The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Arsenal Control vs +3x8 Penny Yin TF

Frosticus

Posted (edited)

+2x8 Penny Yin TF

No insp/amps/temps/click accolades
No deaths

Pretty easy +2x8 clear of this tf.

It only got sketchy at one point where a whole bunch of bosses started to squeeze through my choke point and I stood there waiting to see what would happen. If I'd fallen back to the next choke point sooner it would be super easy.

Why is this TF important?
Penny Yin is the perfect level range to showcase the strength of your primary and secondary choices because you have access to all t9 powers, but it locks out epics and incarnates, both of which can pretty dramatically alter the outcome. Her radiation attacks remove all "luck" from the fight because you won't dodge her.

What’s going on here because I heard arsenal control is really bad?
As with many things, people have a personal bias that they develop. Some let that cloud their opinions that they feel compelled to share for whatever reason.

In reality Arsenal is having an easier time with this content than my Earth dom and that earth/psi sits at the pinnacle of S tier control. 

Arsenal control is better than Earth is a lot of situations and worse in some too

For reference here is the vid of my earth/psi running this at +1x8 (I consistently failed at +2x8), whereas this was actually pretty “easy” at +2x8 for arsenal. 

Spoiler

*fwiw I think a better earth/psi build could succeed at +2x8, but I just take my lvl 50 build in.

Ok, but you built for this encounter!
Nah, this is a lvl 50+ content build, it just exemplars well. If I’d built for this TF I’d have x-ray eyes and electron haze to make it way, way easier. 

Video is kinda boring and hard to see much combat
Ya, at this level my damage output is really low so I have to rely on the aoe confuse to clear the spawns. It is a finicky power (great at times) but a +2 freak tank can nearly 1 shot me in melee, so I have to play carefully. That means leaning into two core strengths of arsenal:
A/ choke point control - Both arse and earth are phenomenal if they have a choke point to leverage 
B/ fighting around corners. This set has a lot of target location powers. You don't need to have line of sight to use them. 

Strategy
Make the ambushes travel through as many patches as possible to soften them up.
Use tricannon as a last line of defense. It has a taunt aura, so ideally only a few enemies eventually pass through all the patches which are then taunted by the cannon. Ambushes are different than regular spawns because while they obey certain aspects of aggro rules they stay focused on you even though they far exceed 16 targets. They keep coming after you, so the onslaught is relentless and is part of why typical control strategies fail and persistent patches work really well.

Tricannon taunts the AV well enough, so kill her. Just mind she has quite a bit of aoe attacks

Do you need chokepoints for Arsenal to do well?
Not at all, but if you are facing an ambush of 60+ enemies it is probably required. 

Pfft this isn't +4x8 so it doesn't count!

Give it a whirl with your own dom (or whatever character you like) and see how it goes...

Dominator (Arsenal Control - Radioactive Assault).mbd

Edited by Frosticus
  • Like 5

Congrats! Looks like fun!

I built an arse/psi dom after watching your hydra pylon vid. It's only 34 so far but it's proving to be very powerful! I'll have to give this a try, though I may just run at +0 until I get my sea legs. I really like your strategy though, very slick!

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *MiHami Heat-Fire/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 4:44 AM, Frosticus said:

What’s going on here because I heard arsenal control is really bad?
As with many things, people have a personal bias that they develop. Some let that cloud their opinions that they feel compelled to share for whatever reason.

In reality Arsenal is having an easier time with this content than my Earth dom and that earth/psi sits at the pinnacle of S tier control. 

I think I just coughed up a lung laughing ;-p.   I wasn't sold on arsenal when it came out but I gave it another whirl recently and it is easily a top tier control set for regular play.  Between the pulsing sleep and the confuse there's two AOE controls that come in very early.  

Watched the vid, nice work.

Edited by Light Petting
comment on vid

• Frosticus changed the title to Arsenal Control vs +3x8 Penny Yin TF

Wasn't loving /rad. Good set, but not particularly fun. Decided to reroll to my personal favorite - /savage

It's good. Really good. Still finessing a final build

Dominator (Arsenal Control - Savage Assault).mbd

Here's a +3x8 Yin

No insp/temps/amps/click accolades

No deaths

I don't think there are a lot of combos in the game that can match this.

• Like 1