Elec/Rad farming build, can't figure out what's wrong

R jobbus

Hey guys, I made this elec/rad tanker build for farming and it really doesn't hold up well, just wondering what I am doing wrong. I have the incarnates and stuff unlocked but it doesn't survive any of the maps I have tried, which have been quite a few. am I missing something out of this build? I genuinely don't know what Im doing wrong and Im even more confused since my willpower scrapper seems to hold up better than this build. Any tips are greatly appreciated, Im new to tanker. thank you

Elec-Rad 105 AFK Tanker.mxd

Posted (edited)

Looks like >90% S/L/E Resistance and >45% Melee Defence and reasonable regen?

image.png.5c8e7c9db7cf4500d3df987adf1767c4.png

I don't see any glaring holes other than no DDR (which isn't surprising since you're /Elec) and that won't be a problem if you're fighting foes which don't have defense debuffs.

Are the actual stats that you're seeing in-game the same as the ones here in Mids?
Also are you definitely fighting foes that only have Melee attacks that deal E/L/S damage and don't have defence debuffs? (a lot of "Lethal" damage powers inflict -Defense...)

Anyways here's a slight revision with substantially higher passive Regen/Recovery and an extra Power Transfer Proc. The additional recovery should be enough to let you put Atom Smasher on Auto. If you keep having trouble, divert a few extra slots into Energize and put THAT on auto instead. Slightly lower S/L Defense but still Melee softcapped.

Elec-Rad 105 AFK Tanker v2.mbd

image.png.f7bc73433bbdc9d79f2fd44561ee2f91.png

Edited by Maelwys

On 5/29/2024 at 11:25 AM, R jobbus said:

Hey guys, I made this elec/rad tanker build for farming and it really doesn't hold up well, just wondering what I am doing wrong. I have the incarnates and stuff unlocked but it doesn't survive any of the maps I have tried, which have been quite a few. am I missing something out of this build? I genuinely don't know what Im doing wrong and Im even more confused since my willpower scrapper seems to hold up better than this build. Any tips are greatly appreciated, Im new to tanker. thank you

Elec-Rad 105 AFK Tanker.mxd 5.13 kB · 9 downloads

1. The map is everything first and foremost. People often build their builds around the maps they use.  What specific farming maps are you using? As silly as it is to say, if you for example were using fire farm maps on that, it'd obviously not work.  But more nuanced, if you were using this build on an --active-- s/l farm and you were attempting to play this build as an active farm play, then you'd find yourself having a challenge as that build is of course specifically afk farming only. Also obviously if you were using an active farm mission/map but attempting to play afk farming on it, (that's less likely though there are some meteor maps meant to be active farming...) you'd also incur similar problems.

Also some older afk farm maps may be obsolete due to changes from years ago that affected farming(though more so fire farming unfortunately) 

so make sure you're again using a more commonly and currently used AFk farm mission.

2. Drop super jump and acrobatics.  Neither are needed and you could make other choices to improve the passive needs of an AFK build.

3. There is a build in America's Angel's thread for ele/rad tank s/l farming.  Its rather different from your build and you may gleen some insights into how to improve your build as well.  

21 hours ago, Maelwys said:

Looks like >90% S/L/E Resistance and >45% Melee Defence and reasonable regen?

image.png.5c8e7c9db7cf4500d3df987adf1767c4.png

I don't see any glaring holes other than no DDR (which isn't surprising since you're /Elec) and that won't be a problem if you're fighting foes which don't have defense debuffs.

Are the actual stats that you're seeing in-game the same as the ones here in Mids?
Also are you definitely fighting foes that only have Melee attacks that deal E/L/S damage and don't have defence debuffs? (a lot of "Lethal" damage powers inflict -Defense...)

Anyways here's a slight revision with substantially higher passive Regen/Recovery and an extra Power Transfer Proc. The additional recovery should be enough to let you put Atom Smasher on Auto. If you keep having trouble, divert a few extra slots into Energize and put THAT on auto instead. Slightly lower S/L Defense but still Melee softcapped.

