Adventures in Neverland - Arc ID: 55441 [Heroic] [45-54]

Ankylosaur

Based on the continued attraction of Adventures in Wonderland, I offer up the third (and last) in my little "Adventures in" series; a series where  each story has little more in common than a name and the public domain.

image.png.9ac07f0f1838e4b34610ffad27f9ad9d.png

This one is very different than the others. Much more intimate. Mostly smaller maps, with less emphasis on the fantastic nature of the creatures like Oz and Wonderland and romps through big expansive outdoor locations. Probably plays faster too. I think compared to Oz, which spanned a few books that likely fewer folk know, this will be more recognizable, but is a very different take.

And the actual book, you may not really know, but I cover that stuff in the story. 

It's also more serious. Was not planning on that, but then I read about a take on Peter Pan which made for a much more gripping and impactful premise. I have not read Liosel's Peter Pan prequel comic, but his core idea inspired. My story takes place now, 100+ years later so is not related, but it certainly is anchored by asking the same questions of why there is a Neverland and how did Peter get there.

Anyway - not for kids.

Eager for feedback as always!

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Like 1

AE Arcs: Search for @Ankylosaur    * denotes Dev's Choice

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc

• Ankylosaur changed the title to Adventures in Neverland - Arc ID: 55441 [Heroic] [45-54]

It's actually a little fitting I released this during Mental Health Awareness month. No shortage of Gerascophobia in this story - that's the serious aspect I mentioned.

This real world story I came across during my research was somewhat heartbreaking.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4283456/#:~:text=Gerascophobia is a fear of,and physiological components [2].

Edited by Ankylosaur
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Adventures in Lit:  Adventures in Wonderland - 25-54*  |  Adventures in Oz - 40-54  |  Adventures in Neverland - 45-54
  • Notable One-offs: Rularularian - 41-54*  |  The Serpent Beyond the Horizon - 46-52*   |  Robolution - 25-34*  |  The Genesis & Geneticists of The Coming Hamiggedon -  41-54*   |  Spycraft and Spidermen - 40-47  |  Return to Faultline - 40-54 
  • Post-Praetoria Series: All That Glitters: Gold Brickers & Mooks 9 Arcs  |   All That Glimmers:  First Warders & Mu - 9 Arcs  | All That Glints: The Awakened & Council - 3 Arcs  |  All That Glows: Nictus & 5th Column - 3 Arcs*   |  All That Gleams: Epilogue (Neo Tokyo) - 1 Arc

• 9 months later

So I hardly ever take the time to write Souvenir Clues. By the time I am ready for that, I am usually kind of "written-out" If I have one in there, it was usually written months later. 

But I had an idea - ChatGPT is great at summarizing things, so I copied the text from the mission file and in seconds had a summary.

This of course is 100% spoiler, but thought I would share...

Spoiler

The story "Adventures in Neverland" is a mature and complex narrative centered around the iconic world of Neverland, drawing inspiration from J.M. Barrie's classic tale but with a dark twist. In this story, the player is approached by Jen Lalenka, a descendant of Wendy Darling, who seeks help in rescuing her daughter Anna from Neverland. Unlike the traditional story, Neverland is depicted not as a place of innocent adventures but as a world filled with dangers, including pirates, mermaids with dual natures, and the psychological effects of "the forgetting" which causes inhabitants to lose memories of their real lives.

The player's journey involves several missions, each unfolding a part of the dark and intricate narrative:

1. Chapter 1: The Home Under The Ground - The player is sent to Neverland to save Anna and encounters the Lost Boys, who reveal that Peter Pan and Anna have been captured by the Piccaninny tribe. This chapter sets the stage for the complex relationships and dynamics in Neverland.

2. Chapter 2: The Island Come True - The mission focuses on rescuing Anna and Peter from the Piccaninny tribe. However, it's revealed that the real culprits are pirates disguising themselves as Piccaninnies, adding layers of deception and conflict.

3. Chapter 3: The Mermaid's Lagoon - The player seeks a pirate's map from the mermaids to locate the pirates' new hideout. This chapter explores the darker aspects of Neverland's inhabitants, reflecting Peter's troubled psyche.

4. Chapter 4: Hook or Me This Time - The climax of the rescue operation, where the player confronts Captain Hook to free Anna and Peter. This chapter delves into the violent and passionate undercurrents of Neverland, challenging the player to change the story's course.

5. Chapter 5: Peter Breaks Through? - A unique mission that ventures into Peter Pan's psyche to confront his fears and help him overcome the traumas binding him to Neverland. This chapter offers a chance to alter Peter's fate, either helping him grow up and face reality or leaving him in his eternal childhood.

Throughout the narrative, themes of abandonment, fear of growing up (gerascophobia), and the longing for family and normalcy are explored deeply. The story questions the cost of eternal childhood and the value of facing one's fears to grow and heal. It also challenges the traditional portrayal of Neverland, revealing the psychological complexities of its inhabitants and the dark realities hidden beneath its adventurous facade.