Plant/Marine - seeking build

phooey182

Here's the one my buddy's been working towards.  Solos +2/8 paper missions just fine using just generic IOs.  3-manned 4/8 MOSTLY okay (Galaxy Archons took a while to kill with our trio, but otherwise everything got mowed down. That was also at 49 and mostly pre-slotting).  At level 49, 3/8 content was trivial, including AVs.  Two of our trio JUST hit 50 before logging for the night (the MM's still at like 45 or 46), so we haven't tried anything hard or ridiculous yet, but as far as the leveling process goes, this particular trio is probably the most powerful one we've ever done, and I personally feel like the plant/marine controller is a substantial part of that.

Since you mentioned group content, I'm gonna share all three of our builds so you can see what all our trio is working with atm.  While I do talk of solo content for information's sake, the Plant/Marine Controller and Bots/FF MM are both built more for grouping than for solo.  The Fire/Marine controller is built with an intention of being at least solo-capable, but with groups in mind.

Plant/Marine Controller (as OP requested):

Controller (Plant Control - Marine Affinity) Tweaked.mbd

This character is currently slotted with grand majority generic IOs, along with one or two Force Feedback procs.  It performs extremely well regardless, at least in generic content; I'm looking forward to when he slots it up with Set IOs as described in the build.  Carrion Creepers is probably his biggest source of damage and CC, and the full build will have it effectively perma without outside assistance, so long as he's actively fighting (and thus getting at least some Shifting Tide and Force Feedback assistance).

Fire/Marine Controller (mine):
Flarwhal - Controller (Fire Control - Marine Affinity) - Hotfeet_experiment.mbd

This character is probably 90-95% slotted with the described Set IOs.  Currently missing the purple and a couple Hamidon enhancements.  He's the 12th or 13th character I've 50'd, and even without any incarnate or purple IOs, I think he's quite possibly the highest-damage character I've ever rolled (even compared to a couple blasters and tankers).  I'd say his solo clear time isn't as fast as my fully-kitted fully-incarnated Plant/Trick Arrow Controller... YET.  But it's kinda close.  Surprisingly good CC in the form of pure knockdowns, with his ST hold procced up with more holds, which actually ends up working well even against most AVs.

Approximate build of Bots/Force Field MM (probably outdated):

Mastermind (Robotics - Force Field) Experimentation.mbd

This character is maybe 60% slotted with set IOs, but is a bit behind in levels (which is extra detrimental to an MM due to level gap of pets).  He isn't really capable of soloing (at least pre-Cardiac alpha), but provides a ton of buffs (esp defensive) and knockdowns and shifting tide procs in our trio.  He's prolly gonna reroll soon though, doesn't seem too happy with his setup.

For the plant/marine controller, Single Target suffers a bit while solo, but it brings enough buffs, debuffs, CC, and a strong enough Shifting Tides that in group content things usually just evaporate.  Our trio specifically is very energy-damage heavy, which is why we suffer against Galaxy Archons, but usually even +3/x8 archvillains are just non-threatening speedbumps.

Playstyle wise, my buddy loves to open pulls with a Whitecap->Hibernate so long as Power of the Depths is up, preferably with Carrion Creepers already active.  This eats most/all of the alpha without dying thanks to hibernate and gives time for the Flytrap, Creepers, and Coralax pet (if present) to get into combat.  He'll drop Hibernate, throw Seeds of Confusion and (if available) Water Spout, and by then the rest of us have caught up to him to join combat as well.  From there, cast things mostly at will, keep Brine and maybe ST Hold on boss+ enemies.  Things die, repeat.

---

Apologies we're not deep enough into content to try stuff like 2+ star TFs and whatnot, but hopefully it provides some help/insight/inspiration. 🙂  My buddy built his Controller focused on theme above all, so I won't say it's min/maxed to an extreme (Ice Control mighta been better EPP, for example - dunno).  But it's a strong character that fits well into group content even prior to Set IOs and Incarnates, so it's definitely worth looking at.

• Like 2

I'm slow-walking a Plant/Marine Controller right now. As I make more progress I'll post my build(s).

