Elec/Dark Build Advice?

Greenbone

I build for playstyle, and so far am loving this combo. A trick for everything, survivable, AOEs to take advantage of Scourge while locking groups down. Could become a new favorite, especially with two pets;

Anyone play and have build advice for this one? He is Hell Bro on Excelsior. Say hi sometime.

• Like 1

My main on live was a Dark/Electric Defender. I recreated them here as a kind of electric Tiefling with ram's horns.

This combo pairs very nicely together, even if they aren't wholly synergistic. If you're interested in the end drain debate, there's one popping in the Defender forums right now. For this pairing I view it more as a bonus to do some moderate end drain just to take advantage of the Shocked mechanic. Dark does best with a high recharge build.

Electric is a great dps set in general, utilizing some standard high dmg sets. One of the challenges is pushing the end cost of Voltaic Sentinel down. Some of the more valuable sets you want to put in a pet is Call to Arms or Expedient. The issue is that those sets are crap for end so you may have to frankenslot a bit.

Dark is also really strong. It's best to up global recharge to get out multiple Tar Patches and Howling Twilight debuff uptime - they just need recharge IO's. Shadow Fall is a sweet additional def/res armor, I usually frankenslot def/res sets. At low levels I use Darkest Night more often. At high levels things are moving fast so I like the quick -tohit application of Fearsome Stare more - with Cloud Senses set. Dark Servant can be slotted many ways, usually enhancing some -tohit. In my build I gave him some Touch of the Nictus and lockdown hold proc to make him an off healer and chance at more cc.

One thing the combo could excel at is holds. Dark Servant hold, Tesla Cage, Petrifying Gaze, possibly Electric Shackles in Mu. You'd have to proc them to get some dmg out of using them, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the advice. I ran him up to 27 last night and DID notice big END problems for me. WTF is taking so much of my END?

However, and obviously YMMV, I could pretty easily take a whole group's END, which I never thought (from the forum controversy) was going to happen.

This combo is WICKED fun to play. Definitely in my top 3!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Greenbone said:

Thanks for the advice. I ran him up to 27 last night and DID notice big END problems for me. WTF is taking so much of my END?

However, and obviously YMMV, I could pretty easily take a whole group's END, which I never thought (from the forum controversy) was going to happen.

This combo is WICKED fun to play. Definitely in my top 3!

I think some of their considerations are for harder content. In general content against most even level enemies you're going to floor lts and minions pretty quickly, with some more work on bosses. It's against AV's, +4's, HM's where it especially falls off.

The combo has lots of high endurance toggles. Voltaic Sentinel, but Shadow Fall has a hefty end cost and if you run Darkest Night. On end hungry characters I try to slot the Health and Stamina end uniques asap. Pepper end red everywhere and attacks as well. Limit usage of Darkest Night if your group is surviving well.

It's a great combo!

4 minutes ago, Greenbone said:

@Wimbochismo I'm not familiar with what "Health and Stamina end uniques" are.

There are several unique or very useful one-off enhancement's that almost everyone slots or tries to slot. The bonuses they give aren't "attached" to their set, so you can slot it as a single. You will still need to slot it as the 6th in a set to get all the set bonuses - so you can only do this once if they're "unique" and you can only have 1. Some are more useful than others or are only used in certain builds.

If you're slotting heavy endurance recovery and don't have access to other powers - you can put a few in Health and Stamina. Typically 3 slots in Health, 2 in Stamina.

Health

• Panacea +hp/end proc - This needs to be in an "always on" healing power. Has a chance to proc 7.5% end on yourself. Can only have 1.
  • Numina's +regen/rec - This is just a flat increase to regen and recovery. Only 1.
  • Miracle +rec - Flat recovery increase. Only 1.

Stamina

• Performance Shifter end proc - Chance for 10% end. Can have multiple.
  • Perf Shifter endmod - The endmod just gives some decent return on recovery from Stamina.

Slot all of these and endurance reduction in other powers. If you need cash, convert merits into Enhancement Converter/Booster's and sell on AH. Panacea will be the priciest because it is a pvp set. They're useful in almost any build so they're worth shooting for. 

Other notables

• Steadfast Protection res/def - Slot in a resist power like Tough. Gives 3% defense across the board. Only 1.
  • Gladiator's Armor def - Same, slot in resist power 3% def. Only 1.
  • Luck of the Gambler def/global rech speed - Unlike some of the other's, can slot multiple. Put in a defense power like Weave. Although you can only have the 7.5% global recharge bonus up to 5 times total across a build.
  • The list goes on.
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2023 at 8:57 AM, Wimbochismo said:

My main on live was a Dark/Electric Defender. I recreated them here as a kind of electric Tiefling with ram's horns.

