existed here and he really didn't want to have to murder his dimensional doppelganger to try to take over anything but...it was a sacrifice he was willing to make.

”Aaaaah.”  Big Game groaned softly to himself as he looked across from where he lay on the deck of the ‘Jelly Fish Dream’. Ever since He’d accidently destroyed Boss Morretti’s favorite painting the Family mobster had been sending his boys over every few days to Big Game’s barely floating home to ‘subtly remind’ him that compensation was due. If the dilapitated old tug had been seaworthy Big Game would dissapeared for a while but unfortunately the boat was little more than a floating hovel at the moment.

Of course Big Game had already been trying to raise the cash to pay Morretti, but he’d been plagued by various misfortunes and was getting nowhere.  Most recently he’d been hired to hunt Jack in Irons and even put together a team of fellow hunter/scavengers he dubbed the Hyenas, but on their very first outing the rest of the team were killed and probably devoured by the giant monster.  He had been lucky enough to escape without a scratch but then blundered into Morretti’s boys.

So there he lay.  Feeling sorry for himself until... 

Sqwaaark! “This is Doctor Mechano, broadcasting on all E.V.I.L. Frequencies along with all known frequencies of past associates, I'm back and once I'm out of this place...I would very much like a pick up if any of you are still around and kicking or even the same person you were when I knew you. I require a workshop, a fresh set of clothes and a long, hot bath...I'll take two out of three..."Sqwaaark!

Big Game rolled onto his back and reached into shirt pocket before pulling out what was now essentially little more than a small speaker hanging from a mass of wires.

”Freakin’ great!  Stupid comm unit smashed.  Even if I did know who you are or what you are talking about I can’t respond anyway.  Guess I’m gonna need a new one”

Problem was, for the life of him Big Game couldn’t remember where he’d originally got this one from...

He was out of that dank urine soaked hell hole that was the Prison and now free...into another dank, slightly less urine soaked hell hole that was Mercy. He looked down at his new little drone and his rather cumbersome microwave unit backpack that was probably going to kill him eventually but it was better than walking up to people and punching them, which had been his other option.

"Gregori, sensor sweep, any strange...wait this is Mercy and I just saw an android dressed like a French Maid beating the R.I.P. to death with a spatula, cancel the strange part, just any time space problems kicking off?"

The Drone begun his scans of the area, beeps, whistles and whirring came from it until eventually the data was fed back to his googles. There was a moments pause of hesitation, he really hoped he wasn't just swallowed up by a new portal and spat out somewhere else, please let this place be at least semi-stable. With a deep sigh of relief and a curt nod of his head he found it was. Naturally he didn't see any signs of pickup, too much to ask. He looked around and took in an all too familiar sight.

"I would say I missed you old girl but even tinting these googles lenses in a pastel rose colour would not hide the fact you are, and always will be, terrible."

He fumbled through his pockets taking out a notepad and jotting a few things down.

"Alright, to do list, firstly, secure an abandoned property, secondly...liberate...some technology from whoever I find has it and begin reconstructing a new lab. Thirdly, see if I can get in talks with some sort of bio-engineering firm about borrowing their lab space for a while. Robots I can do at the moment...engineering supers is going to be a little more difficult without the funds I use to have...might have to put an add in the paper..."

A few days go by and the good Doctor is firmly settled into the basement of a burned out husk of a building. It wasn't much but it was home, well it was after he had Gregori clear out the Snakes first...then move the bodies...then clean up after that. The lab was a mish-mash of parts of various pieces of equipment some clearly 'borrowed' from Arachnos, others Longbow and others were cobbled together hodgepodges of machinery that probably shouldn't work, but somehow did. He put the phone down and leaned back in his arm chair (which was also where he slept).

"Well that's done then, lets see if we get any bites."

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The ad in the local paper, as large as Edward could afford it, went as follows:

Scientist looking for work, skilled in Robotics, all manner of engineering including both chemical, nuclear and biological. Will work for advanced lab space and food (please provide bio-engineering vats). If hired I also come with a free walking, talking toaster...its for toast on the go! Yours completely free when you hire me. Please call me on 1-800-TOAST. Oh and Tony, you tiger stripped pants wearing goon, if you're reading this, where on earth was my pick up, I know SOMEBODY got my call and I doubt Big Lunk would have left an old partner high and dry. Prospective employers, please ignore that last part. Like I said, fre

The Doctor had clearly ran over his word limit.