My personal focus is on solo play, and it is looking pretty good at this (similar to my Mind/Poison), yet... I can definitely see how the Marine Affinity blooms into a team-focused power set. I personally find it hard, despite having multiple builds to choose from, to sacrifice solo clear times to build for predominantly team support... I eventually do this, it's just a gate I have to open and walk through. So many players can build for self-sufficiency that I find the latch on the gate to be stiffer every time I approach it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later

My Plant/Marine has made it to level 50, here is the build, first an attempt at plain text:

Spoiler

Surf n’ Turf

Level 50 Mutation Controller

Primary Power Set: Plant Control

Secondary Power Set: Marine Affinity

Power Pool: Force of Will

Power Pool: Leaping

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Fighting

Ancillary Pool: Dark Mastery

Villain Profile:

------------

Level 1:                 Strangler            

(A) Gladiator's Net - Accuracy/Hold: Level 50+5

(*) Gladiator's Net - Accuracy/Endurance/Recharge/Hold: Level 50+5

(*) Gladiator's Net - Chance of Damage (Lethal)

(*) Unbreakable Constraint - Chance of Damage (Smashing): Level 50

Level 1:                 Shoal Rush

(A) Tempered Readiness - Accuracy/Endurance: Level 50+5

(*) Ice Mistral’s Torment - Chance of Damage (Cold)

(*) Impeded Swiftness - Chance of Damage (Smashing)

(*) Shield Breaker - Chance of Damage (Smashing)

(*) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance of Damage (Negative)

Level 2:                 Roots   

(A Superior Overpowering Presence - Accuracy/Mezz/Endurance: Level 50

(*)Superior Overpowering Presence - Accuracy/Mezz: Level 50

(*) Trap of the Hunter - Chance of Damage (Lethal)

(*) Positron's Blast - Chance of Damage (Energy)

(*) Bombardment - Chance of Damage (Fire)

(*) Javelin Volley - Chance of Damage (Lethal)

Level 4:                 Toroidal Bubble

(A) Steadfast Protection - Resistance/+Def 3%

Level 6:                 Mighty Leap      

(A) Blessing of the Zephyr - Knockback Reduction (4 points)

(*) Blessing of the Zephyr - Travel/Endurance Reduction

Level 8  :               Seeds of Confusion       

(A) Cacophany - Chance of Damage (Energy)

(*) Coercive Persuasion - Accuracy/Confused/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Coercive Persuasion - Confused/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Coercive Persuasion - %Contagious Confusion: Level 50

(*) Coercive Persuasion - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Coercive Persuasion - Confused/Endurance: Level 50+5

Level 10:              Whitecap           

(A) Multi-Strike - Accuracy/Endurance Reduction: Level 50+5

(*) Multi-Strike - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance Reduction: Level 50+5

(*) Armageddon - Chance of Damage (Fire): Level 50

(*) Scirocco’s Dervish - Chance of Damage (Lethal)

(*) Eradication - Chance of Damage (Energy)

(*) Explosive Strike - Chance of Damage (Smashing)

Level 12:              Project Will

(A) Apocalypse - Damage/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Apocalypse - Chance of Damage (Negative): Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Apocalypse - Damage/Endurance: Level 50+5

Level 14:              Wall of Force    

(A) Accuracy IO: Level 50+5

(*) Explosive Strike - Chance of Damage (Smashing)

Level 16:              Tide Pool            

(A) Endurance Reduction IO: Level 50+5

Level 18:              Vines   

(A) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Mezz: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Mezz/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Endurance/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Mezz/Endurance: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Accuracy/Mezz/Endurance/Recharge: Level 50

(*) Superior Will of the Controller - Recharge/Chance for Psionic Damage: Level 50

Level 20:              Brine    

(A) D-Sync: Siphon (Accuracy/Heal) Level 51

(*) D-Sync: Siphon (Accuracy/Heal) Level 51

Level 22:              Carrion Creepers            

(A) Gravitational Anchor - Accuracy/Immobilize/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Gravitational Anchor - Accuracy/Recharge: Level 50+5

(*) Ice Mistral’s Torment - Chance of Damage (Cold)

Level 24:              Shifting Tides

(A) Positron’s Blast - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance Reduction: Level 50+5

(*) Annihilation - Accuracy/Damage/Endurance Reduction: Level 50+5

Level 26:              Fly Trap               

(A) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Recharge

(*) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage

(*) Expedient Reinforcement - Accuracy/Damage/Recharge

(*) Expedient Reinforcement - Endurance/Damage/Recharge

(*) Shield Breaker - Chance of Damage (Smashing)

(*) Touch of Lady Grey - Chance of Damage (Negative)