Elec-Rad 105 AFK Tanker v2.mbd

image.png.f7bc73433bbdc9d79f2fd44561ee2f91.png

If they're playing this as an afk farmer and switch to making energize auto instead of atomsmasher, well, that's going to be an unproductive farm to be sure 😛

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Sanguinesun said:

If they're playing this as an afk farmer and switch to making energize auto instead of atomsmasher, well, that's going to be an unproductive farm to be sure 😛

Much less productive than sticking an AoE damage power on auto, granted. But still a smidge more productive than attempting to farm whilst dead 😸
(I mean, the twin damage toggles will probably kill everything before the weekly maintenance...)

More seriously they should be completely fine fighting a few mapfuls of S/E enemies, particularly "Elec Melee", so I very much suspect that the main problem isn't with the build itself.

36 minutes ago, Sanguinesun said:

1. The map is everything first and foremost. People often build their builds around the maps they use.  What specific farming maps are you using? As silly as it is to say, if you for example were using fire farm maps on that, it'd obviously not work.  But more nuanced, if you were using this build on an --active-- s/l farm and you were attempting to play this build as an active farm play, then you'd find yourself having a challenge as that build is of course specifically afk farming only. Also obviously if you were using an active farm mission/map but attempting to play afk farming on it, (that's less likely though there are some meteor maps meant to be active farming...) you'd also incur similar problems.

Also some older afk farm maps may be obsolete due to changes from years ago that affected farming(though more so fire farming unfortunately) 

so make sure you're again using a more commonly and currently used AFk farm mission.

2. Drop super jump and acrobatics.  Neither are needed and you could make other choices to improve the passive needs of an AFK build.

3. There is a build in America's Angel's thread for ele/rad tank s/l farming.  Its rather different from your build and you may gleen some insights into how to improve your build as well.  

Haha. thanks so much for your response. I may use AA's thread to improve this build, But I did figure out a way to farm with it that's pretty reasonable.

So first things first, I am quite new to even having a farm build, so part of what made this build get obliterated instantly was accidentally clicking the afk fire farm maps. That obviously wouldn't work, lol.

Even going into the S/L afk asteroid map was still rough but the solution I came up with for pretty good mostly afk farming is, just pop T4 barrier with another tanky scrapper character, one that I was going to bring in anyways and auto claws aoe around the tank. I have no idea why but this elec rad tank build sustains itself without ever clicking t4 ageless at all. I don't understand why and that is contrary to everything that anybody ever said about using this in the thread I got it from. So basically, I just have another character that im controlling come in and pop t4 barrier at the beginning to cover the initial mega aggro, then it's fine, while both characters pop assault and my tank uses ageless anyways for recharge. Or for solo farming I just give him t4 barrier.

I dont know why it works that way but it seems to be fine.

I might change parts about the build eventually but it seems to do ok. One question, does degenerative interface incarnate work for Atom Smasher? I gave it the 75% toxic chance t3 and it seems to be killing faster ... but it could be just me imagining things. 

But to sum it up it seems pretty ok now. Like you said, the map really matters alot here. I'm brand new to actually having my own farm character, so I appreciate the help.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, R jobbus said:

Haha. thanks so much for your response. I may use AA's thread to improve this build, But I did figure out a way to farm with it that's pretty reasonable.

So first things first, I am quite new to even having a farm build, so part of what made this build get obliterated instantly was accidentally clicking the afk fire farm maps. That obviously wouldn't work, lol.

Even going into the S/L afk asteroid map was still rough but the solution I came up with for pretty good mostly afk farming is, just pop T4 barrier with another tanky scrapper character, one that I was going to bring in anyways and auto claws aoe around the tank. I have no idea why but this elec rad tank build sustains itself without ever clicking t4 ageless at all. I don't understand why and that is contrary to everything that anybody ever said about using this in the thread I got it from. So basically, I just have another character that im controlling come in and pop t4 barrier at the beginning to cover the initial mega aggro, then it's fine, while both characters pop assault and my tank uses ageless anyways for recharge. Or for solo farming I just give him t4 barrier.

