Dark/bio suggestions

Cpt. Caveat

So I played CoH when it first came out and stopped sometime around when they first added bases. Needless to say there were no sentinels but there are new power sets and mechanics that are all new to me, bio armor being one of them. 

I saw the sentinel’s dark power set gets a new aoe and while thematically I wanted to go dark/dark I just don’t like the dark defenses and Bio look amazing. 

The actual question:  For a dark/bio sentinel what do I really want out of bio set as the powers I take will be influenced by if I’m mainly running the Offense/defense/conservation 

I don’t really know how good armor will be on this new class but I’m assuming lower% or similar to a a scrapper. 

and any thoughts about dark? I know it felt very single target before not sure if one new aoe power will change that. 

Edited by Cpt. Caveat

Dark is a good Sentinel primary specifically because of having Dark Obliteration baseline. It'll help your AOE a bit. Still won't be as much AOE as something like Assault Rifle, but it helps. If that's not enough, you could try picking up one of the PBAOE attacks from an epic pool (like Engulfing Darkness from Dark Mastery). 

Bio Armor is very good too. Sents have slightly lower base modifiers than Scrappers and Stalkers do, but Bio is strong enough of an armor set to just chug right through that limitation. It can be pretty tanky with all of the absorbs and regen up, and Dark's to-hit debuffs will augment it further. For power picks you really should grab the full set of 9 in Bio. Maybe you could skip Athletic Regulation, but even that one is still useful for a bit of DDR and mobility. The other 8 powers are mandatory for sure. 

Edited by FupDup

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

I ran a dark/sr scrapper as my main back in the day and I remember SR being one that really wanted all 9 and bio looked like it was going to be in that boat. I’m sure SR sentinel has better defense than bio but I wanted something new. 

I know Bio (and any resistance or regen defense) is better the larger your HP pool and therefore any resistance will most likely struggle more than defense on a sentinel. 

I plan to try to hover blast a good bit but I also plan to solo almost exclusively so is Tough and weave recommend?

I guess the idea is to not be in melee range so I’m trying to plan on what will keep me safe if I get knocked out of the air and have to fight face to face (or face to ankle my toons pretty short)

*edit one other question. 
For bio on a sentinel is most of the time spent in offensive for a little extra kick to damage or defensive so the regen and HP are boosted enough for it to be sustainable 

Edited by Cpt. Caveat

Bio has lower defense and DDR than SR, but it offers better resists, HP, regeneration, click heals, and absorb than SR, especially if Defensive Adaptation is active. So basically it can be more durable overall vs SR despite the lower def values. 

Tough and Weave are strongly recommended for almost all Sentinels, and almost every AT in general really. 

As for close quarters, I don't think it's that going to be that big of a worry most of the time given the combo you've chosen. You'll be pretty durable. Parasitic Leech is almost a godmode button if it hits 5 targets.

If you're really worried about it still, you could try to grab one of the epic pool immobilize powers or Tashibishi from Ninja Tool Mastery (makes enemies want to run out of the area). With enough investment you could also pick up a hold power like Netherworld Grasp, Dominate, etc., which you could combine with Abysmal Gaze from Dark Blast to lock down higher ranked enemies. 

Edited by FupDup

Closed Beta Discord Invite: https://discord.gg/DptUBzh

Wonder, thanks for the advice. I’m looking forward to seeing how this toon lvls up, but at least it sounds like a viable power set pairing so that makes me happy.  I spent way to long making a little purple and black themed puff ball of dark energy I named “Dusk Bunny”

Edited by Cpt. Caveat