When one persons RP and world building intrudes on everything

DrunkFlux

I fall into an odd slot here as I tend to acknowledge my character's own abilities within the context of gameplay as a representation of roughly what they're capable of. Say, my Crabbermind who folds GMs and AVs in half like origami cut-outs. They're dangerous as hell, but have a limit. They can't do things like soloing Hami, for example, and probably can't stop a full-blown invasion on their lonesome.

But that's the thing, right? There's obviously going to be gameplay and story segregations. One of my characters is a werewolf, and I tend to play her as the 'weakest' of my list, despite her build(s) in gameplay actually being relatively speaking very strong. 

And that's where I tend to settle. Sometimes undersell, sometimes go entirely with what gameplay represents. Ultimately, that's my own personal barometer. I'm very much someone who comes from a tabletop environment, so I like to use mechanics as a grounding element to RP.

Edited by Brigadiar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later
On 4/17/2023 at 7:19 PM, Brigadiar said:

I fall into an odd slot here as I tend to acknowledge my character's own abilities within the context of gameplay as a representation of roughly what they're capable of. Say, my Crabbermind who folds GMs and AVs in half like origami cut-outs. They're dangerous as hell, but have a limit. They can't do things like soloing Hami, for example, and probably can't stop a full-blown invasion on their lonesome.

But that's the thing, right? There's obviously going to be gameplay and story segregations. One of my characters is a werewolf, and I tend to play her as the 'weakest' of my list, despite her build(s) in gameplay actually being relatively speaking very strong. 

And that's where I tend to settle. Sometimes undersell, sometimes go entirely with what gameplay represents. Ultimately, that's my own personal barometer. I'm very much someone who comes from a tabletop environment, so I like to use mechanics as a grounding element to RP.

I fluctuate.   I used to start alting and end leveling of a character when I got to a place where there abilities in-game met what I imagined the character to be- usually mid-late 20's.   Then little things pushed me past it.   I tend to like min-maxing stats, so with the creation system and set bonuses, even my mid-20 charaters became more powerful than I really wanted to imagine them at.   Then came the development of the level 50 endgame and so much story following the  incarnate system. I gave up caring and rushed the characters I could to 50 to experience THAT story even if that story didn't fit the character story at all.

Now I tend to divorce my characters' game stats from their personal story... keeping them narratively far less powered than their incarnate stats would suggest.. but every once in a while I revert and "alt roll"--   I had my maxed-out, slotted-out Tabby and a level-appropriate one and I rename them as the whim strikes me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later

Y'know....I had the sheer audacity to make as a character the devil. THE devil. However, I realize the temptation to godmod  is powerful, so every time I play him I remember in all the movies I've seen with the devil in them, he's (almost) always beaten. Thusly, my goal when RP'ing with him isn't to be all-powerful but merely.....creepy. Sinister. Perhaps downright scary but never impossible to outhink/maneuver. He's never unbeatable because I've had the extreme displeasure of running into people who play characters like that and know just how frustrating and infuriating it can be to have someone come along and completely wipe out your concepts, ideas and plots for the character you're playing at the moment. I'm not perfect, and do sometimes slip, but it's rare. I encourage anyone who runs into Shaitan during roleplay to call me out if I do.

• Thumbs Up 2