Dark/Ninjutsu Build Advice

TfStormcry

I have a archery/ninja in the high 40s, and took every power from the secondary as I wanted to test them out.  I've been playing both solo and teams (got Task Force Commander) but not going on power level farms, so I've been using the powers all along the way.

The first thing to know is, despite the similar powers, this is not a stalker.  The sword blaps are weaker and don't get buildup to boost them. Yes shinobi gives a danage boost, but it's no buildup and only lasts one attack before reverting to a minuscule bonus, while a real buildup lasts several attacks and will absolutely devastate enemies. The placate requires a hit check and can fail. The stealth will not let you walk up to enemies, unless you stack it with something (I use super speed) and really having stealth is nothing special as I already take super speed + stealth on about 80% of my characters.

The weak blap strength combined with weaker boost from shinobi is my major gripe though: you're a blaster in melee, and if you're not wrecking stuff than why are you in melee. I am good at lining up the cone for the t9 as I have played these cones before, which almost makes Golden Dragonfly worth it if you can pull it off. It just feels wholly unsatisfying compared to using blaps on my other blasters.

That said, the hold is good, the blind has a reasonable tohit debuff (for blasters), the resist debuff on the placate is useful to teams, and the recovery power is awesome (but so is on every blaster seconday now)

Basically it feels like the set was intentionally under powered to test the waters, as it's always easier to buff than nerf later.

For pool powers: an additional stealth power will let you walk right up to enemies (as mentioned before I use super speed). Combat jumping is always good for maneuvering into and out of close combat, and can be slotted with knockback protection, karma tohit buff, and luck of the gambler. If you want more close combat shenanigans you can also take spring attack as it looks very ninja-y. Some people like medicine or fighting pools, I usually rely more on inspirations but they are viable choices.

For epic, you can grab another hold to help lock down bosses, in case Abyssal Gaze or Choking Powder misses.  For example, Soul Mastery, Mu Mastery, Leviathan Mastery, and Electric look interesting here: they have an extra cone attack to use with Umbral Torrent and Tentacles for triple cones, and an extra hold for stacking up the holds.