Level 28:              Barrier Reef      

(A) Reactive Defenses - Defense

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance

(*) Reactive Defenses - Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/RechargeTime

(*) Reactive Defenses - Defense/Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Reactive Defenses - Scaling Resist Damage

Level 30:              Power of the Depths     

(A) Preventive Medicine - Heal

(*) Preventive Medicine - Heal/Endurance

(*) Preventive Medicine - Endurance/RechargeTime

(*) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime

(*) Preventive Medicine - Heal/RechargeTime/Endurance

(*) Preventive Medicine - Chance for +Absorb

Level 32:              Combat Jumping             

(A) Kismet - ToHit +6%

Level 35:              Maneuvers        

(A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed: Level 50

(*) Shield Wall - +Res (Teleportation), +5% Res (All)

(*) Shield Wall - Defense/Endurance: Level 50+5

Level 38:              Murky Cloud     

(A) Unbreakable Guard - +Max HP

(*) Unbreakable Guard - Resistance/Endurance

Level 38:              Unleash Potential     

(A) Recharge Reduction IO: Level 50+5

(*) Recharge Reduction IO: Level 50+5

Level 44:              Boxing 

(A) Crushing Impact - Accuracy/Damage: Level 50+5

Level 47:              Tough  

(A) Gladiator's Armor - TP Protection +3% Def (All)

Level 49:              Weave

(A) Luck of the Gambler - Recharge Speed: Level 50

Level 1:                 Brawl   

(A)

Level 1:                 Sprint   

(A) Stealth Unique

Level 2:                 Rest      

(A) Interrupt Duration IO

Level 2:                 Swift    

(A) Run Speed IO: Level 50+5

Level 2:                 Hurdle 

(A) Jumping IO: Level 50+5

Level 2:                 Health 

(A) Panacea - +Hit Points/Endurance

(*) Miracle - +Recovery

Level 2:                 Stamina              

(A) Performance Shifter - Chance for +End

(A) Performance Shifter - EndMod

Saved Build:

build-Plant-Marine.txt

WARNING! This is a selfish, %proctastic build for solo play! I think this build may have the most %damage I've ever put into a single build. It plays just fine for teams, but I'll reconfigure a second build for better team support. There are a couple of team powers (healing!) missing, and I'd want different slotting for almost all the powers. I'd likely also move Combat Jumping up in the build.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later

I couldn't play/enjoy a solo ranged/support/pet build of any kind without flight/hover/evasive, AND stealth of some sort. But that could just be me and my hit-n-run chicken play style, eh.

Having said that, the few standouts so far have been my Plant/Thorns dom, Ill/Dark troller, Necro/Dark MM (Beast/Emp MM was also ok-ish) and possibly my Dark/Ninja blaster. All very effective and not-too-squishy in solo play, Squids and Fortunata have been fun into the mid 20s, but I need to deck them out with sets to really see if they shine or crack under pressure soloing. But with all those you have to learn how to play keepings-off of course:

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run 

😁

So now you may have kicked my alt-o-holism in, and I have to go make a Plant/Marine troller I think. The little I've played of Marine of my Marine/Water Def into the 20s has been awesome I must say.

Edited by Nostromo21
  • Like 1

Game over man, game over!

10 hours ago, Nostromo21 said:

Having said that, the few standouts so far have been my Plant/Thorns dom, Ill/Dark troller, Necro/Dark MM (Beast/Emp MM was also ok-ish) and possibly my Dark/Ninja blaster. All very effective and not-too-squishy in solo play, Squids and Fortunata have been fun into the mid 20s, but I need to deck them out with sets to really see if they shine or crack under pressure soloing.

I find Kheldians to be fun, but they can be a drag in solo play, depending on content and settings. With Dwarf form, they can survive a lot, but even leveraging every possible trick at their disposal I find them to be incredibly slow at clearing maps, and if the difficulty is turned up they can have a LOT of trouble clearing spawns.

Up through level 20 I think the Nova form gives an incorrect assessment of how useful that form can be: Because Nova form can be taken relatively early, it is possible for a "hover blaster" to have five ranged attacks, with two of them AoE. The early game (at +0x1) isn't really balanced for a single player to have so many attacks, the trade-off comes because those Nova attacks never really get better, so above level 20 it is basically like trying to fight critters with a whole lotta low-tier ranged attacks.

