Some Characters are gone after renaming them successfully

spyhunt3d

I've had three characters disappear from Character Selection Screen after renaming 1 of them.

Two level 50s and 1 level 12. It ends up looking like this when the screen loads again:

image.thumb.png.83cda52d9604a4de8d1dd01789f3a5a7.png

blank spaces where they were previously.

Edited by spyhunt3d

• Retired Game Master

If you're okay with navigating your file system, in the C:\Games\Homecoming\Accounts folder, open your login name, then rename PlayerSlot.txt to something else.

If the names come back, the file got corrupted, and now you can rearrange them how you like.  The client will make a new one with the changes.  (You can delete the renamed original file at that point, or just leave it.)

If they don't, something else may be wrong.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 3 months later

I have a similar problem with stacked characters in charselection.

tried deleting txt file,but it does not create a new playerslot.txt.

anything ales i can try?

• Retired Game Master
Posted (edited)

First, make sure you're logged out of the game and the client is closed.  This is one of the files that writes on exit, so any changes made while the game is running will be wiped (including deleting the file).  If you're logged out, delete the file and it still happens, you can try editing it. (Again, log out and close the client first.)

The file has a simple format once it is written:

"AUTHNAME" "SERVER" "CHARACTER NAME" "POSITION#"

For demonstration purposes, let's pretend my AuthName (username on login) is McPigeon, and I play on Indom.

It's sensitive, so I wouldn't mess with the lines too much, but if "POSITION#" is duplicated, setting them to a higher number may clear it up.

"McPigeon" "Indomitable" "Pigeon Man" "0"

"McPigeon" "Indomitable" "Mr. Coo-Per" "0"

"McPigeon" "Indomitable" "Bullet with Pigeon Wings" "0"

"McPigeon" "Indomitable" "Street Sweeper Bird" "0"

In this example, only one of the four characters will appear, the rest will "stack" under that toon.  So, editing the numbers like this:

"McPigeon" "Indomitable" "Pigeon Man" "3"

"McPigeon" "Indomitable" "Mr. Coo-Per" "1"

"McPigeon" "Indomitable" "Bullet with Pigeon Wings" "2"

"McPigeon" "Indomitable" "Street Sweeper Bird" "0"

...will make them appear in Slots 1-4.  This is an example, obviously yours won't line up and if you have altitis, way more than 4 characters.

If the extra zeros are given numbers in sequence, they'll appear in that slot on the screen.  (The game starts counting at 0, so that's Slot 1.)  Make sure the number at the end is unique to each character.  Keep in mind, regardless of monitor size/resolution, only 10 slots are visible on the screen at once, so position #0-9 is Slots 1-10, position #10-19 is Slots 11-20, etc.  Finally, every server has their own list of positions.  (Having two "0"s isn't bad if one's on Indom and the other's on Excelsior.)

Once you can see all of your characters, try rearranging them in the client and exiting to see if they stick.

Edited by GM Tock
  • Thanks 1

• Retired Game Master

That tells me there's a permissions issue with the location the game is saved at.  For some reason, your client can't write to the folder/file for that location.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't worry about it.

I moved the folder to another hard disk and it didn't change anything. i also tried to change the permissions with the same result..so no stress, i can deal with that.

• Game Master

Also make sure you are using the launcher not Tequila as the file saving system has been changed, and make sure you have the "remember me" ticked as it won't save if it's off

• 1 month later