I Knew an MMO that...

Solarblaze4

Holy crap.  She's back.  This whole experience is a little surreal.  Glad to see y'all.

To get back on the topic:  "I knew an MMO of which I spent seven years forgetting more than I'll ever know about any other game."

"I knew an MMO of which I spent seven years forgetting more than I'll ever know about any other game."

I feel that! I used to have a lot of the zones memorized and knew exactly where to go for all the exploration badges without even having to look at the map. Now I'm as lost and confused as a hungry baby at a topless bar.

"I knew an MMO of which I spent seven years forgetting more than I'll ever know about any other game."

I feel that! I used to have a lot of the zones memorized and knew exactly where to go for all the exploration badges without even having to look at the map. Now I'm as lost and confused as a hungry baby at a topless bar.

Wow, that bar has crappy bouncers...

"Does he seem underage to you?"

"I think he just has a babyface, but I'm sure he's 21.  Go on in kid"

+1 for the chuckle...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I wonder if permadeath is possible...

There is. It's called delete your character after you're defeated the first time. Of course, that relies heavily on the players honesty and what not.

Its actually really fun in CoH, since leveling up is slow enough that you feel the loss, but not so slow that it gets absurd.  I played in the Iron Eagles permadeath supergroup back on live near shutdown, and my demon/forcefield mastermind's demise while attempting arrest Archon Burkholder and my energy/energy blaster's death to pumicite ambushes in hollows mission are still some of the strongest memories I've got from the original game.  Not to mention the death of one of the few fellow eagles near 50 to the weakened Hamidon on the Lady Grey task force with my FF defender Ward of Justice, or the death of two of our companions to the Circle of Thorns ambush in posi part 1 on an all Eagles task force run.  There's something about playing for stakes that ups the emotional impact in a way that you just don't get otherwise.  No matter how many times I do posi, I'll remember that particular run forever.

There is. It's called delete your character after you're defeated the first time. Of course, that relies heavily on the players honesty and what not.

Its actually really fun in CoH, since leveling up is slow enough that you feel the loss, but not so slow that it gets absurd.  I played in the Iron Eagles permadeath supergroup back on live near shutdown, and my demon/forcefield mastermind's demise while attempting arrest Archon Burkholder and my energy/energy blaster's death to pumicite ambushes in hollows mission are still some of the strongest memories I've got from the original game.  Not to mention the death of one of the few fellow eagles near 50 to the weakened Hamidon on the Lady Grey task force with my FF defender Ward of Justice, or the death of two of our companions to the Circle of Thorns ambush in posi part 1 on an all Eagles task force run.  There's something about playing for stakes that ups the emotional impact in a way that you just don't get otherwise.  No matter how many times I do posi, I'll remember that particular run forever.

If you get rezzed by an ally in the mission, do you still perma-death after?

If you get rezzed by an ally in the mission, do you still perma-death after?

We didn't allow any rez powers.  If I had written the rules for the SG, I would have personally been fine with self or ally rezzes if they were used immediately on death, since they're kind of a decent chunk of some set's survivability, and due to the long recharge timers it wouldn't remove the threat of permadeath in a really sticky situation since you'll just die again.  The SG rules didn't allow it though, and I understand why since dead = dead is really straightforward and otherwise you either trivialize it or end up having to figure out more complicated rules for rezzing.

IIRC, Etiquette was generally that if you died in an all Eagles team, you dropped and deleted or removed yourself from the SG immediately.  If you were in a pickup group, you would hospital or get rezzed, drop SG then finish the mission or task force, and delete afterwards.

I didn't delete my dead eagles, but I also never played them after death.  I removed them from the supergroup and kept them in character select as a memorial, which I believe was fairly common.

Holy crap.  She's back.  This whole experience is a little surreal.  Glad to see y'all.

To get back on the topic:  "I knew an MMO of which I spent seven years forgetting more than I'll ever know about any other game."

Welcome back, Triumphian... Triumphite... Triumpean... Triumphile... Pantsless Player.