I dont know why it works that way but it seems to be fine.

I might change parts about the build eventually but it seems to do ok. One question, does degenerative interface incarnate work for Atom Smasher? I gave it the 75% toxic chance t3 and it seems to be killing faster ... but it could be just me imagining things. 

But to sum it up it seems pretty ok now. Like you said, the map really matters alot here. I'm brand new to actually having my own farm character, so I appreciate the help.

Yes any of the interface ones that add damage will work with any damaging attack like atom smasher.

Also, if you're clicking while using this build, you're playing it like an active farm.   If you want to play it as an active farm build, you may wish to consider other options as with active, its about applying much more aoe damage power options along with as reasonably fast as possible recharge and of course your resistance cap'd and decent defense(more focus on positional melee and range if can be helped and this secondarily that of s/l def damage type.  And also too the attack chain you'd need to employ for both aoe and single target cleanup needs. That's why other power set combos for active are are favored and more suggested than yours for consideration.

Again your build is an AFK build.  And again you need to be mindful of those specific maps you employ for it and -how- its employed.

That's not to say you're not capable of farming, you certainly are, its just in a min/max influence per hour consideration that you're less efficient potnetially using a mismatched build of course.  Its basically an AFK farm build/combination(and you even list it as such in the build mids name) so its literally throw in, set up the auto/initial boosts and  go -afk- and forget then come back to reset the mission.  Its meant to be a low influence producer because while its AFK, you do other things, up to and including running an active farmer build on another account. 

If you hop around trying to run it like an active build then it becomes troubled due to the build not meant to impart damage outside of its AOE toggles and auto set atom smasher.  Best I can give an analogy on it is that you can use a wrench to hammer in a nail but its better that a hammer does and the wrench sticking to its normal tool functions 😛 

So because you're very new to farming, you really need to take some time and both read the entirety of AA's thread on s/l farming as well as the 22 pages of posts to help you understand running farms and builds to help you match things up.  Thread also has recommended mission ID's too.  If you struggle after that, its likely because you're either playing an afk as an active on the wrong map, or you're fundamentally not doingsomething else that matches the information you've provided on the build or the actions taken in the mission etc etc etc.:

Edited by Sanguinesun

Also I just read your post this past week or so from that thread:

On 5/26/2024 at 11:12 PM, R jobbus said:

Hey, how necessary are the end and HP accolades for the afk farming build? I have everything I need for it but getting all of those accolades on a fresh tanker seems like it'd take a while, if i have t4 ageless and t3 musculature and assault is that enough? The survival amplifier seems a bit expensive to be worth buying it at 2.5mil per hour. also, thank you for putting this guide together.

Edit: I am trying out the slightly modified elec/rad afk build on tanker and I think I am doing something wrong .. I just die immediately, even though Ive completed the build, and gotten t4 musculature, t4 ageless and t3 assault. any suggestions? i dont have the hp accolades but i got the survival amplifier and i still just die like within 10 or so seconds in the afk 5 minute farm. Im not sure what i'm doing wrong. build im using is attached to the post.

Elec-Rad 105 AFK Tanker.mxd 5.13 kB · 8 downloads

Not having your accolades nor having your incarnates fully and properly set up means that typically you have to reduce the difficulty or even the mob numbers or both until your build is fully finished too.  This may be a contributing factor in addition to all mentioned above and this information was omitted really in your thread here and hence why I linked your post from there here. 

Also as AA points out with her suggestions, that using amplifiers is recommended however you can skip those but you're just less time effective at clear (and again with the variables you need to adjust that I just mentioned).   On my farmers, I dont use the amplifiers and while my farmers (and I also dont use my farmers much anymore as I've developed other methods and a different play mindset) and they're just only a smidge less exp per hour.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sanguinesun said:

Yes any of the interface ones that add damage will work with any damaging attack like atom smasher.