This combo pairs very nicely together, even if they aren't wholly synergistic. If you're interested in the end drain debate, there's one popping in the Defender forums right now. For this pairing I view it more as a bonus to do some moderate end drain just to take advantage of the Shocked mechanic. Dark does best with a high recharge build.

Electric is a great dps set in general, utilizing some standard high dmg sets. One of the challenges is pushing the end cost of Voltaic Sentinel down. Some of the more valuable sets you want to put in a pet is Call to Arms or Expedient. The issue is that those sets are crap for end so you may have to frankenslot a bit.

Dark is also really strong. It's best to up global recharge to get out multiple Tar Patches and Howling Twilight debuff uptime - they just need recharge IO's. Shadow Fall is a sweet additional def/res armor, I usually frankenslot def/res sets. At low levels I use Darkest Night more often. At high levels things are moving fast so I like the quick -tohit application of Fearsome Stare more - with Cloud Senses set. Dark Servant can be slotted many ways, usually enhancing some -tohit. In my build I gave him some Touch of the Nictus and lockdown hold proc to make him an off healer and chance at more cc.

One thing the combo could excel at is holds. Dark Servant hold, Tesla Cage, Petrifying Gaze, possibly Electric Shackles in Mu. You'd have to proc them to get some dmg out of using them, though.

My first (and only) Defender on Live was a Dark/Elec with the concept of being a Blastroller.  It had pets with Voltaic Sentinel and Dark Servant, multiple single target holds to lock down bosses, end drain to lock out minions, and actual blasts for damage.

Unfortunately after Enhancement Diversification you couldn't end drain, your holds didn't last, your damage was pitiful, and they also changed pets so you couldn't summon multiples even with enough recharge.

I didn't get him to 50 until after IO sets were a thing and it was still a slog becauce my guy never got to do what he was meant to do =(

Edited by Ringo
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Greenbone said:

Thanks so much @Wimbochismo. So how do I calculate how much endurance recovery I am shooting for? I have plenty of cash. 🙂

Best way is just to download Mids. Too many things to track. Otherwise you're just slotting what you can and crossing your fingers when you go into Power's > Combat Attributes from the tray in-game.

In Mids turn off toggles that you can learn to turn off in combat or that you're not using. Sprint, Fly, 1 slot Tough etc. I would turn off Darkest Night because it can be situational or can be turned on/off. Leave on defensive toggles like Shadow Fall, also Voltaic. 

The number of net end/sec you're aiming for varies by a large amount based on lots of factors. It's really personal preference and playing the game while tweaking a Mids build. I go for heavy global recharge builds which drains end faster so I aim for 1.9/s net before Incarnates come into play.

We're working with Electric, though. Electric attacks return some endurance. You can probably come in around 1.7/s net and do alright?

Out of curiosity I looked up Zapp in City of Data. The end cost is 14.35 but it returns 7.92. Those are some good numbers.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ringo said:

My first (and only) Defender on Live was a Dark/Elec with the concept of being a Blastroller.  It had pets with Voltaic Sentinel and Dark Servant, multiple single target holds to lock down bosses, end drain to lock out minions, and actual blasts for damage.

Unfortunately after Enhancement Diversification you couldn't end drain, your holds didn't last, your damage was pitiful, and they also changed pets so you couldn't summon multiples even with enough recharge.

I didn't get him to 50 until after IO sets were a thing and it was still a slog becauce my guy never got to do what he was meant to do =(

I started when the game first released. Back when I made a Kin just to have an early "travel power" and Hover moved slower than a walk.

I picked the combo for similar reason's. Pets and also a way to return some end because of the horrible endurance deficit in earlier stages of the game.

Sadly I left around 6 months after City of Villains dropped due to a crappy internet connection and other games. When I recently came back I found out how engaging, rewarding, and downright complicated building is in this game. Now I get to do everything I want to do and more!

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Greenbone said:

@Wimbochismo I use Mid's. Curious, on something like Miracle, it can be slotted in Twilight Grasp and Health. Does it require a power that activates (TG) to trigger a proc, or will putting it in Health that is constantly running trigger it more regularly?

You want to put it in something that's constantly running or has a heal over time effect. Pretty sure the Miracle +rec only works in persistent powers, or powers that heal over time. It isn't a proc like Panacea or Perf Shift, it's a persistent effect. Soothing Aura from Pain Domination comes to mind, it is an aoe persistent heal. Slotting it in this power will give the +rec bonus to anyone standing in it.

Twilight Grasp requires a to-hit check, so needs accuracy. The Accurate Healing sets may work out better unless you have high global accuracy. It also doesn't do a heal over time so you don't get the benefit here.

Edited by Wimbochismo