It was late evening in the Bar of the Damned and Big Game sat opposite a zombified Confederate officer playing what had started out as being a couple of friendly hands of poker into what was now a high stakes game.  On the table between them was a mixture of Confederate gold and a few bars of pure silver.  The silver bars was something of an investment for Big Game as he originally intended to cast them into silver bullets for a contract he’d picked up from Esoteric Technologies.  The problem was once ‘Game got wind of the Confederate gold he thought he could stake his silver, win the gold and pay of Morretti quicker and with less effort than hunting down Eso-Tech’s werewolves.  For the most part luck had been on Big Game’s side making him a bit cocky but now the last of his silver and previous winnings were on the table he started to have the nagging feeling that he’d been hustled.

”Yeeeeeehaaaaw!  Sir, ah do believe that South has truly rose again.”

Big Game looked down at the dead Confederate’s unbeatable hand and gulped as he realised he wasn’t only back to square one but a good several steps behind that.

”Aw don’t worry Mr. F... I mean Tony, your luck is bound to turn around soon” the hunchback Marty chimed in as he wiped the table after the Confederate Zombie collected his winnings and left the table.  “Maybe you ought to put an ad in one of the papers like that scientist Toast friend of yours”.

Big game looked totally lost.  “What in freakin’ hell are you on about Marty?”.

Marty scampered over and grabbed a newspaper off the bar.  He then rifled through the pages until he found what he wanted.  Then whilst pointing at the ad he replied.  “Here, here.  One of the Midnighters left it here.  You even get mentioned in the ad.  Looks like you was ‘sposed to pick him up for some Lunk guy”.

Big Game snatched the paper from Marty staring at the ad totally confused.  ”What the...?”.

Big Game sat in a chair on the deck of the Jelly Fish Dream holding the newspaper Marty had gave him trying to decide what to do next.  The tiger striped pants were Big Game’s signature style so it wasn’t uncommon for strangers to refer to them when talking about him.  However, his real name ‘Tony’ was pretty much exclusively used by his friends.  Hell, even Ol’ Mama Fedele would never call him Tony, but instead use his given name of Antonio, followed by Renzo Fedele and more often than not some form of chastisment in her native Italian tounge.  Problem was nothing else in the ad made sense to him so Big Game couldn’t decide if it was some sort of trap.  In the end though curiosity got the best of him and he dialled the number before putting the phone to his ear.

The phone rang a few times before answering with a ’Click!’ then a deafening ‘SQUEEEEEE DRRM DRRM DRRM!!!’.  Big Game couldn’t explain it but the noise obviously being some sort of high powered drilling almost triggered a memory of panic within him and he barely fought back the urge to scream something about ‘they’re coming outta the goddam walls’ before discharging his rifle indiscriminately.  Luckily his rifle wasn’t to hand but he did notice he’d actually instinctively grabbed his trusty baseball bat Monster Mash in his moment of confusion.  Just then the drilling sound coming from the phone stopped and there was a couple of clangs before a moment of silence where Big Game took the opportunity to ask...

’Heyyy, what’s shakin’?  Is there anybody there?...

The old Doctor was busy working on various new inventions. Whilst he had only approached a few people about the Walky-Talky toaster but none of them seemed that interested, perhaps he'd have to broaden his horizons a little to other mobile household appliances. He was busy trying to cobble together a washer-dryer on tank treads, after all, clean and dry clothes at a moments notice would be very desirable in both heroic and villainous line of work. This, naturally, required some heavy drilling otherwise the machine would simply shake itself to bits while it moved. It took him a moment to noticed that Gregori was standing beside him with the 'Call received' light flashing on his little head. Well he hoped that hadn't scared away any prospective employers.

"Heyyy, what's shakin'? Is there anybody there?...

He knew that voice, oh how he knew that voice.

"Tony! So you ARE alive...well the you that's in this dimension is alive...unless you're the same you from the old dimension...don't think about it too much, you'll go cross-eyed," the Doctors voice radiated happiness then switching for a moment to mild annoyance.

"So...where was my pick up then? I've been slumming it in Mercy, having to deal with Snakes and drug addled hobos for the last several days while I'm cobbling together some ramshackle pieces of things I can actually try to sell!"

He paused, however not long enough to give Big Game time to speak, "Alright, so, you called the number, that mean you've got some interest in hiring your old pal back...well...you know what, lets not go into that again. I'm working for cheap, food and science space, you give me stuff and I'll science it up for you all nice, so...anyway...how can I help exactly Tony or should I say Mr Fedele."

”Whoah there!  What the hell are you talking about dude?  You sound like you know me but I ain’t gotta clue who you are.  What are you, some sorta stalker trying to confuse me with ya Star Trek talk.  Hell for all I know you could be some sorta badge.  If you an me are going to keep talking you best start breaking it down Sesame Street style.”