Also, if you're clicking while using this build, you're playing it like an active farm.   If you want to play it as an active farm build, you may wish to consider other options as with active, its about applying much more aoe damage power options along with as reasonably fast as possible recharge and of course your resistance cap'd and decent defense(more focus on positional melee and range if can be helped and this secondarily that of s/l def damage type.  And also too the attack chain you'd need to employ for both aoe and single target cleanup needs. That's why other power set combos for active are are favored and more suggested than yours for consideration.

Again your build is an AFK build.  And again you need to be mindful of those specific maps you employ for it and -how- its employed.

That's not to say you're not capable of farming, you certainly are, its just in a min/max influence per hour consideration that you're less efficient potnetially using a mismatched build of course.  Its basically an AFK farm build/combination(and you even list it as such in the build mids name) so its literally throw in, set up the auto/initial boosts and  go -afk- and forget then come back to reset the mission.  Its meant to be a low influence producer because while its AFK, you do other things, up to and including running an active farmer build on another account. 

If you hop around trying to run it like an active build then it becomes troubled due to the build not meant to impart damage outside of its AOE toggles and auto set atom smasher.  Best I can give an analogy on it is that you can use a wrench to hammer in a nail but its better that a hammer does and the wrench sticking to its normal tool functions 😛 

So because you're very new to farming, you really need to take some time and both read the entirety of AA's thread on s/l farming as well as the 22 pages of posts to help you understand running farms and builds to help you match things up.  Thread also has recommended mission ID's too.  If you struggle after that, its likely because you're either playing an afk as an active on the wrong map, or you're fundamentally not doingsomething else that matches the information you've provided on the build or the actions taken in the mission etc etc etc.:

Yea, except I did all that.

I paid close attention to this thread, and it was originally the one that I got this elec/rad build from in the first place. Infact, the build I'm using was apparently a modified version of a build that was posted originally in this thread, however, i don't see it in the original post now, because AA's elec/rad build is a brute. And it's not explained how brutes/tankers differ between each other for these builds. It's also not explained how I'm not needing to use ageless T4, even though the guy who modified the original build which I don't see anymore said that it relies heavily on it.

I actually asked someone else who was knowledgable about farming and they said essentially most people only use stone/rad for afk farming now due to aggro changes from a while ago, or something to that effect, and that elec/rad can still be a good active farmer.

So to me, being new, I just kinda figured it's difficult to get up to date information at this point. Which is fine, people have things to do and this is a very old game. I think AA suggested a few stone/rad builds within the thread, but again, I'm pretty sure these were brutes, or the one I downloaded was.

But I think it's reasonable to use what I've got, because I'm playing it like an afk build. I set up stuff at the beginning, attacks are on auto, then I go do something else.

And if there *is* better information on this, I'd love to hear it. but all Ive done is read through that thread and try to do the stuff that it says and this is where I end up. Which again, is perfectly fine. Also, many people were suggesting to me before reading this thread, just in game advice, to make a elec/rad tanker so I can just do something else with my other characters.

So you can see, me being new, after all this, it's (quite) contradictory. Which again, is fine. people have different methods and they dont have any obligation to help anyone out and spend their time doing that.

But for what i'm using, im just doing what seems to work and make a pretty ridiculous amount of inf for very little effort.

If anyone *has* an active farm build for elec/rad tanker that they'd like to post I'd be glad to hear it. I've read through that original farming guide alot and i'm not entirely sure what posts are up to date or not at this point.

Edited by R jobbus

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, R jobbus said:

Yea, except I did all that.

I paid close attention to this thread, and it was originally the one that I got this elec/rad build from in the first place. Infact, the build I'm using was apparently a modified version of a build that was posted originally in this thread, however, i don't see it in the original post now, because AA's elec/rad build is a brute. And it's not explained how brutes/tankers differ between each other for these builds. It's also not explained how I'm not needing to use ageless T4, even though the guy who modified the original build which I don't see anymore said that it relies heavily on it.

I actually asked someone else who was knowledgable about farming and they said essentially most people only use stone/rad for afk farming now due to aggro changes from a while ago, or something to that effect, and that elec/rad can still be a good active farmer.

