Crowd Control or Support?

Transductor

As it has been awhile since I played City of Heroes I wanted to create a new character to get a reminder of how the game play, before I jump back to my main hero. I have been in a mood to play a magic based hero and went to make one, but I ran into an issue. I don't know what Playstyle to pick. I figure the Controller Archetype would fit the theme best, but as I am still new to the game, I don't know if there might be any difference in available abilities and quests depending on the chosen Playstyle.
I know this is probably a really silly question, and that there is probably no difference in the long run, but I still wanted to make sure before making the character and then remake it later.

Thanks in advance for the answers to this silly question.

Are you asking whether there's a difference if you select Crowd Control>Controller or Support>Controller? No, exactly the same. The Playstyle panel is purely informational.

• Thanks 1

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

There are no silly questions when they are asked in good faith! 🙂

As Uun mentioned, the Playstyle tab is 100% meaningless. It is the only tab that you can skip without the game prompting you to go back and finish during character finalization; it is just there to guide you depending what role you want to do. Click on Melee Damage and it will suggest Scrapper. Pets and it will suggest Mastermind, etc.

Controllers are pretty fun, they have a lot of tricks at their disposal. If you are torn between doing Support or Crowd Control, might I suggest Kinetics or Time as a secondary? They are both loaded with abilities that will buff you and your friends and greatly debuff the enemy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1