Edward took in a deep breath and slowly begun to explain about the whole multiverse deal, that there were many different dimensions, some similar to this one, others very, very different. He explained that he was from another dimension which was incredibly similar to this one. That he and Tony had been friends in another dimension and that problems had arose that caused him to flee it. He couldn't remember what kind of catastrophe had caused it but he'd spent years going from one dimension to another trying to find his way back home, like that show Sliders...or Quantum Leap, whichever Tony was familiar with.

He explained that himself and Tony had worked for a corporation known as E.V.I.L. (aka the European Villainous Immorality League...it was a bit on the nose as far as acronyms went but he didn't pick it). They'd fought together during the second Rikti invasion which is where Edward had lost his arm. He chuckled when he told Tony of the time he caused everyone in the league to panic when he was drilling into a Rikti heavy assault suit, causing them to think they were under attack. How Tony had lept to his defense while only in his Tony the tiger underwear.

"So...that's the breakdown, I'm assuming you're the Tony from this dimension, not the one I knew, however we always worked well together, you with your snarky attitude and monster hunting skills and myself with my science. Speaking of which how is the whole Hyenas thing going, I assume you're having more success in this dimension than the old Tony did?"

Big Game listened as the Dr Mechano rambled on about how he knew him (well, a version of him), their adventures together, and the Doc’s dimension hopping.  Admittedly a lot of it went over Big Game’s head as despite him asking the Doc to keep it simple ‘nerd speak’ was second nature to the Doc and obviously very difficult for him to deviate from.

While the the idea of parrallel universes wasn’t alien to ‘Game (after all he has a freakin’ TV!) he never really gave much thought to other versions of himself.  It was obvious however that the Big Game from Mechano’s Earth was very similar to him and bar a few deviations that Big Game’s life tracked very closely alongside his own.  In fact during some of Mechano’s stories Big Game got the distinct feeling of deja vue.  When he mentioned it the Doc said something about a “possible dimensional phase crossover event” at some point, but Big Game quickly dimissed that as just More of Mechano’s ‘nerd speak’.  However by the end of Mechano’s ramble Big Game was convinced that despite the fact they might not of always got on there was a definite friendship and loyalty between the pair and even though they had never met in this reality there was already a bond so when Mechano mentioned the Hyenas and Big Game’s current life status he didn’t think and responded as if he was talking to an old friend...

”Success... well um...  Gotta admit it Doc things ain’t exactly all going well at the moment.  I mean sure I’m damn good at what I do an I got a real good rep for it, but due to some collateral damage on a recent job for Boss Morretti I’m in deep for a couple of million.  Anyway he’s been leaning hard on me for the dough so I have taken a few risky jobs.  I actually put the Hyenas together to take down Jack in Irons, but the team got wiped.  I mean when I say go left YOU GO DAMN LEFT!!!”

At that moment Big Game was looking at his hand and suddenly realised he might of actually been at fault for that one.  Feeling slightly embarressed he hid his hand behind his back even though there wasn’t any one physically there to notice.

”Don’t get me wrong despite the high overheads for equipment and stuff monster hunting and harvesting of their remains makes good money on the black market but it takes time both for the hunt and to find a buyer... time Morretti isn’t exactly keen on me taking.  Freakin’ typical if I was harvesting human organs I’d be laughing there always a demand for that, but it’s not there is a waiting list where a Vampire is waiting for a heart or a Werewolf is waiting for a spleen or something...”

A blue figure sits in a rather crappy apartment, pizza boxes and beercans everywhere.  Ragged black coat on the table, she sits with her legs up on the couch.  She flips the channels on the TV, bored.  A few minutes later she gives an annoyed groan, tilting her head back.  She stands up, going over to her boxes of stuff in the corner.  Junk, old tech, bags of money, a rusted swordblade.  She picks it up, giving it a few swipes.  She sets it back down, rifling through.  She pulls out an old phone, of all things, and takes it back to the sofa, flipping it up and down in a scaled hand.  The damn thing wasn't even hers, anyway.  Somehow, Vanguard said it belonged to her and had it delivered.  Well, she wasn't going to say no to free stuff.

She could never get it to open, though.  No amount of randomly inserted keycodes would unlock it.  Yet it always had some charge.  She finds her gaze drawn from the phone, to the rusted blade.  She remembers the day she got it.  She had a choice, years ago.  Go after the Family goon, and take his guns and his crew, or go after the Tsoo adept, and steal herself a magic sword.  Well, it wasn't even magic in the end.  And by the time she tried to go for the Family, all was left was his tattered coat.  She eyes it on the table.  It's not aged well.  She always seems to think about then, when holding this weird phone.  But then the phone vibrates, and a tinny sound comes from the battered speaker.

"This is Doctor Mechano, broadcasting on all E.V.I.L. Frequencies along with all known frequencies of past associates, I'm back and once I'm out of this place...I would very much like a pick up if any of you are still around and kicking or even the same person you were when I knew you. I require a workshop, a fresh set of clothes and a long, hot bath...I'll take two out of three..."