So to me, being new, I just kinda figured it's difficult to get up to date information at this point. Which is fine, people have things to do and this is a very old game. I think AA suggested a few stone/rad builds within the thread, but again, I'm pretty sure these were brutes, or the one I downloaded was.

But I think it's reasonable to use what I've got, because I'm playing it like an afk build. I set up stuff at the beginning, attacks are on auto, then I go do something else.

And if there *is* better information on this, I'd love to hear it. but all Ive done is read through that thread and try to do the stuff that it says and this is where I end up. Which again, is perfectly fine. Also, many people were suggesting to me before reading this thread, just in game advice, to make a elec/rad tanker so I can just do something else with my other characters.

So you can see, me being new, after all this, it's (quite) contradictory. Which again, is fine. people have different methods and they dont have any obligation to help anyone out and spend their time doing that.

But for what i'm using, im just doing what seems to work and make a pretty ridiculous amount of inf for very little effort.

If anyone *has* an active farm build for elec/rad that they'd like to post I'd be glad to hear it. I've read through that original farming guide alot and i'm not entirely sure what posts are up to date or not at this point.

So since sunday you earned all the accolades you didnt have and got all your incarnates max'd out. Grats! That can be a bit of a grind of course.

You said you read the thread but felt unsure as to what information was current.

If you read on the next to last page (page 10 currently of that thread), you'll see that AA reconfirms this past early spring that the information she last updated in Feb '23 remains accurate according to her.

That includes a build for your set and AFK missions...

As I mentioned before, your build is different from her recommended, top AFK earning build which is an Ele/Rad tank.  She also lists the missions. Again nothing wrong with using something different if you're capable of earning as you say decent amounts of influence.  Ukase just posted his spines  fire afk brute farmer too. Id argue even that statistically you still see more fire farmers per capita than the s/l ones if what you see daily in the AE areas is of any indication.  There are people that use AFK stone/ with a few options too(because of the toggles with extra benefits) with staff, MA, Rad etc too of course over the years which can also be viable but again influence earned per hour varies. but not significantly in so much as that people would be discouraged from using them.

Edited by Sanguinesun

3 minutes ago, Sanguinesun said:

So since sunday you earned all the accolades you didnt have and got all your incarnates max'd out. Grats! That can be a bit of a grind of course.

You said you read the thread but felt unsure as to what information was current.

If you read on the next to last page (page 10 currently of that thread), you'll see that AA reconfirms this past early spring that the information she last updated in Feb '23 remains accurate according to her.

That includes a build for your set and AFK missions...

As I mentioned before, your build is different from her recommended, top AFK earning build which is an Ele/Rad tank.  She also lists the missions. Again nothing wrong with using something different if you're capable of earning as you say decent amounts of influence.  Ukase just posted his spines  fire afk brute farmer too. Id argue even that statistically you still see more fire farmers per capita than the s/l ones if what you see daily in the AE areas is of any indication.  There are people that use AFK stone/ with a few options too(because of the toggles with extra benefits) with staff, MA, Rad etc too of course over the years which can also be viable but again influence earned per hour varies. but not significantly in so much as that people would be discouraged from using them.

Well I guess my question would be at this point, how do I improve this build for afk farming. And I guess the point that I was trying to make was, it's difficult to figure that out because the original build is a brute.

should I just raise a brute instead if that was my intent, was to follow the thread. I mean, what im doing seems to work fine now, but for the sake of trying to do what people suggest, what actually is the difference between brutes/tankers as far as this goes, and what build am I supposed to follow if i'm not going to just make a brand new brute. 

The only reason I raised a tanker is because many people in game said that was the way to go for afk farming, but again, I'm not really clear on how brutes/tankers differ for farming.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, R jobbus said:

Well I guess my question would be at this point, how do I improve this build for afk farming. And I guess the point that I was trying to make was, it's difficult to figure that out because the original build is a brute.

should I just raise a brute instead if that was my intent, was to follow the thread. I mean, what im doing seems to work fine now, but for the sake of trying to do what people suggest, what actually is the difference between brutes/tankers as far as this goes, and what build am I supposed to follow if i'm not going to just make a brand new brute. 