Fortunata are much better in my experience, I'll provide a cautionary note that depending on which attacks are taken some enemy groups can be a PITA to clear (because of resistances).

• Thumbs Up 1

To be sure! Honestly, the most obvious face-roll solo ATs I've played were tankers - almost too easy, if slow TTK eh. My Psi/Shield was ridonculously easy mode, but just not my preferred play style, as I generally don't like melee classes in mmos (unless I'm playing a hybrid or an arpg like D3/4/PoE/LE/etc).

As someone says on the tanker forums: "Wanna be Godlike, pick anything...wanna BE a God...pick a tank😁

Plant Marine

usmc-sniper.jpg.3e09e0ab35879d5344b70222437d2b47.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, High Beam Prime (someone else has her non OG name)

Mine just hit 50 last week! I don't have any other Marine trollers to compare it to but it leveled up wonderfully! No trouble soloing but it really shines in a team! This is a leveling build so no purps/superiors/pluses.

Controller (Plant Control - Marine) 1.1 Lily Ponds.mbd

• Like 1

SCRAPPER: Sir Kit Breaker-Elec/Shield *DumDum Pounder-WM/Shield *Snoglobe-Claws/Ice *Ice Flow Joe-Axe/Ice *TANK: Gamma Goon-Rad/Rad *Bernjamin Tanklin-fire/claws *Skullgrin Von Killjoy-Invul/SS *Frozen Snowshoo-Ice/Ice Quarry Goon-Stone/SS *BRUTE: Megahertz Donut-EM/Shield *Ohm Ahgerd Stone/Elec *Shadow Goon-Dark/Dark *Devilaint Le'Z-Rad/Fire *STALKER: Double OHM 7-EM/EA *Sir Kit Interupt-Elec/Shield *TROLLER: Chilly Lilly-Ice/Rad *Chlorophyllis Vance-Plant/Storm *Mechamoo-Elec/Cold *Johnny Burnsalot-Fire/Kin *Countess Gone-Ill/Dark *Lady Gone-Dark/Dark *Calpernia Tomik-Ill/Rad *Porkchop Scallywag-Fire/Nat *Gone Daddy-Plant/Dark *Merrie Melody-Symp/Dark *Toot Sweet-Fire/Dark *Lord Gone-Grav/Dark *Misty Burnsalot-Fire/Storm *Maddie Burnsalot-Fire/Rad *DOM: Scorched Eartha-Earth/Fire *Gazebo Malarkey-Dark/Psi *Clawsin Bloom-Plant/Savage *Diatomaceous Earl-Plant/Thorn *Permafrostasha-Plant/Ice *Corn Cob Earth/Earth *MM: Stupid Robot-Bot/Elec *Dark Leader-Demons/Dark *Silas Greenback-Thugs/Time *FENDER: *Dr. Gone-Dark/Dark *BAG3L-FF/Sonic *BLASTER: PinPointress-Arch/TA *Shimmy Burnsalot-Fire/TA *Lil Beefy-Ice/Fire *H0TT-fire/fire *CORRUPTOR: Shady Burnsalot-Fire/Dark *Kinetic Koala-Ice/Kin *Atmospheric Hazel-Water/Storm *Hami Dum-Seismic/Nature *MiHami Heat-Fire/Nature *SOA *Big Gravy-Crabbermind *Sentinel: NP Seymour-Elec/Regen

4 hours ago, mistagoat said:

Mine just hit 50 last week! I don't have any other Marine trollers to compare it to but it leveled up wonderfully! No trouble soloing but it really shines in a team! This is a leveling build so no purps/superiors/pluses.

Controller (Plant Control - Marine) 1.1 Lily Ponds.mbd 48.59 kB · 2 downloads

Cheers, downloaded for reference! Love the name btw 😉 The little I've already played of mine (Aquatica Nightshade, my dom is called Belladona Nightshade :), she is a beast in groups, where trollers obviously shine. Once I get closer to the full kit in the mid-late 20s, I'll take her on some solo plant marine clandestine work lol!

I couldn't live without Stealth that long, and love my Fly/Mystic Flight (I also find Evasive Maneuvers a lot better than Hover, although you can save a pool power by going Flight/Mystic + Hover I guess). You get a damn good teleport with Mystic too of course, which is faster than Flight for traversing zones, plus you can macro auto-TP-retreat to high above mobs after alpha-pbaoe-ing them when you solo :).

Edited by Nostromo21
  • Thumbs Up 1