She looks stunned down at the device, mouth dropping open.  It doesn't make any sense.  Then the phone flips open with a click.  There's a sharp pain in her head, and she moves a hand to her nose, and it comes away sticky and red.  The phone has a poor quality screen, and some images flick up on it.  They are crudely drawn, and she flicks through them, pieces of knowledge settling in her head.  Two images stand out to her.

CITvqTK.jpg

9Kvz4EO.jpg

She closes the phone with a click, and leaps up, grinning. She grabs her coat and the rusty sword, chucking the phone into her pocket.  She grabs a fistful of cash, and opens her window.

"Looks like I've got some trouble to get into." 

She leaps out.

((Posting on behalf of Dr Mechano until he can get back online.))

”Freakin’ typical if I was harvesting human organs I’d be laughing there always a demand for that, but it’s not there is a waiting list where a Vampire is waiting for a heart or a Werewolf is waiting for a spleen or something...”

On hearing this Mechano had a ‘light bulb’ moment... well more of a super bright spotlight you could signal some sort of winged rodent hero with moment.  After all Dr Mechano wasn’t just your run of the mill genius.  Tony was right about the demand for human organs and there was big money to be made in organ trafficking. However, why would anybody settle for a simple replacement organ when they could get something that not only does the original job but actually enhances the host in some way.

Mechano’s imagination ran wild.  Vampiric organs that conferred longevity, Werewolf glands enhancing a person’s regenerative properties, Coralax gills allowing underwater breathing, the list seemed endless.  Of course simple surgical implantation wouldn’t be enough but combining organs with cybertechnology may help ensure the host wont reject and actually be able to control these ’Necro-grafts’.  Necrografts...  Of course ‘NECROTECH!!!’ Exploded into his brain as he remembered the name of the company he founded back on his own Earth.  Tony has been wasting his time hunting beasties and selling their bits to witches and hedge wizards for brewing into potions and the like. No, Mechano thought to himself, instead he should be hunting to provide the raw materials we need for this grand new business venture.  Of course in order to get this off the ground Mechano knew they would need facilities, equipment, manpower and ideally a large number of organs.  Perhaps Tony can facilitate that requirement?

”Tony my boy, what if I told I want you to join me in a business venture that will clear your debt with Morretti, make you considerably wealthy and require no more from you than what you do on a daily basis anyway?”

There was a pause.  Mechano thought for a moment that Tony was actually giving some sort of serious thought to his question until there was a ”crunch!” sound that indicated he probably had a mouth too full of Cheetos to actually respond straight away.

”Mmm, crunch!.. NOW you are speaking my language Doc.”

The day after Big Game had contacted Mechano they had decided to meet in person at the ’Salty Spittoon’, a rather seedy bar a stones throw from where the Jelly Fish Dream was berthed.  At first it was all about ‘sort off catching up’. As Mechano told more stories about their time on the other Earth.  He also spoke at part about some of their other colleagues and Big Game thought it might be kinda cool to run into his Earth’s versions, especially some of the ladies that he had some success with.  Still that was thoughts for another day and Big Game had work to do.

After sort of reminiscing Mechano gave his pitch for Necrotech, as well as presenting ‘Game with a piece of paper with a lot of projected figures on it. Despite being obviously mad you couldn’t argue with Mechano’s intelligence and he seemed to be onto a winner.  There was a lot to do and one thing Mechano wanted, a ‘large stockpile’ of harvested monster organs seemed unobtainable until Big Game remembered that ’Esoteric Technologies’ commonly shortened to Eso-Tech would have exactly what they wanted in their Menagerie genetic engineering facility.  Eso-Tech, a sort of magic meets wierd science rogue research company used to contract Big Game to hunt specimens for live research as well organ harvesting so he knew they’d have a large stash on ice.  Problem was they, amongst other nastiness, had their own personal army. 

They had considered hiring mercenary help but considering what had happened to the Hyenas any merc worth their salt would want substantial ‘danger pay’, instead Mechano suggested they simply dupe some heroes into running interference while Big Game robbed Eso-Tech’s cold storage.  Mechano figured that if Big Game spun them some line about a scientist looking to escape Eso-Tech’s unethical research they’d just lap it up.  He also figured that if they used somebody affiliated with Hero Corps they’d be even less likely to turn them down as they’d probably be more concerned with the prospect of a pay off after the job.  Sure enough after a little bit of research they found a likely candidate in the form of the Veritas Corporation a fairly new ‘Heroes for Hire’ group who had yet to establish any serious reputation.  So plan in hand Big Game set out to sucker himself some ‘do-gooders for dough’.