The only reason I raised a tanker is because many people in game said that was the way to go for afk farming, but again, I'm not really clear on how brutes/tankers differ for farming.

If your original toon is a brute, but you posted a mids version of a tank and you were having trouble with afk running actually in game as a brute, but came to the tank forum for help....do you not see how that lack of information being moved around skews trying to offer you advice.   If you're saying something different though please clarify.  AA's builds suggested are specifically for tanks as brutes in her and others testing are not as efficient for influence per hour as a tank.

As for differences between brutes and tanks, there are several that all relate to play of them and farming as well.  Most of this you can read in the descriptions of mids for some(like tank vs brute main inherents ) and as well as in game when making the toon and other sources but I'll try to give you a simple run down here:

Brutes:

1. Fury is their inherent which allows them to scale more damage they can deal as they do and receive damage from sources.  This in essence means they do a tad bit damage per damage they deal over that of Tanks (but there is a caveat I'll mention later).

2. They're capped at a max(depending on the powers) of holding aggro and dealing damage to a max of 10 mobs. 

3. They can cap to 90% on resistances but take more % values to do so than that of tanks(ie you have to slot more/higher %'s to achieve the same capping.

Tanks: 

1.  Gauntlet is their inherent and allows them to get higher aggro values for their attacks than that of a brute. They can also hold more aggro(up to 16 mobs).

2. Some tank melee sets AOE powers can hit up to 16 targets.  To give you a contrasting example, Atom Smasher on a brute can only hit up to 10 targets and doing damage to them.  On a tank they can hit 16 with Atom Smasher.  So the trick is that while a brute may hit 10 and do a bit more damage per target with Atom Smasher, a Tank is going to hit a total potentially of 16 and thus statistically be doing over all do more damage. In farming terms, this arguably can be potentially faster clearing depending on the power sets chosen.

3.  Tanks base values for defense and resistance scale better so that you do not have to slot as many enhancers etc to achieve resitance caps etc.  This means when using a tank you can then also try focus on damage more or flesh out resistance/defense more depending on the priorities.

So the differences are that both can tank and do damage but the differences between them really depend on how you build them and with some combos not necesarily being as optimal on one as the other, especially if you try to take say a tank 1 for one copy paste build and port it to a brute as the brute will have likely less capabilities on some points potentially.

There's some other points of difference(like Brutes can use the Energy Aura power set and tanks cant etc) but hopefully this helps start to have you see the differences.

So when it comes to farming, you're gonna usually hit more mobs with a tank and even if its slightly less damage than a brute build, you're likely going to clear mobs faster due to the higher volume of mobs getting hit.  But again, it really depends.  On an afk build of a brute, you're basically hitting 10 mobs each with your 2 toggle auras(elec and irradiation)  and then your auto set atom smasher.  Tank version would be hitting 6 more mobs.  Tank will also hold up to 16 mobs aggro letting them typically come in melee range then and usually builds have better melee than ranged positional defense of course.

So overall the brute can still do ok but its gonna likely get hit more at range and (again depending on the build) likely take longer to clear groups.   

What you want is a clear cookie cutter answer to your issue seemingly though..... to which then I say follow exactly the build and directions AA speaks to in their guide.  But truly there is no cookie cutter answer to be given for you if what they posted isnt something you want to go with.  Instead, you're likely going to then just be testing and experimenting until you find something that works with your play style and choices.

To that end, you may not be aware of it but you can go to the beta server from the launcher and then create a toon and once you're on the map, you can use the tools there they give you to not only instant 50 the toon but you can also give it any and all enhancements and boosts etc you wish for free.  Takes maybe 40min to an hour for some to set up as they wish from a theory crafted mids build or some other plan someone makes but then you can head over to the AE, load a farm mission and see how it fairs.

Edited by Sanguinesun

1 hour ago, Sanguinesun said:

If your original toon is a brute, but you posted a mids version of a tank and you were having trouble with afk running actually in game as a brute, but came to the tank forum for help....do you not see how that lack of information being moved around skews trying to offer you advice.   If you're saying something different though please clarify.  AA's builds suggested are specifically for tanks as brutes in her and others testing are not as efficient for influence per hour as a tank.

As for differences between brutes and tanks, there are several that all relate to play of them and farming as well.  Most of this you can read in the descriptions of mids for some(like tank vs brute main inherents ) and as well as in game when making the toon and other sources but I'll try to give you a simple run down here:

Brutes:

1. Fury is their inherent which allows them to scale more damage they can deal as they do and receive damage from sources.  This in essence means they do a tad bit damage per damage they deal over that of Tanks (but there is a caveat I'll mention later).

2. They're capped at a max(depending on the powers) of holding aggro and dealing damage to a max of 10 mobs. 

3. They can cap to 90% on resistances but take more % values to do so than that of tanks(ie you have to slot more/higher %'s to achieve the same capping.

Tanks: 

1.  Gauntlet is their inherent and allows them to get higher aggro values for their attacks than that of a brute. They can also hold more aggro(up to 16 mobs).

2. Some tank melee sets AOE powers can hit up to 16 targets.  To give you a contrasting example, Atom Smasher on a brute can only hit up to 10 targets and doing damage to them.  On a tank they can hit 16 with Atom Smasher.  So the trick is that while a brute may hit 10 and do a bit more damage per target with Atom Smasher, a Tank is going to hit a total potentially of 16 and thus statistically be doing over all do more damage. In farming terms, this arguably can be potentially faster clearing depending on the power sets chosen.

3.  Tanks base values for defense and resistance scale better so that you do not have to slot as many enhancers etc to achieve resitance caps etc.  This means when using a tank you can then also try focus on damage more or flesh out resistance/defense more depending on the priorities.

So the differences are that both can tank and do damage but the differences between them really depend on how you build them and with some combos not necesarily being as optimal on one as the other, especially if you try to take say a tank 1 for one copy paste build and port it to a brute as the brute will have likely less capabilities on some points potentially.

There's some other points of difference(like Brutes can use the Energy Aura power set and tanks cant etc) but hopefully this helps start to have you see the differences.

So when it comes to farming, you're gonna usually hit more mobs with a tank and even if its slightly less damage than a brute build, you're likely going to clear mobs faster due to the higher volume of mobs getting hit.  But again, it really depends.  On an afk build of a brute, you're basically hitting 10 mobs each with your 2 toggle auras(elec and irradiation)  and then your auto set atom smasher.  Tank version would be hitting 6 more mobs.  Tank will also hold up to 16 mobs aggro letting them typically come in melee range then and usually builds have better melee than ranged positional defense of course.

So overall the brute can still do ok but its gonna likely get hit more at range and (again depending on the build) likely take longer to clear groups.   

What you want is a clear cookie cutter answer to your issue seemingly though..... to which then I say follow exactly the build and directions AA speaks to in their guide.  But truly there is no cookie cutter answer to be given for you if what they posted isnt something you want to go with.  Instead, you're likely going to then just be testing and experimenting until you find something that works with your play style and choices.

To that end, you may not be aware of it but you can go to the beta server from the launcher and then create a toon and once you're on the map, you can use the tools there they give you to not only instant 50 the toon but you can also give it any and all enhancements and boosts etc you wish for free.  Takes maybe 40min to an hour for some to set up as they wish from a theory crafted mids build or some other plan someone makes but then you can head over to the AE, load a farm mission and see how it fairs.

No, I've never made a brute for farming. I ended up finding that tanker build in that thread, which I made. and again it seems to do pretty ok.

Yea, I appreciate the info. I think I'm just gonna use what seems to work. The information about the beta server is interesting i might give that a try.

• 2 months later

I did this build on a brute that farms just fine. Also I use a elec/DM tanker to farm too. SO elec armor does it well just got to slot and practice the powersets.

Here are my stats for tanker and how I slot out my brute with your same powersets.

elecDm.png

radelec1.png

radelec2.png

Edited by Syant